wary of buying s40 (Read 599 times)
zippythezip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Springhill,Nova Scotia, Canada
wary of buying s40
06/10/12 at 18:11:24

Hello folks, just sold my poor old 30yr old cb750c after 15 years due to losing the war with corrosion and rust. but no problems after 45000km at all..
Then in my local showroom I saw a s40, I have a few days to decide on buying or not. I even looked at an 03 with 6000km on the clock, very nice for $3200.
The bike I need to take me to work for a few months a year, 26km each way, rain or shine. so maybe I will clock between 6000-8000km per year. I dont take highways or run with the "Tim Horton" crowd, speed does not interest me at all now days, just enjoy the ride.  Smiley
Then I came here, you guys have a very nice site here with lots of info.
So now I am thinking if I buy one of these bikes first the cam chain adjuster is going to fail at a silly low amout of kms in its only 2nd year on the road..
I am not mechanically inclined and now am a bit wary of buying one of these bikes.
Can you guys still recomend one of thes bikes?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: wary of buying s40
Reply #1 - 06/10/12 at 18:27:12

Well zip, if maintenance is not your cup of tea and taking off the clutch cover seems like brain surgery... no this bike is not for you.

Otherwise... if you're willing to learn, we'll give you the instructions.  If you're unsure of yourself, we'll watch and give a clue to the next step.  All you got to do is ask, explain the situation as clearly as you can.  And guess what... we do that for free.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
zippythezip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/10/12 at 18:39:44

yes you may be correct. Now if all new machines came fiited with your gizmo then I could sleep at night better. I just cant believe suzuki would continue selling bikes with known defects.

IP Logged
kritchie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario Canada
Reply #3 - 06/10/12 at 18:40:35

these are great little bikes and really are not that hard to understand.  from what you are saying you want out of a bike, the savage sound perfect.  and this site has been a god send for me every one on here is more then willing to help and give really good advise.

IP Logged
zippythezip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/10/12 at 18:52:01

kritchie wrote on 06/10/12 at 18:40:35:
these are great little bikes and really are not that hard to understand.  from what you are saying you want out of a bike, the savage sound perfect.  and this site has been a god send for me every one on here is more then willing to help and give really good advise.

Well must admit I have enjoyed reading about the bikes.
But I am feeling now a low km bike is a better bet than a new one, I may be more inclined to "try" and work on an older machine. I have looked over the cam chain fix a few times now.
Thanks for the replies guys.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/10/12 at 18:57:22

losing the war with corrosion and rust.

Dang, teamed up on ya did they?

KNown "Defects",, yea,, could be better, requires a certain amount of paying attention, but it wont just blow up on ya if ya keep an eye on it,.
Ive seen one with around 90,000 miles on it, so, theyre not exactly "defective". There are ways to get better service life outta the chain, like Versys gizmo & riding more miles per start. Im thinking eliminating some teeth on the tensioner would be a good move, but I wont be proving it, cuz Im selling mine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 06/10/12 at 19:00:06

A lot has been said about the timing chain tensioner, but it's not a weakness--just something that wears out. I checked mine at 17,000 MILES and fixed it for about $50 in parts, while fixing the cap plug leak, also a small issue. Many cars and trucks need a timing belt change every 70,000 miles or so to keep from ruining the engine. Riding one the way you do it will last forever. Stay on here and learn about the Savage while you approach the "problem" mileage. Then you can make an informed decision as to working on it or having it done. There has to be someone on here who lives close enough to you to do it for you when needed. Four hours, tops. Buy it, you'll like it.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/10/12 at 20:14:50

zippythezip wrote on 06/10/12 at 18:39:44:
yes you may be correct. Now if all new machines came fiited with your gizmo then I could sleep at night better. I just cant believe suzuki would continue selling bikes with known defects.

Depends on what you call a defect.

Head bolts are supposed to be retorqued every 5k miles.  At that time it would be simple to inspect the cam chain as well.  But because we owners are "defective" the maintenance is not done at the required intervals.

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 06/10/12 at 20:31:37

One thing about the S40 is it's pretty much "old school"; i.e., in many ways it's a kinda throwback to the 50's & 60's glory days of the Brits and the "old" Harleys (newer Harleys are hi-tech).   Simply put... it's made to be simple.   However, remember those old dinos all died out because the Japanese ate their lunch.  They produced bikes you could ride day in and day out without having to wrench on them all the time.   It was a paradigm shift in motorcycledom because in the old days, if you wanted to ride, you needed mechanical skills.

I think one of the things that makes the Zuk attractive among it's following is its nearly limitless mods and customs options.   It's like starting with a piece of unfinished art that you can complete.   This won't appeal to everyone, but among a certain few it's an opportunity, that newer hi-tech bikes just don't adhere to as well.   A analogy might be like trying to hot rod a new hybrid car.

Every motorcycle has it's own character and personality, so it's hard to say which is good and bad because of dependencies.   If your goal is to ride everyday, and you have little desire to learn about maintenance, then there are plenty of other bikes that are more appropriate.   This is all my opinion, of course, and others may disagree.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 06/11/12 at 06:38:34

Welcome Zippy... justa few thoughts

For the type driving you want, I think the this bike is the best you can find for the money. Period. That said, @ $3200 your paying full on retail, which seems kinda high to me. Do know that the even though you are only losing 100cc, this is much less powerful bike than the multi-cylinder 750.

I am a motocyle nooblett myself, but the automatic cam chain adjuster was an improvment to old style which was manual. I am still wrapping my head around how the thing fully works, but I gather that throttle-abuse and hyper-short trips will reveal the weakness of the design while normal use and daily commutes will prove the design as workable.  

As I have decided is true with many things... its not being able to buy something... its being able to get parts and service after the sale. I would look around for people that are local that have this bike (this is the S40), get input from them on if it works well there ( mine is very cold natured) and how good support is.  

PS: on this being the best bike.. I still like parallel motors better... Wheres the love for a good Kaw 550 LTD or a Yam 550 Maxim? These need to come back.

IP Logged
zippythezip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/11/12 at 08:14:53

well thanks for the replies, friendly place you have here.
I am going to check out the 2nd hand bike tomorrow, as much as I am wary there is something about the look of this bike that draws me to it  Smiley
It may not have the power of my old bike but I can live with that, I think it will fit my needs well. Spend winter in my very small garden shed is one. As far as maintaining the bike its been a long time since I got dirty.
I remember taking bikes apart many many years ago, Triumph Tiger, yamaha 180, Suzuki GT250, would be a few of my victims. Wink
Prices for s40 here are $7000 new(with taxes) and 2nd hand bikes also command a high price. The bike I am looking at has 4800km comes with rack, saddlebags, windscreen, and a large rack bag( what ever its called)
It has been spending life doing many many short trips across town.
Thanks again, will let you know what i get up to.

IP Logged
Africord
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/11/12 at 08:15:01

Agree with the other posters.  This is a simple bike to run, but $3,200 is too high.  A year ago, we picked up a 02 for $1,850 with roughly the same mileage.  So far, we have changed the oil and put a Big Crank battery in it, for a total of 45 minutes maintenance time.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/11/12 at 08:22:03

Africord wrote on 06/11/12 at 08:15:01:
Agree with the other posters.  This is a simple bike to run, but $3,200 is too high.  A year ago, we picked up a 02 for $1,850 with roughly the same mileage.  So far, we have changed the oil and put a Big Crank battery in it, for a total of 45 minutes maintenance time.  

The prices in Novia Scotia probably don't relate to the prices in your area.  I know that the Cincinnati area prices are very high compared to the prices I can find on Craigslist when I search cities in the south or west.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #13 - 06/11/12 at 08:28:04

zip,
  To give you an idea of what you should spend, I bought my bike when it was about 2-3 years old and it only had 3K miles on it, bought it for $2000 and probably could have paid less but I was young and excited to buy a bike at all so I did not haggle with the person. I kept it outside for years until I decided to start parking it in my bedroom. usually a cover and regular cleaning and polishing keeps them in fine condition no matter where they are stored. I didnt ad the versalvy cam chain tensioner until I hit 9K miles and I didnt even need it then I just put it in cuz I had the crankcase cover off and it seemed like a good idea. Hope you find a great deal becasue I know you will love this bike and this forum.

splash

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 06/11/12 at 08:50:05

I would not worry so much about the cam chain tensioner, you can always just pay someone to install a Verslavvy when the time comes.  

If you will be putting so many kms on the bike each year, I'd be more concerned with the riding position, sitting on your tailbone that much.  Your old CB was probably a lot more comfy than the S40 will be over long distances, because of both the riding position and level of vibration.  There are a couple of modifications that will help.. like changing the seat, switching to Progressive shocks, and forward controls.. but the riding position is still "feet forward" pretty much whatever you do.  That is the thing to evaluate carefully, whether or not you will find it comfortable enough for your commute.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:33:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wary of buying s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.