Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I'm all ears......rain advice. (Read 204 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: I'm all ears......rain advice.
Reply #15 - 06/08/12 at 13:46:53

Just order it from that link.  Most of the time I wear my Scorpion helmet, which has fog-resistant shields that actually work pretty well.  I also have an HJC and have used Cat Crap it to prevent fogging, with pretty good results.  It's odd looking though.  A red container with yellow writing and the stuff inside is kind of a pale blue/green color.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #16 - 06/08/12 at 16:36:29

I just got home in the rain. My real world advice is to always carry a handkerchief/doo-rag. If you are wearing an open face or half helmet, the rain really hurts at speed. I pulled over and covered from my nose down. Worked great!. I wear eyeglasses so I don't think the biker masks will work well for me. I think the bill/visor thing on my half helmet helped to keep some water off of my face as well. And like it was said earlier, it isn't as bad as riding in a car without wipers. My glasses got wet but never to the point that it was much of a hindrance.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #17 - 06/08/12 at 19:05:26

I concur with Greg... During the ride this last weekend, we got caught in some sprinkles mid ride when I only had the half helmet out. They provided a free bandana as part of the registration, so we stopped and put that over the bottom half of the face and it really did help.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #18 - 06/08/12 at 20:41:27

1) Stop for about 10 minutes when the rain first hits (if you can)- this allows for some of the oil to wash away.                                          
2)Ride basically in the path left by the left haand tires of the cars, the center does get most of the oil and fuel leaking.
3) Rather than pushing the bars (that usually means you are ..well..shall we say nervous..loosen of the grip..like you should do when crossing over a grated bridge.  
4) Most obviously, slow down a bit, increase distance to the vehicle in front; don't stop at the Stopsign but a bit before, Idling cars will have left oil etc right at the sign.
5)  Carefull of painted street markers (like cross walks and as noted earlier, metal surface like man hole covers.
6)and if you wear glasses like I do, invent some miniwindshield washers please. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/08/12 at 21:40:55

Maybe youd be ahead to wait for a nice warm day & head out after the rain starts. Get some experience around home base, on roads you know. Stay out of heavy traffic. because if you think they arent looking for you in broad daylight on a sunny day, they REALLY dont expect a bike in the rain,.& They arent lookin for you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:16:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › I'm all ears......rain advice.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.