Send Topic Print
Abusing the clutch? (Read 61 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Abusing the clutch?
06/06/12 at 13:43:11

So, I was practicing figure-8's in my cul-de-sac a few nights...lots of clutch friction zone/throttle/rear brake balancing.  My clutch previously engaged early...after doing 8's for a while, I noticed the clutch was grabbing some even with the clutch lever pulled all the way.

So, I adjusted it a bit, seemed fine.  After another 20 minutes or so of practicing low-speed manuevers another night, the clutch started grabbing when fully disengaged again.  I'm figuring the heat caused the plates to expand and grab.  Decided I'd adjust the clutch out some more.  

I forgot to do this the next time I rode, but then noticed that the clutch engaged much later instead of early.  (By engaging early, I mean the clutch started to grab by releasing the clutch lever only slightly.  By engaging late, I mean that I let the clutch lever go most of the way before it starts to grab).

So, I'm wondering what happened.  Did I burn off some clutch?  Did the cable slip?  Huh  It doesn't seem to be slipping when the clutch lever is fully released, and it seems to still engage smoothly.  

Am I abusing the clutch a little too much?  (Revs around 2000, friction zone, a little rear brake.)

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Abusing the clutch?
Reply #1 - 06/06/12 at 14:20:38

If youre slipping the clutch enough to make it do that, Id say Yep.
Shorter practice sessions & open the loops up so you dont have to do that, work on tightening them later. Learn to use the engine at closer to idle speeds once its rolling.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Abusing the clutch?
Reply #2 - 06/06/12 at 17:06:48

Clutch abuse!  Why people have gone to jail...

Anytime you're doing low speed maneuvering, be ready to put your feet down fast.   The bike comes to an immediate halt and you're already leaning in a turn.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:30:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Abusing the clutch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.