Need a diagnosis (Read 120 times)
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Need a diagnosis
06/05/12 at 20:45:49

Having some bike troubles.
Basically everything was good till all of a sudden it didnt start yesterday. Thought it was just the battery so i run started it and it was good for the rest of the day. Turning on and off and everything.
Today, In the took a little extra and would not start with choke on which made it hard for me to keep it going. Then when at a stop light today it began dying on me as if it just didnt have enough power to go. It died on idle. And had to turn it on and constantly rev it in order for it work.
My battery shows a charge of 12.67 and i charged it last night but it still has trouble.

Last time i tried to turn it on in my garage to see if i could mess with the idle screw a little the starter would click and a spark or two came from the battery.

Could my spark plug have gone bad? Could my starter be bad? Or is my battery dead? or what do you guys think?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Need a diagnosis
Reply #1 - 06/05/12 at 20:56:50

yes it could be the battery, even new ones are sometimes bad.

You should have more than 13 v after charging and if it drops below 10 v on starting, it won't spark.

clicking instead of starting confirms it, your battery is weak.

WWW   IP Logged
BelizeanBanman

Just ridin' my
Savage.

Reply #2 - 06/05/12 at 21:27:20

I want to respectfully contradict verslagen due to a personal experience. I got a ticking noise coming from the starter relay, and because of recommendations from people here I charged the battery. Didn't help at all. I opened the starter and found it flooded with oil and the brushes nearly gone. I suggest opening the starter - it's not difficult and doesn't take much time.

Roger

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/05/12 at 21:56:20

Not really a contradiction... just an alternate possibility, a rare one.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/06/12 at 06:22:58

If you're getting a spark at the battery, check your cable connections first. A spark anywhere near the battery can be a VERY bad thing, causing the battery to explode.

Before pulling the starter, use a multi meter to be sure you are getting full voltage to the starter terminal first. If not, correct that problem first. Cool

I once had a customer pull in a no start Ford pickup. When I went out to try it, the battery exploded due to a loose battery terminal that sparked. Sounded like 1/2 a stick of dynamite going off. Sad Angry

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 06/06/12 at 07:19:06

martinfilms34 wrote on 06/05/12 at 20:45:49:
Last time i tried to turn it on in my garage to see if i could mess with the idle screw a little the starter would click and a spark or two came from the battery.

What exactly do you mean "a spark from the battery"?   If it is at one of the terminals, then it is a bad connection.   The battery supplies a lot of current at start time and high resistance (bad) connections won't work well.   Make sure your terminal connections to the battery's lead posts are clean and tight.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #6 - 06/06/12 at 14:38:46

I think I may have confirmed it is the battery. Right now I turned the key and had no power anywhere on the bike.
I've disconnected the battery and I'm going to clean off the terminals give the battery a charge and see how it goes from there.

IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 06/06/12 at 14:41:41

Another possibility is the charging circuit.  If it's not putting out enough to keep the battery charged, it will slowly drain as you're driving it.

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #8 - 06/06/12 at 17:27:05

Checked the connection cleaned it up and reconnected, starts up and runs now. But when i pull the choke out it doesnt start with the choke. And then  when its running and i pull  the choke it sounds like its about to die. Any ideas?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/06/12 at 18:21:40

I t hurts when I move my shoulder "Just so", & I went to my doctor & showed him.

He said
Dont do that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #10 - 06/06/12 at 18:26:34

Okay, well it didn't do that a week ago. So something must have changed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/07/12 at 09:24:20

Almost sounds like a jet Was partially plugged & cleared itself,  But let a local guru pitch in..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:28:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need a diagnosis

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.