If it can, it will (Read 138 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
If it can, it will
06/07/12 at 13:13:41

I was riding around the hills yesterday, when suddenly going down a mild decline I began to smell something burning.   At first I thought it was just brake or clutch smell from a previous vehicle, but the smell carried with me for another 5 miles or so.  I finally pulled over at fork in the road, got off the bike and looked.   On the down tube of the frame and the exhaust pipe a few inches from the head I found 2 big wads of grease; I'd say at least several spoonfuls.    It was black axle type grease and at first I thought it must have come from my steering head, but I was puzzled as to what could possibly make the grease squirt out?   I was sure it was new because I had just washed the bike before the ride.

Anyway, I picked up a stick and scraped most of it off, and wiped the rest with a rag I carry in my bags.   I got back on the bike, turned forks lock to lock, applied the front brake and rocked it hard several times to exercise the fork tubes.   I got back off and examined the area and there was nothing!   I felt all up under and around the steering head and it was clean.  Puzzling, to say the least???

Since I couldn't find any source for the grease I decided to retrace my ride back to where I first smelled it, so I could see if anything had fallen off or out (rubber seals, washers, etc.).   Once there, I got off the bike and looked around on the road.   To my surprise, I found a big mound of grease in the road with, of course, my tire track thru the middle, and a nearly empty plastic tub at the side of the road.   It was a tub of grease that you find at AutoZone that had apparently fallen off a vehicle.   Normally I avoid any obstructions or unusual stuff I see, but this road already had many tar patches in it, and at a short distance the grease looked just like one of those.

A very weird thing to happen, but I am relieved that nothing is wrong with the bike.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: If it can, it will
Reply #1 - 06/07/12 at 13:23:45

Good thing you didn't hit that at a decent lean!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/07/12 at 14:32:36

Darn!...  if you'd only been going a little faster, you might have pressure greased your steering bearings....
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #3 - 06/07/12 at 18:54:13

Wow man.  Glad to hear that you're ok!

Check the grooves in your tires and make sure that you're not carrying any more grease around... Don't want that stuff spreading the next time you're in a deep lean.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 06/07/12 at 20:03:31

Serowbot wrote on 06/07/12 at 14:32:36:
Darn!...  if you'd only been going a little faster, you might have pressure greased your steering bearings....
Huh...

Dang right!   I was thinking about driving my truck over there - lol.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/07/12 at 20:39:15

Hey, it all worked out OK. Every Savage rider is given 9 mulligans, eight to go...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 06/07/12 at 22:37:37

when life deals you grease
lube

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/08/12 at 07:06:15

That was my first thought as I read your post; must have splattered up from the road. It's a darn good thing that pile of grease didn't send you straight to the pavement! You're a very lucky man.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 06/08/12 at 07:30:31

Watch it,....more grease mite be coming, stuff like that tends to happen in succession ?......like me having 2 rocks go thru the belt in 2 days. And having 2 Deer run out in front of me in 2 days ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:19:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › If it can, it will

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.