Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I'm all ears......rain advice. (Read 204 times)
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
I'm all ears......rain advice.
06/06/12 at 07:04:42

so last night i got initiated......got caught in an average rain. then it stopped and the road was just really wet.

i must admit.......made me nervous, and surprisingly, found I had to MAKE myself push on the bars to get into the turns, even at a reduced speed.

just drinking from the well of wisdom here again. other than the common sense stuff, go slower, drive ahead, control the braking....any tips or nuggets for a newb?

thanks.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: I'm all ears......rain advice.
Reply #1 - 06/06/12 at 07:12:23

My advice may not be the best, but, when it rains here, the gullies where the car tires wear down the road collect a lot of water. I ride the center "hump" when it rains.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #2 - 06/06/12 at 07:18:36

thanks Greg,

i was a little conflicted because it does the same here at times, but in the back of my mind i was thinking "that is where the oil will release first".

i would rather be more cautious than crazy, but i was too nervous to suit me on that ride.

i appreciate the input.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/06/12 at 09:20:43

Yup,.. here in Tucson, where it don't rain often, .. the oils and anti-freeze soaked in the pavement is just waiting to be released...  I avoid the center between tire tracks like the plague... ... but most roads are crowned in the middle and slope to each side for drainage...
Ride near the crown... (as far left as possible) Wink...

Watch the painted stripes,.. they are slick as snot...

Double, or triple flash your brake lights, instead of just pulling them, to get drivers attention...

Open your visor about a inch to prevent fogging,... peek through that opening if your shield gets covered...

... or,.. stop and have a hot cocoa...  Grin...

Ohhh!... and watch when you put a foot down at a stop... slick on your boots too... (ask me how I know)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #4 - 06/06/12 at 09:24:50

Serow,

the hot cocoa was sounding like a really viable option at the time. when i got home i was ready for a toddy, hot or cold.

forunately for my first time i was not that far from home.  it was a good test for me, but left me with more questions than answers.

i was solid staying away from paint. guess i just have to learn to trust her at an angle. baby steps.

thanks for the input.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/06/12 at 11:01:00

In addition to all said...  I also avoid manhole covers.   Wink

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 06/06/12 at 12:50:56

I hate the mess that riding in the rain leaves on the bike!  Which reminds me, I still need to clean mine, since I got caught in a little shower the other day.  

Its not quite time of the year yet... but in addition to all the other stuff above, watch for wet leaves when the trees start to turn.  Talk about slick as snot!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 06/06/12 at 14:24:18

Sunchasers wrote on 06/06/12 at 11:01:00:
In addition to all said...  I also avoid manhole covers.   Wink

And manholes without covers...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 06/06/12 at 20:09:44

Back in the dark ages when tires were not nearly as well designed and brakes were all drum and of questionable stopping power in dry conditions I rode sometimes 100 miles in the rain. Everything stated above is good advice. I'll also add to be very sure your tires are in good condition.plenty of tread,designed for rain useage and properly inflated. Remember always your tires are you connection with terra firma. If the tires are not up to the conditions...........your body WILL be kissing mother earth!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 06/07/12 at 06:30:24

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 06/07/12 at 07:18:03

I've been riding in the rain since... 1978 ? But I'm still here to tell you about it, so it can't be all that bad... Wink

My tips and observations :

1) You can see through a rainy helmet visor much better than through a windshield with no wipers, so it ain't all that bad;

2) Like Serowbot said, lift the visor that inch (or half inch) you need to get a little circulation of air to prevent misting;

3) Watch out for stupid drivers who drive in misted up cars (many will keep the ventilaiton vents shut and just wipe the screen with their hand  Tongue)

4) Lights on all the time, when there's too much mist raised by trucks etc, flick the left indicator (cars will take it as the left indicator of a car and avoid pushing into your right side)

5) If it rains a lot where you live, get used to it ! BUT, on the bright side, with A/T or rain tires rather than the typical semi-slick cruiser tires, you will still have excellent traction  Cool

An example by Pirelli
- - - - - - - - - - A/T MC tire - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - MT66 (my ride) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pirelli Supersports Semi-slicks

6) In a neighborhood, don't be shy and waste that horn ! Honk at anything, regardless, just to let then know you're there (many pedestrians will look down when walking in the rain)

7) If you have a good quality jacket, fine; now buy a pair of rain chaps and Totes, roll and tuck them in your tool roll (you DO have a tool roll, I presume?)

8) GLOVES ! When the weather looks like it'll rain, use waterproof riding gloves, or gloves with a woolen lining, to keep your fingers warm and dry.

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #11 - 06/07/12 at 07:25:04

I love the rain.  Aside from growing up in the desert, which never gets enough, it is the only time that my bike gets washed off.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 06/07/12 at 09:42:59

Oh yeah, for fogging...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #13 - 06/07/12 at 10:35:56

all awesome info!!!  

thanks to everyone.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 06/08/12 at 03:32:34

Savage_Rob wrote on 06/07/12 at 09:42:59:

I've heard that's good stuff, but haven't seen any around here. I used one of those Fog City things that sticks on the inside of your shield, and it work great for the first winter, and ok for the second one; after that things started fogging up some, but way better than nothing at all.

In addition to manhole covers and paint stripes and road ruts I'd like to add railroad tracks and those little plastic turtles they put between lanes. There's a route to work that I will not(!) ride in the rain because you cross the same track twice going into and out of sharp corners, and it's real hard to hit them completely straight. Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:14:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › I'm all ears......rain advice.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.