Send Topic Print
Stuck mixture screw (Read 165 times)
TheShaggyDA
YaBB Newbies

England
Stuck mixture screw
06/09/12 at 12:29:22

Hi all.

Having done a search and found a reference in this thread : http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277/17#17 I've got a question of freeing a stuck mixture screw. Mine doesn't even shift at all - I've sprayed it with WD40, but as you can see in the photo, it's not even recessed, so there's no space to leave a puddle of it to soak over night. I'm wondering exactly how many turns this one is out already Smiley

It's a 1994 model with a straight through pipe that bangs and farts all the time after closing the throttle. I do have the stock silencer (that I'll need to put on anyway for the MOT in July) so I may just put that on now and see if it calms down a bit.

So, any hints of how I can free up this screw?

« Last Edit: 06/09/12 at 15:00:50 by TheShaggyDA »  

mixture_screw.png
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Stuck mixture screw
Reply #1 - 06/09/12 at 12:52:09

The mixture screw has a cap over it. & the head is much smaller. A pocket screwdriver will spin it, fingertips are all thats needed.
Before you turn it to adjust it, mark where the slot lines up & count the turns in to close it, write that down. That way, you can always get back to "square one". When you close it, be very gentle. Its a fine point of brass in there, fingertips on the screwdriver,secretary fingertips, not Six Million Dollar man fingertips.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheShaggyDA
YaBB Newbies

England
Reply #2 - 06/09/12 at 13:00:14

Ah thanks - thought it looked a bit big, too Smiley

Ok, any tips on how to unscrew a stuck cap? The edges of the slot are already starting to burr, and I'm reluctant to take the impact driver to it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/09/12 at 13:03:36

The cap is factory installed to keep people like YOU from messin with it, dude! There is no slot. Gotta drill into it & Not jam the bit in & mess up the adjuster. A piece of tape around the bit 3 or 4 times is your friend, just a hair back from the end of the bit. A screw that wont wreck the adjuster stuck in it & some pliers & youre in bizniss.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheShaggyDA
YaBB Newbies

England
Reply #4 - 06/09/12 at 13:06:04

Can't you see my picture?

Here's Serowbot's picture from his guide, showing a plug :-

And here's my carb, with a slot :-

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/09/12 at 13:22:30

Yeaaaa,, I saw th pic,, but it was a bit too close up for me to know exactly what I was lookin at. Thanks for the added pic from Rowboat.. Im gonna hafta sit back & see what the smart guys say now, Chill a while, dude..But right now Im thinkin youre gonna need that impact..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/09/12 at 13:25:23

it's possible the mixture screw has backed all the way out.

Plugs don't have slots, be careful.

no way would I touch that with an impact

WWW   IP Logged
TheShaggyDA
YaBB Newbies

England
Reply #7 - 06/09/12 at 13:30:09

Aye, I wish it were a plug - I'd have had it out by now Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/09/12 at 14:21:45

Vers,, what do you spose that is stuffed in there?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/09/12 at 15:19:02

either it's the mixture screw or a plug.

I think the mixture screw is a little smaller than the hole.  so there should be a gap around the outside.

if it's a tight fit, it's a plug

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/09/12 at 18:13:44

Yea, seems to me the slot & head on the mix screw are a lot smaller.
Id get a screwdriver that fits that slot REAL good, I mite even take a file & cut a small groove  in the driver face, one on each side, on the edge thats got to Bite, just above the end of the driver, the upper edge of that groove needs to be just above the top of the slot. Ive done that on a screw on a gun,, I won,
also, if the edges are getting "fuzzy", take a pin punch & with a very light "hammer",, extension, whatever,,tap the edges of the slot very carefully back into place. The carb isnt mounted solid, so you may be ahead pulling it.
Smacking the handle of a screwdriver, seating it in the slot, shocks the plug,,never a bad I dea. YOu may be able to win with it on the bike. If the driver slips, you feel the carb push away,, pull it.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 07/28/12 at 21:54:17

I'm gettin' caught up on old threads I missed and this one piqued my curiosity.  So much so that I got up off my dead azz and out to the garage for a photo op.  Here is a closeup of the pilot screw on my bike (see signature block).  The plug was removed years ago and the carb is stock.  Last I checked, the pilot screw was 1 3/4 turns out from being fully seated:

You can see that, a ways into the hole, that said hole's diameter necks down a bit.  To my un-calibrated eyeball, it looks as if the diameter decreases by about 1/32" at that point.

I don't know what the OP has in there, but it don't look to me like the pilot screw that I've got in mine.  The head of his screw (or, whatever it is) appears to fill the full diameter of the first part of the hole, the bigger part.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 07/29/12 at 04:00:02

Dija ever think that we mite be looking at someones feeble attempt to remove the plug, not knowing how it comes out ?
That maybe someone hacked that slot in the plug thinking it must turn out ?
No,.....I'm not tellin ya to drill it and just pull it out w/ a screw !!

But, I have a suggestion,.....
If it idles good, leave the dam thing alone.....before you end up needing a whole new carb-er-ator ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/29/12 at 08:11:27

Thats not a groove put in by some klutz, no marks on the carb, slot goes cleanly to edge, cap is so thin I doubt a groove that deep can be put in it, I wish the OP would come back & say a bit more

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 07/29/12 at 13:54:50

But maybe it was a very good/careful klutz ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:16:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stuck mixture screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.