Send Topic Print
Mid controls (Read 488 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mid controls
Reply #15 - 06/12/12 at 05:33:09

That looks awesome Sir! Love those tanks; I'm impressed you found a real one; usually the ones I see are reproductions.
Can't wait to see what it turns out like.

Cheers!

IP Logged
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/16/12 at 15:30:12

Controls did not work out...Ryca got a little bit of my money...rear sets coming in the mail....

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/16/12 at 18:51:04

How come they didn't work out? Did the exhaust get in the way? It looked like it might from your pictures.

There was a guy who posted this picture in the Projects section. His mid controls were further forward than Ryca's for sure, but they look pretty simple to make...

IP Logged
braveteacher

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/16/12 at 19:07:29

I could have made something work...but the killer was the stand...the kick stand just sucked...with the controls...so I would have to design or purchase an old stand...So I through in the towel and went with a proven design...no big deal...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/17/12 at 05:02:52

Sometimes its best to just buy what ya need. The time & $$ spent trying to save some money is sometimes more than its worth. The learning curve can be sharp & slick. Ive crashed & burned on a few of those corners. Im learning, tho. Im not just jumping on new projects w/o studying to see if I want to hire some or all of it done, Im done with that "Well,, if He can do it, I can do it" thinking,, Yea, I probably CAN do it, but if I spent my time doing what I know, & just paid someone to do the stuff I dont, would I be ahead at the end of the day? The answer to that is the one thats hard to get right,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #20 - 06/17/12 at 09:43:00

The side stand will take fab skills if you start from scratch. I moved the left control yoke intact just for that reason......

savage_031_002.jpg

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
cobraguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 06/26/12 at 12:17:10

Kickstand side. My wife wasn't comfortable with the forward controls. I made it more like her old Rebel. She likes them now even though she can't turn hard without dragging because they're pretty low. I did the welding and fabricating. I can return it to stock at any time.
« Last Edit: 06/26/12 at 13:43:04 by cobraguy »  

Image03302012202300.jpg
  IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/26/12 at 13:47:22

Cobraguy,

That looks pretty slick. Any more details? Looks like you welded up reinforcement for the kickstand pivot. How did you connect the shfter?

John in the PRC

IP Logged
cobraguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 06/26/12 at 14:36:35

I had a piece of 2x4 1/4 wall extruded aluminum tube that I carved up for the brackets. I did have to buy a right side peg, shift lever and kick stand from my local MC salvage yard. The brackets bolt to the frame. The only mod to the frame was trimming off the gusset for the lower left control mount. I can take more pics of details if your interested. I just didn't want to load up the site with tons of pics that few people would be interested in.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/26/12 at 15:50:43

Methinks this WOULD be an interesting topic. The Ryca rearsets aren't appropriate for a Scrambler or Street Tracker project bike. It's just that they are already engineered and proven to work. Not everybody wants their feet back that far.

I was working on my CL350 Honda Scrambler the other day and discovered that the  footpegs and sidestand came off as an assembly. Each side bolts to the frame tube under the engine with a couple of bolts. I didn't do any measuring but I'd think something similar could be adapted to the savage. The kickstand bracket, being a part of the footpeg assembly would be plenty strong enough. Those old Hondas aren't lightweights.

John in the PRC

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 06/26/12 at 16:06:02

So they paint the cylinder silver again nowadays?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:24:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mid controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.