Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
suzuki savage Engine bogs down high rpm (Read 616 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: suzuki savage Engine bogs down high rpm
Reply #15 - 07/30/12 at 18:12:18

Justin, go up three posts and READ it -- I can't be getting on the boy's case about not talking if you aren't reading when he does talk.

=========

Davidoff74,  the flat chromed steel clutch lever on the right hand clutch case must be within the marks on the gearcase main housing -- if you get it in the middle or thereabouts of that two mark zone then STOP -- you are done with the internal clutch work.  

Your clutch lever must have free play in it, we commonly say "a nickel's thickness in the gap between lever and housing" -- this should be non-tension loose free play.  It guarantees your clutch gets let out all the way.

Your clutch should disengage and reengage within the outer 2/3 to 1/2 of a full grip motion.   This engagement is adjusted with the clutch cable threads and lock nuts (right above the lever we were talking about).

Tell us when all of the above are done.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/30/12 at 20:05:39

I musta missed what kinda oil is in it,, okay,, Im out,, you guys help him,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Davidoff74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/31/12 at 01:45:38

Hi guys.

Checked the position of the clutch rod yesterday. It was positioned far below the operating zone (the marks). I changed the longest rod to the shortest one and the result if much better. Now it operates within the marked zone. Problem now is that i got to much slack on the clutch lever on the "stearing wheel" but its rideable. If i thighten this one (on the stearing) the rod on the clutch cascet moves up and out of position again. Perhaps i need the middle pushrod after all (or a shorter cable?) Smiley

Il do some more adjusting tonight and let u know.

I got full power now at 1-3rd (0-80km/h) gear and ok on 4-5. I thinks it still slips a bit on the higher gears but not a big deal. Perhaps this is normal?

Im using the following oil at the moment:

1 x Silkolene Super 4 10W/40 Syntetforsterket mineralolje 4L(Silkolene Super 4 10W/40 Synthetic enhanced mineraloil 4L)

Thx for the help guys, you are the best!  Grin

Adding a small link to a youtube video of my Savage project for the fun of it if you wanna have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASBTUEoAnSA

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 07/31/12 at 03:44:35

Your clutch cable as a cable has two adjustment points, one on the handle bars and one on the top of the gear case near the chromed lever you have been fiddling with.   If you are "out of adjustment room" on these cable adjustment points then your chrome lever position and pushrods are not right.

You did not need the new clutch plates -- we have never had a worn out clutch yet here on the list.

What you needed to do was (and still is) to properly adjust the clutch cable and the pushrods.

UNHOOK THE CABLE COMPLETELY, then get the chromed lever between the marks on the gear case using the pushrods.   Use a rubber band to put the proper slight "up" force on the chromed lever while doing this pushrod adjustment.

Then hook the cable back up and adjust it for correct amount of clearance slack measured by the "nickel thickness" test.  Your lever must always have some small amount of slack, or it does not allow the clutch to engage all the way.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Davidoff74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/31/12 at 04:50:28

Thx Oldfeller!

Nice tips on adjusting the cable!

Will do so tonight! I think we will have a happy ending on this clutch problem after all Smiley  Grin

IP Logged
Davidoff74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/01/12 at 03:07:59

Hi

Adjusted the clutch after the tips i got an everything is fine now,  still feels like clutch slipping little bit on the higher gears and a bit more when the bike is cold.

Could it be the oil or that i need to clean the clutch plates?

Anyone know a oil type that we know is optimal for the little Savage??

Thx

IP Logged
Davidoff74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/07/12 at 06:32:28

Hi

Anyone know a oil type that we know is optimal for the little Savage??

Thx

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 08/07/12 at 06:45:56

Any synthetic motorcycle oil is best for the S40 motor and gear box.Klotz is my favorite.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #23 - 08/07/12 at 07:08:03

You would likely be well served by either Shell Rotella 15W-40 conventional oil, or Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic. Both are JASO MA rated, which Suzuki recommends for the S40. Both are available on the shelf at Walmart stores, although in my local store only the 15W-40 is available by the quart. Both are available in gallon jugs.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 08/07/12 at 07:13:36

First install may not get it, go cheap, get the rotella white jug. If you have to dump it in 100 miles, you wont cry. & Its plenty good oil,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 08/07/12 at 09:04:11

Get a real Motorcyle oil  and you want have to dump it 100 miles,Notice all the people on here having troubles. use motorcycle oil made for motorcycles and you want have troubles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 08/07/12 at 09:22:21

Bill,, He mite need to flush it once,, even with your needlessly expensive oil.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 08/07/12 at 09:27:42

Charon wrote on 08/07/12 at 07:08:03:
You would likely be well served by either Shell Rotella 15W-40 conventional oil, or Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic. Both are JASO MA rated, which Suzuki recommends for the S40. Both are available on the shelf at Walmart stores, although in my local store only the 15W-40 is available by the quart. Both are available in gallon jugs.

All motorcycle oils are JASO MA rated,Suzuki recommends using High performance motorcycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 08/07/12 at 09:39:46

bill67 wrote on 08/07/12 at 09:27:42:
Charon wrote on 08/07/12 at 07:08:03:

All motorcycle oils are JASO MA rated,Suzuki recommends using High performance motorcycle oil.

Bill, you know better.  

Suzuki recommends using Suzuki Brand oil, which is not high performance anything.   Suzuki Brand is a standard 1,000 ppm ZDDP package dino or synthetic oil WHICH DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH ZDDP for the flat tappet rocker system in the Savage engine.  

Use the Rotella T in the white jug --- Justin has a good point, you may be changing it fairly quickly.   If you like synthetic oil, use the Rotella T-6 in the blue jug.

Justin, you were the head of the Kangaroo Kourt that convicted Bill for giving bad recommendations to newbies that last time --- what was that sentence he was given again?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #29 - 08/07/12 at 09:52:39

Shell makes motorcycle oil you can't buy in the USA,Shell Advanced Motorcycle oil,Look it up they tell you right on there that motorcycle are a lot harder on oil than cars,so that why you should use motorcycle oil only.OF you should know better.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:26:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › suzuki savage Engine bogs down high rpm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.