Maybe Too Blonde.... (Read 264 times)
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Maybe Too Blonde....
06/07/12 at 06:20:31

Oh man, I had some good blonde moments this morning.  

Rode my bike to work, and apparently hadnt been paying attention to when I last got gas.  So Im just getting to the main Hwy when it sputters out on me.  Great.  As Im wondering just how far the reserve tank will get me, I get off the bike cause I can't see where the petcock is set while Im on it.  (lack of coordination).  So I move the setting to primer, so I can re-start the bike.  Here's where it gets good.  I usually put it in neutral when I get off my bike, but I must have forgotten.    Im standing next to the bike, one hand on the starter switch and my sunglasses in my other hand.  I hit the starter.  With the bike in gear. and me NOT on it.  The bike jumps forward, which pops up the kick stand, which makes me start swearing and grab for the darn grips so I can catch the bike before it hits the ground.  Which I did manage to do, but just barely.  Now you see why I dont ride the Sportster?    That bike is heavy enough that I'd have had to call my husband to not only bring me the gas can, but to also help me pick the bike up.  Anyway, I now decided to get back on my bike and after making SURE that its in neutral, I hit the starter again.  Bike fires back up, I get my sunglasses back on and visor down, and off I go.  It wasnt until I got about half way to town that I got to wondering just how far will that reserve tank take me.  Probably should have gone back home and gotten some gas out of the can for the lawn mower, but its a bit late for that bright idea.  Needless to say, I was hoping like crazy that I'd make it to town and to the gas station.  I did.  My bike has a 2.5 gal tank, and I put 2.4 gal of gas in her.  Man Im glad tomorrow is friday!
Grin

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Maybe Too Blonde....
Reply #1 - 06/07/12 at 06:24:40

At least it wasn't pouring rain!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 06/07/12 at 06:58:32

Hi Angie, glad you're okay. Just a thought here. You should not have been able to start your bike with the kickstand down when in gear. This tells me that the safety switch at the kickstand is not working correctly. Also the safety swtich at the clutch is suspect also. You should only be able to crank the bike when in gear with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled in. You should have these safety items checked out. To all, if I'm mispeaking on any part of this, please correct me.

Ride safe.
Rogue

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/07/12 at 07:15:00

Yep, all your safeties have been deactivated.

I don't know about you, but I always park it in gear... keeps the bike from rolling away.

WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 06/07/12 at 07:45:59

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 06/07/12 at 06:58:32:
Hi Angie, glad you're okay. Just a thought here. You should not have been able to start your bike with the kickstand down when in gear. This tells me that the safety switch at the kickstand is not working correctly. Also the safety swtich at the clutch is suspect also. You should only be able to crank the bike when in gear with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled in. You should have these safety items checked out. To all, if I'm mispeaking on any part of this, please correct me.

Ride safe.
Rogue

So i read her post and didnt even catch that... your right!  I can't start till the neutral light is green. (never tried with the kickstand down).

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 06/07/12 at 07:54:34

Angie  

Good Catch ( on keeping it off the ground) !

I think we all "Want" for a bigger fuel tank !

Glad your OK !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/07/12 at 08:55:17

Didn't crash,... didn't drop it,...  not very blonde of you at all...

Even knew to set to Prime...

Gosh Angie,... I'm thinking you may not be a real blonde at all... Huh...

Nice job, handling an unlucky day... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #7 - 06/07/12 at 08:56:05

I bought the bike used, so whatever happened to the safety features, I didnt do it.  Smiley

But having owned this bike for 3 years, you'd think I would remember what happens when I start the bike and its in gear.  As for putting it in neutral when I shut it off - I blame the Ol Man for that one.  He was always harping on me to do that so now its habit.  

The only upside to this is that at least I had my blonde moment when there weren't any witnesses.  Grin  Of course now Im telling all of you, but that doesnt count.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/07/12 at 09:21:10

Yep.. the reaction sequence after a drop or other woopsie.

1. Is the bike OK?
2. Did anybody see that?
3. Am I OK?

Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/07/12 at 09:33:01

Turning the fail safe stuff back on is easy, usually.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #10 - 06/07/12 at 10:39:01

youzguyz wrote on 06/07/12 at 09:21:10:

1. Is the bike OK?
2. Did anybody see that?
3. Am I OK?

Grin

youz.........SO FUNNY!!!

on my very first morning when i had my spill, that was my very first thought, in this exact order.  

too funny.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #11 - 06/07/12 at 11:27:12

My very first thoughts and words when that bike jumped forward, well, lets just say I wont be repeating them in front of my kids.   Cool

Oh well, stupid mistake that didnt end up causing any lasting harm.  Lesson learned.  I hope. Wink

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #12 - 06/07/12 at 11:31:35

Oh there's ALWAYS a witness. And today with cell phone cameras and the internet your probably already on twitter or youtube...lol

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 06/07/12 at 15:11:38

At least you know that the previous owner was nice enough to remove the failure prone "safety" widgets that always seem to crap out in the middle of nowhere. With no cell signal and light traffic.

Could have been worse.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/08/12 at 06:29:52

youzguyz wrote on 06/07/12 at 09:21:10:

1. Is the bike OK?
2. Did anybody see that?
3. Am I OK?

Grin

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:25:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Maybe Too Blonde....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.