Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carb increasingly floods as is throttle opened (Read 67 times)
aludy2091
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

carb increasingly floods as is throttle opened
06/07/12 at 23:24:17

Here is my issue. I bought a 00 savage 650 with like 1000 miles, had been sitting. It ran fine on rusty fuel. I then installed an inline fuel filter and inline shutoff because the petcock failed. Rode it 2 hours north to school, no issues thank god.
Then the next time I started it up it would idle fine the flood when I accelerated. I got fuel in airbox, into crank, and spit back up warm oil/gas. I changed it out and drained airbox. cut and plugged both ends of the vacuum petcock lines to make the tank-to-carb delivery be gravity fed like a dirtbike carb and rely on the float valve while riding and inline shut off for peace of mind while parked.

--Here's where I'm at now. When parked and idling with the airbox open it idles fine, but when I open the throttle it pissed fuel into the airbox, the more I open it up; the more fuel dumps into the carb/airbox. It actually ignited and threw a flame out  Shocked... glad to have an oily rag nearby to smother the air-box within seconds. Grin. I called a suzuki dealer, they told me all the usual things, but couldn't for the life of them couldn't figure out how so much gas could dump into the carb like that. Any ideas or sugestions would be greatly appreciated I need to fix this thing.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: carb increasingly floods as is throttle opened
Reply #1 - 06/07/12 at 23:36:03

take the bowl off and check that the main isn't sitting in the bowl.

if that isn't the case, take the carb off and look it over.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/08/12 at 05:32:03

Have you checked the oil level in the crankcase?  It could be the carb has overflowed and filled the crankcase with gasoline - and when the rpm's come up the oily fuel is blown out the engine and through the breather and into the air box.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/08/12 at 05:58:01

And if you've had any fuel at all in the crankcase, you need to get it ALL out. Change the oils and filter; run a few miles and check for gas. If there is any, repeat.
Sounds like your carb needs to be pulled off and thoroughly cleaned and put back together. I don't know what it is, but something sure ain't right about that, and if it's catching on fire, I'd say you'd better park that thing until you're sure you get it fixed.

Good luck!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/08/12 at 06:43:20

Teabowl makes a good point or 2 there. I wouldnt start it again till Id had that carb apart & found the problem, & an oil change mite not be necessary, but it sure is cheaper than an engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/08/12 at 07:39:26

Justin's right, the oil change might not be necessary, but I've been told that gas in your bottom end can ruin seals and other parts and wreak havoc with your clutch. Plus, it will decrease the oil's ability to oil stuff, which is why you put that stuff in there.

At the very least you should check to be sure that you aren't driving around with a bunch of gas in there, just to be safe. Others here are more expert in these matters, but if it were my bike, I wouldn't risk it.

Whatever the cause turns out to be, that much gas going all over the place and setting stuff on fire is a pretty serious problem! You don't want your legs, or your goods, to be the next pieces going up in flames...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/08/12 at 08:03:46

aludy2091 wrote on 06/07/12 at 23:24:17:
I then installed an inline fuel filter and inline shutoff because the petcock failed. Rode it 2 hours north to school, no issues thank god.

Did you disconnect the vac line too?
Otherwise, if the petcock diaphragm has failed, it could be leaking fuel into the case that way.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:32:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb increasingly floods as is throttle opened

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.