Send Topic Print
Oil leak & more (Read 44 times)
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil leak & more
06/09/12 at 18:29:42

Ok so I got my bike, 99 Savage w/5500 miles, last yr for $1800. I think I overpaid but now I'm really confirming it. My first highway trip ended in a mechanics shop. I went 15 miles on country highway in Indiana & the sob made a loud pop & I lost all power. I tried several times to restart it but no luck. After the mechanic looked at it he said all he could see was I was leaking oil & my rectifier was going bad. I was getting 10-16 volts & sometimes 8. I couldnt afford to replace it so i took it home. Well it wasn't 1 week later & the sob died again on me & wouldn't start. The whole week up to that it began back firing louder & louder. Well I pulled the carb out as some people here stated I should & it was clean. I replaced the plug & it fired up. Still dies on me & still waiting to find a rectifier on eBay cheap. Well over the winter I noticed a lg amt of oil on the motor fins. I couldn't & still can't find what's causing it. It's only back by the pipe that's oily & then gravity has been pulling it out towards the front is what I assume.  Well I also noticed about 1/8 in oil puddle inside the air box. So im really lost. The pipe is resl rusty on the inside too  Any and all help would be helpful as I'm limited in knowledge of mechanics. Basically been a hands on trial & error.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Oil leak & more
Reply #1 - 06/09/12 at 18:39:28

Oil is likely a rubber plug under the head cover... $15 DIY fix, (see Tech section)..

Do this test for your running problem, oil in air filter problem... very common.  Easy DIY fix too...
Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

$1800 for a 5k 99',.. ain't a steal, but it ain't awful either...  Test the petcock first...  see what happens.  

as for rectifier...,... not sure... Do you trust the guy that tested it?...
Rectifier failure is rare on this bike... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/09/12 at 18:45:53

I've tried the petcock & it works fine. Another problem I had/have is the choke. It revs itself pretty high if I leave it on half choke longer than 20 secs but not in full. Is any of this normal?

IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/09/12 at 18:47:52

Don't really know the guy, he was the cheapest I could find but I did watch the meter he had hooked up to it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:27:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak & more

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.