Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
an oil question (sorry) (Read 274 times)
nuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

an oil question (sorry)
06/09/12 at 17:23:12

Well the daughters bike had the 600 mile service. I put a tank of premium from a station that has alot turnover and added 3oz of Seafoam then rode 75 miles. I then removed the brass plug. It was 2 turns out from the factory. I went to 2 and a half. It ran different and it may have been too much. I now went to 2 and a quarter. I have had to turn the idle screw out to lower the idle. I just filled with regular (not much turn over. I will see. Shejust now road aroynd the school parking lot after a first full day of riding at the MSF course. Anyway when I change oil in 500 miles I want to goto a synthetic to help the shifting. My question is 10-40 or 20-50?. I may try Amsoil. It is in the high 80's here in Indiana.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: an oil question (sorry)
Reply #1 - 06/09/12 at 17:31:22

You can use Amsoil if ya want.  But you can also save yourself quite abit by using Rotella T6 which is a full synthetic that is also JASO approved.  I as well as lots of others here use it in these little savages, as well as lots of other motorcycles.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/09/12 at 18:13:10

It's probably okay,.. but I'd wait 'till 1,000 miles before switching to synth...
... and regular unleaded is fine for this engine... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 06/09/12 at 19:30:53

Serow, his question, which I nearly missed also, is 10w40 or 20w50? I ride in mostly moderate temps of 40 to some mid 90s here in Mississippi with Rotella Dino 15w40, but Serowbot and others ride in hotter climes. 10w40 is actually recommended in the manual with ranges in other directions for extremes. My guess is 10w40 unless you sit and idle a lot, and we don't recommend that at all for bike or rider.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/09/12 at 23:41:44

Boofer wrote on 06/09/12 at 19:30:53:
Serow, his question, which I nearly missed also, is 10w40 or 20w50? I ride in mostly moderate temps of 40 to some mid 90s here in Mississippi with Rotella Dino 15w40, but Serowbot and others ride in hotter climes. 10w40 is actually recommended in the manual with ranges in other directions for extremes. My guess is 10w40 unless you sit and idle a lot, and we don't recommend that at all for bike or rider.  Grin

Ohh!... Grin...
10w-40...  better starting, faster oil circulation at start... if you're paying for synth, I imagine you're looking for longest engine life... the first 30 seconds from cold start is crucial...

High 80's is chilly in my neck of the woods... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
nuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/10/12 at 03:45:47

10-40 it is. And deffinitly synthetic @ 1100 miles. I run dino Rotella in my BMW. For this next change I am willing to pay extra if anyone has had experience with a particular synthetic improving the shifting. as a new rider I want it to shift easier for my daughter. She finishes her last day of the MSF course today, and a satisfactory completion is used as the Indiana riding skills test. So hopefully she can go to the BMV tommorow and update her drivers license. Anyway this is a clunky shifter and I found when it fully warms up it gets worse. thanks

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/10/12 at 05:10:44

I use Klotz synthetic racing oil 15-50 I've had a lot of bikes I don't think the S40 shifts any harder than any of the others.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #7 - 06/10/12 at 05:46:36

nuster wrote on 06/10/12 at 03:45:47:
10-40 it is. And deffinitly synthetic @ 1100 miles. I run dino Rotella in my BMW. For this next change I am willing to pay extra if anyone has had experience with a particular synthetic improving the shifting. as a new rider I want it to shift easier for my daughter. She finishes her last day of the MSF course today, and a satisfactory completion is used as the Indiana riding skills test. So hopefully she can go to the BMV tommorow and update her drivers license. Anyway this is a clunky shifter and I found when it fully warms up it gets worse. thanks

A lot of us use Shell Rotella T6 5W40 with out any issues. The Savage/S40 will shift better with frequent oil changes no matter what kind of oil you use. I can tell when my bike needs an oil change by how it starts to shift harder and by oil consumption. Changing oil (no matter what kind/brand) every 3000 miles will help with hard shifting.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/10/12 at 06:07:42

If it shifts harder with 3000 miles you must be getting engine wear and small metal partials and more blow by,I would recommend any good synthetic motorcycle oil for less wear on the engine.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/11/12 at 05:34:32

The Suzuki Manual recommends 10W-40 for temperature ranges from -4F to 104+F.  The manual also allows the use of 20W-50 for temperature ranges from 14F to 104+, and 15W-40 is between the two at somewhere around 0F to 104+.

Since the lower range occurs at temperatures where my bike will remain parked - I have no problem using any of the grades during "my" riding season.  When the temperatures drops below 50F I will not be riding my bike!

I don't believe the difference between 10W-40,m 15W-40, or 20W-50 is going to make much difference at all.  The type and brand of oil will be more likely to make a difference - avoid cheap bargain oils and use a good motorcycle oil.......or Rotella....and you will be unlikely to have any oil related problems.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #10 - 01/08/15 at 18:12:29

I went to WalMart today and purchased a gallon of Rotella Synthetic and they only had 5W-40. Am I going to be safe using this over the winter?

How about summer time?

Who besides WalMart sells Rotella?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 01/08/15 at 18:32:21

Did you by chance mean 15w40? I don't think I'd run 5w40.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/08/15 at 18:38:34

Kenny G wrote on 01/08/15 at 18:12:29:
I went to WalMart today and purchased a gallon of Rotella Synthetic and they only had 5W-40. Am I going to be safe using this over the winter?

How about summer time?

Who besides WalMart sells Rotella?

Kenny G

that's all I use.
5w-40 is fine, 5w is only when it's ice cold.
at room temp, both oils will be near the same viscosity so they pour easy.  
and when they're warm, they're 40.

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/08/15 at 20:31:50

Verslagen,

Thank You!

This forum is much much better than most of the forums related to the previous motorcycles that I have owned.

Somewhere on the forum someone mentioned not to put the "Synthetic" oil in until 1100 miles. If that is what I should be doing, should I drain the factory oil at 600 miles and replace it with more factory oil?

Who besides WalMart will have Rotella?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 01/08/15 at 21:21:20

Kenny G wrote on 01/08/15 at 20:31:50:
Verslagen,

Thank You!

This forum is much much better than most of the forums related to the previous motorcycles that I have owned.

Somewhere on the forum someone mentioned not to put the "Synthetic" oil in until 1100 miles. If that is what I should be doing, should I drain the factory oil at 600 miles and replace it with more factory oil?

Who besides WalMart will have Rotella?

Kenny G

I'd try a Shell station if Walmart didn't have regular Rotella T, after all, it's their brand
Also any truck stop should carry it

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › an oil question (sorry)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.