Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust gasket material (Read 107 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Exhaust gasket material
06/09/12 at 14:11:02

Still on the quest for the perfect gasket to use between my header and muffler! I am using the tin can method which isn't bad. I did some searching and found Percy's XX Carbon header gasket material and Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal header gasket material. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with either of these products. Will it wrap around our header? I was only able to find 1 review where the Mr. Gasket was used on a bike and he said it may not wrap around a pipe smaller than 2". When I read reviews, I toss out the best and the worst and concentrate in the middle. With only one review, there is nothing to concentrate on! Anyhow, these materials are rated to 2000*. I would rather use this than the high temp copper silicone sealer. Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Exhaust gasket material
Reply #1 - 06/09/12 at 14:19:03

HOw good is the fit? Are there enough slots in the muffler to crimp down tight? What kinda clamp are you using?

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=t-bolt+clamps+stainless+steel

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 06/09/12 at 14:22:37

I just ordered a couple of that style of clamp. No one around here had one that wrapped all the way around. There is an overall 1/16" difference between muffler and header. I didn't cut slits in this one since I didn't think I would be able to seal the area directly behind the slits since it is a little heavier steel than the HD muffler.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/09/12 at 14:31:17

If you have a measured 1/16th difference, look for some 1/32nd shim stock. Or a few thou skinnier.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 06/09/12 at 14:36:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/09/12 at 14:31:17:
If you have a measured 1/16th difference, look for some 1/32nd shim stock. Or a few thou skinnier.

While I was in the bathroom I had that thought exactly. (I do my best thinking there) My only concern was heat, but then I figured if my potato can can take it, shims should be able to as well.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/09/12 at 14:37:03

I recommend cutting the slots... just cut them the same length as the stock slot, and if your clamp seals that one, it'll seal them all...
It just won't neck down far enough without them...
Then,.. the tin can will work pretty darn good...  Wink...
No sealant or paste will last... You might find leaded muffler tape.. that can work.. try a muffler shop?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 06/09/12 at 14:53:54

JOG, shim material is expensive. I found that aluminim foil melts at 1220*F. Perhaps a few layers of that would work?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 06/09/12 at 14:54:54

Serowbot wrote on 06/09/12 at 14:37:03:
I recommend cutting the slots... just cut them the same length as the stock slot, and if your clamp seals that one, it'll seal them all...
It just won't neck down far enough without them...
Then,.. the tin can will work pretty darn good...  Wink...
No sealant or paste will last... You might find leaded muffler tape.. that can work.. try a muffler shop?...

Yeah, I will probably cut the slots. I need to remove the muffler to re-paint it and don't want to have to deal with a leak.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 06/09/12 at 15:08:37

Serowbot, why do you specify a tin can instead of aluminum can?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/09/12 at 16:29:44

Greg wrote on 06/09/12 at 15:08:37:
Serowbot, why do you specify a tin can instead of aluminum can?

Stronger and thicker...  I never tried aluminum...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 06/09/12 at 16:42:55

Just a thought here, But why not just take the header and muffler down to the local muffler shop and have them enlarge the header pipe to the right size for the muffler.  I'm sure it wouldn't cost but a few dollars at the most and just a few mins to get it done, then you wouldn't have to worry about using any shims at all.

On the subject of Mufflers, is anyone using the Ryca reverse cone mufflers?  I was wondering how they sound.  If it's somewhere in between stock and my loud as heck Jardine I may just pick one of those up.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 06/09/12 at 16:48:14

rfw2003 wrote on 06/09/12 at 16:42:55:
Just a thought here, But why not just take the header and muffler down to the local muffler shop and have them enlarge the header pipe to the right size for the muffler.  I'm sure it wouldn't cost but a few dollars at the most and just a few mins to get it done, then you wouldn't have to worry about using any shims at all.

R.F.

Because that makes too much sense!  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/09/12 at 18:17:44

Or because that thing is double walled & welded.. '

there mite be enough of the external header pipe pokin past where the internal pipe mates, IDK, but have a look before ya go runnin off with it,

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 06/09/12 at 19:35:30

I notice a lot of questions about the clamp. I used what I assume is the stock Suzuki clamp on my Harley muffler, but the Dr Pepper can gasket has finally let go and leaks a little. I guess I should have used the Mountain Dew gasket as some recommend.  Embarrassed

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:28:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust gasket material

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.