Send Topic Print
Different tank fit (Read 268 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Different tank fit
06/07/12 at 16:30:39

Hi All,

I am trying out different tanks for our street tracker project. The one I have here is from an early 80's GS450L, I believe. The tunnel gets wider in the back to accommodate the split frame tubes. It will need some persuasion with a BFH, as it doesn't quite fit over the frame rails. Either the front “ears” will have to be moved or the donuts on the frame moved but no biggie.

The capacity is three and one fourth gallons as measured. I think is looks less "cruiserish" than the stock tank. It certainly is less wide than the Savage tank. Would like something smaller but there is those frame rails in the back that require a wide tunnel. Certainly less pricey that the Ryca tank, if not as skinny from the side. I never liked the speedo in the stock tank and the Ryca fix of covering it up with a plate is a clever idea. Seems Suzuki was trying hard to emulate the Hardly Abelson  look with the instrument in the tank. The Ryca people went all out in using stock components which is all right for those who don't have the desire to haunt junkyards or do fabrication. Me, I'm cheap and LIKE to go to junkyards.

John in the PRC

Here is a trial fit on the bike:

Here's an overlay of the "new" tank in yellow outline in front of the red stock tank.

What do you think?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Different tank fit
Reply #1 - 06/07/12 at 18:24:45

Honest Injun?...  I'm not sure it's different enough to justify the change...
... but, that's just me...  
Although,.. it does remove the speedo...

Still interested in seeing and hearing about the install though... Wink...

Pssst!...  Why are the letters upside-down?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 06/07/12 at 18:45:36

If the GS450L tank works for you, try using a GS450E tank from the same years. The 450E tank will give you more of a cafe racer look.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/07/12 at 19:20:33

Yes, I was sorta disappointed also that it wasn't that much of a change in the profile. Big thing is getting rid of the speedo and having a narrower tank. I just couldn't see a Scrambler or Street Tracker with the stock tank, even sectioned a la Ryca.

But it seems a relatively easy modification and not too hard to mount. There may be better solutions there somewhere. After the bike is actually running it can always be changed. Maybe the choice of colors could make it seem less bulky.

Or to get philosophical, "The best is the enemy of the good", attributed to Voltaire. Me, I'll stick with, "Good 'nuff for gummint work" just to get the project off to a start.

Now to finish detailing the Honda Scrambler so I can sell it and make room for the Suzuki.

John in the PRC

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/07/12 at 22:45:45

Truly... as much as I like the Ryca,.. the weakest link is the tank...  
I'd have gone for a aluminium cafe' tank, for that price... the modded key bezel just looks add-on to me...

...a la...

Dream bike... (I have this one framed, on my wall) Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/08/12 at 07:17:56

I'm not sure what that bike is Sero, but it sure is dreamy!
I agree; the GS tank doesn't look much different from the side, although I bet from the top as you sit on the bike, the difference might be more noticeable. Still, if it's a Cafe look you are going for, something more square would be better in my opinion.
A GS-E tank of some sort is a great place to start; 450, or maybe even 750. The 1100 is probably way too big, but it too could look cool if you re-work the rear seat and such.

I think you've seen the 1969 tank that's going onto mine; Jay reworked and re-welded the frame to get it to fit, but I think he could have gotten it to work by hammering in the bottom of the tank as well, just chose to get crazy with it. It is a good bit longer than the stock tank...

No idea who built this little Savage roadster, but this photyo has been around here for a long time. Looks like a tank that came from Airtech; they have a bunch of cool designs, and they have all the measurements posted on the page to see what they have that might fit for just a few extra bucks....  Grin OK, it's a LOT of extra bucks... but their site might give you some ideas just the same...

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagetanks.htm

IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/08/12 at 07:23:32

Serowbot wrote on 06/07/12 at 22:45:45:
Truly... as much as I like the Ryca,.. the weakest link is the tank...  
I'd have gone for a aluminium cafe' tank, for that price... the modded key bezel just looks add-on to me...

...a la...
http://www.pipeburn.com/storage/photovd016.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=124...

Dream bike... (I have this one framed, on my wall) Huh...

I agree....for $650 I am not a fan of having that plastic filler panel on the tank. I just want something clean with just a gas cap.

I had a similar thread a while ago...trying to see what type of tanks will have the easiest time fitting the Savage frame. Looking for something for a cafe or brat style build.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/08/12 at 07:28:24

Hey Thomas; post a link to that thread; I can't remember if you came up with anything that worked or that you liked....

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/08/12 at 08:51:48

In my own search I think these will fit similar to what you are trying to do. The years are not all inclusive, but it gives an idea...

Suzuki,
80-82 GS650E
75 GT380
77-79 GS750
78 GS400
71 T350
GT550

The Honda tanks dont seem wide enough on the bottom for the split of the frame backbone.  Other makes are either ugly in my opinion or too much work to make fit.

I think what you have done looks good.  I think the Ryca tank mod looks good, but I personally would like to see a more squared off tank on a cafe instead of the cruiser style.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/08/12 at 11:19:16

I think you are right. I like the squared off look, too. Looks like I need to take another trip to the yard sometime later. For now, I'm glad to find something that is narrower that the stock tank and without the speedo hole.

John in the PRC

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/08/12 at 12:27:51

Im not diggin the green domed tank at all..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/08/12 at 16:30:43

That's what is so neat about working on the Savage. To each his own. You get less crap when you try to make something unique than if you were building up a V twin chopper, fer instance. There is no "established" way the bike has to look.   For all the supposed "outlaw biker" impression the Hardly poseurs try to project, the bikes seem to all have the same chrome bits from the local orange and black boutique.

In my opinion, anybody who actually does his own wrenching, cutting, welding, etc should be applauded, even if you don’t like the style. I am not too fond of the green turtle tank either but it’s not MY bike. I like to see all the builds if only to think, that’s not my way of doing it. I do get valuable information from each read.  More ideas, please.

John in the PRC

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/08/12 at 19:06:32

I agree that these things allow loads of leeway & yea, to each his own. I am sure if I walked up on it, Id apreciate the effort, but I dont have to like all the styles.
I imagine there are some who dont dig Skeebo's Skeletonized battery cages, I think they kick butt, I like the look of the fenderless bobbers, I just wouldnt want one, cuz the streets out here kick junk up & hit me in the chin, even with a fender, & water w/o a fender? No thanks,..,but I like the look,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/09/12 at 09:17:55

I'm well aware that my Roadster thing-ie is going to be a very strange beast when it's done. I got that tank a few years ago at a local scrap yard, long before I got my Savage. It really jumped out at me; I loved the shape, and even the color with its aged patina. It also has a pretty thin body, so it's slim sitting on the bike, and that looks and feels really good to me as I sit on the bike.
I'm with you guys; I appreciate all the efforts people make, and love that there are so many guys on here building their own machines out of their Savages. Personally, I've always hated bobbers. They seemed silly and totally uncomfortable, if not downright dangerous sometimes, but hanging out here I've really developed a better appreciation of them in all of their forms. I too love Skeebo's battery box; almost wish I hadn't done mine differently already now, but he's going to be sending me a pulley cover, and I'm excited about that!! (I'l be personalizing it to my own needs of course....   Wink )

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:14:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Different tank fit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.