Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about s40 Forks (Read 166 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Question about s40 Forks
06/06/12 at 07:52:47

Hey,

I am a new to the boulevard s40 and I have a damaged one in my possession. I would like to repair it. The front forks are bent and I was wondering if you guys can tell if I just need the tubes or an entire assembly from the pictures here:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Question about s40 Forks
Reply #1 - 06/06/12 at 08:37:47

WOW! That thing took a pretty hard smack.
I can tell from the pictures you're going to need new fork tubes for sure, but without really taking a good look, it's hard to say if you'll need to replace the lowers. They could be just fine, but you should look for cracks and scratches and any outward signs of damage.
I'd be more concerned about checking for damage to the headstock of the frame. If the frame is bent you've got a lot of work ahead of you. If the frame is good, and it really is just the fork tubes, it should be a pretty easy fix.
Hope it works out!!

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 06/06/12 at 08:45:58

Thanks for the reply that gives me hope. From inspection it looks like the bottom portion is not bent and damaged in any way. It looks like just the portion shown above is damaged.

Hopefully I can find someone that would sell me a full fork assembly just for my peace of mind.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/06/12 at 08:48:43

If you go on Ebay, you're probably more likely to find full forks than just the tubes; and if you'll probably find a full set of used forks cheaper than buying the tubes new. How's the front wheel? and what happened to this thing? Looks like the rider probably got hurt, if not at least pretty beat up. I hope the previous owner is OK...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/06/12 at 08:56:16

Quick Ebay search for "Suzuki Savage Forks" turned up 4-5 sets of forks; $100-$200 or so roughly. They should be compatible with all years, so you'll find more if you search for "LS650" and "S40"

These looked pretty decent to me for $120 shipped...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-Suzuki-Savage-LS-650-straight-Forks-G9-/1508306433...

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 06/06/12 at 09:08:41

Hey Thanks I might try this out. I am in Canada and the forks will cost a bundle to ship but it seems like a viable option.

I am the owner on it when it was damaged. I was fortunately not hurt. It was a silly mistake on my part where I did not see a stop sign and I clipped a transit bus going around 24mph(40kph).

The front wheel well... im not entirely sure I need to get it tested to see if there is any wobble. The front rim has a slight 1 inch dent.. very minor hopefully nothing to worry about.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/06/12 at 09:48:38

I'm very glad you weren't hurt!
At that speed, I'm surprised the forks are that badly bent, but I would guess that they took the force of the impact, and your frame is probably not damaged. However; if it were me, I'd take it to a professional just to have it checked out.
Your front rim needs to be perfectly straight, or it will get you into trouble. I don't know if that's something that's repairable or not. I did have an aluminum front rim that was cracked, and had my friend weld it back and re-shape it pretty easily, so it may be repairable.
Good luck getting back on the road! And keep your eyes open next time!  :'(

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 06/06/12 at 12:48:44

I have a pair of tubes from an '07 that I took off to do a rake kit that are near perfect. Where in Canada are you?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 06/06/12 at 13:32:06

I am in Toronto =) I am willing to pay a fair price.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/06/12 at 13:38:13

arteacher wrote on 06/06/12 at 12:48:44:
I have a pair of tubes from an '07 that I took off to do a rake kit that are near perfect. Where in Canada are you?

I was hoping you would find this thread. That ought to save a ton on shipping costs. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/07/12 at 09:57:03

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 06/06/12 at 13:38:13:
arteacher wrote on 06/06/12 at 12:48:44:

I was hoping you would find this thread. That ought to save a ton on shipping costs. Cool

I love it when two Savages find eachother in the wilderness!!
Wink

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #11 - 06/07/12 at 13:12:57

Coaxial wrote on 06/06/12 at 08:45:58:
Thanks for the reply that gives me hope. From inspection it looks like the bottom portion is not bent and damaged in any way. It looks like just the portion shown above is damaged.

Hopefully I can find someone that would sell me a full fork assembly just for my peace of mind.

My Savage "met" the rear end of a Ford Aerostar van and had similar damage.  I found a pair of new fork assemblies fairly inexpensively at a motorcycle salvage yard.  Eventually had to replace the seals but that's just maintenance.  Something else to look at in your repair:  I'm pretty sure my steering bearings got clobbered in the minor crash and I did repair and replace, so you might want to look at yours.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 06/07/12 at 14:28:42

I've been calling salvage yards around the area with no luck. Im hoping nothing else is damaged

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/08/12 at 00:01:57

Feel around where the bearings ride in the head bearing races.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:23:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about s40 Forks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.