Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5000 miles? (Read 138 times)
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
5000 miles?
06/07/12 at 18:30:20

So I'm a definite newby when it comes to motorcycles, I've only owned one for about a month and never rode anything but the occasional dirtbike before that.  So here's my question, I have an '02 that rolled over 5000 miles yesterday.  I've put a new battery in it and have the stuff to change my oil this weekend and I'm in the market for new tires because of dry rot.  What other maintenance should I be concerned with based on age and mileage?  By the way, I'm mechanically inclined enough to do minor work myself, rebuilding a carb with instructions is about as high as I go though.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 5000 miles?
Reply #1 - 06/07/12 at 18:33:56

Check the valve adjustment... (easy)... see Tech section for how...
Welcome to SS.com  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/07/12 at 19:23:43

Yep, youve just graduated to Valve Adjustment time,,Its okay,, youll survive it,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/07/12 at 20:58:22

Welcome Brian, there is a wealth of knowledge here from guys that have seen and done it all.   Soak in the wisdom.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/07/12 at 22:33:21

get u a manual..
time to tighten a bunch o bolts
more to lube than just crankcase oil
check your air cleaner and spark plug
fuel ilne and vapor hose inspection if ca model
throttle cable play clutch cable play,rear brake adj/play front pads
belt tire pressure
steering
front fork
get a manual    priceless

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #5 - 06/07/12 at 22:56:12

A laundry list of inspections to do. Grab yourself a manual, it has all the checks you need to perform at a given mileage (5,000 is a milestone) and the specs for the appropriate adjustments.

However, at 5,000 miles I feel you will find most items you inspect will be near spec and require little to no adjustment. It is more of a housekeeping thing to keep your mind clear. None the less if there is an outstanding item you can fix it now, remove the hazard, and prevent it from getting worse a few thousand miles down the road!

Check eBay for a Clymers manual. I got mine for a bargain at 20 bucks off there. Greases finger prints all over it remind me that I continue to get my Jackson's worth out of it.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 06/08/12 at 09:46:55

Embarrassed  Reminders of several things I didn't do at 5000 miles.  I'm over 8000 now, guess I have a few things to check too.

Oh, Brian, when you get a Clymers manual, be sure to go to the Tech section and review errors that are in the book.  We have a list posted.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/08/12 at 10:40:12

Whats wrong with the Suzuki owners manual?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Reply #8 - 06/08/12 at 13:54:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/08/12 at 10:40:12:

never seen one that gave enough info to work on anything.  And I don't have one.

I've got a Clymer manual, just haven't had time to sit down with it. Got it and a bunch of other junk included with the bike.  Thinking of devoting this Saturday to working on the bike.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I've learned a lot on this forum, and also learned how much I have left to learn.  I have to say that riding this thing is the most fun I've had in a long time.  If only my old man was still around to see it, he might have a stroke.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 06/08/12 at 14:01:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/08/12 at 10:40:12:

It's more expensive and doesn't have color-coded diagrams.  It's also more accurate and more thorough.  I have both.  The Clymers has what most folks need, provided they know about this site and will look up the listing of all the stuff that's wrong in it.  While it's certainly possible that something is wrong in the Suzuki manual, I haven't found it yet.  My Clymers has corrections and notes written into it while my Suzuki manual, which is hole-punched, has no writing in it and is in a binder along with a few sheets of documentation from add-on items like my tach.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/08/12 at 14:47:39

Good answer, thanks,,
Ill admit Ive been frustrated a time or 2 with the Zuke manual, but with patience, Ive found the info I needed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:32:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 5000 miles?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.