35 ponies. (Read 335 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
35 ponies.
06/05/12 at 12:25:45

Stole this off another site i lurk on once in awhile.
Authors name is CaptCrash.
Don't let the name fool you. He's been around bikes awhile and dude knows his stuff.

"In Praise of 35 Horses

Yup. This is about the joy and excitement of 35 ponies. If you're asking yourself, "Really? Does he intend to try and convince me that 35hp is a good thing?" you'd be wrong. I figure that my audience for this is broken into 3 groups.

1. Folks who automatically say, "You can never have enough horsepower and you're always better off with more."

2. Folks who say, "Really? Won't you get bored and need to trade up? Low power is for beginners right?"

3. Folks who say, "Hell yes. Nothings better than going fast on something slow!"

If you belong to one of the first two groups--give me a chance and think this through with me and I believe you may find that low power bikes aren't just for beginners or things we outgrow. Low power bikes are where we can build a basic skill set and exploit our inner intellectual rider. Low power bikes help hone our craft and craft is the first step to becoming "crafty".

Low power bikes are interesting because if you want to ride with real speed you have to create the speed yourself. With 30 or even forty ponies you can't come out of that corner, stand the bike up and unleash hellfire; you need to pack speed with you. Big horses allow you to spank it on the straights and then park it up in the corners. Too often riders with excessive power race from corner to corner only to gently bend the bike around the next turn and then turn the dial to eleven before wildly backing off and carefully making the next turn.

In order to ride quickly on a low power bike you need to "carry more speed". This means you want to enter a turn with good speed but you also need to exit with as much as you possibly can. The concept of carrying speed is vital to low output bikes because you can't just twist and go. You don't have 150 ponies--you have 1/5th that available and you not only need to make the most of that meager number you need what the military would call a "Force Multiplier". According to the DOD a force multiplier is defined as: "A capability that, when added to and employed by a combat force, significantly increases the combat potential of that force and thus enhances the probability of successful mission accomplishment."

The force multiplier that small bikes employ is (drum roll): Smoothness.

Generally we talk about big horsepower getting you into big trouble quickly and that's true, it will. But, an important conversation to have is that big power will camouflage poor riding and give you a false sense of grandeur. Because you can tap the ton on that straight you think you're fast when in fact you're only fast on the straights--in corners? You're a roadblock. That abundance of throttle and lack of corner speed is one of the reasons huge power should be avoided by newbies; it's the basis of that hard saying "In slow, out fast. In fast--out dead". Trying to make time in the straights is often why we crash in corners. Being able to run up into triple digits can lead to leaving the paved roadway and striking fixed objects--comprehende?

With 30 ponies you have to manage your throttle and brakes and ride with real awareness of speed because once you lose speed it's very difficult to get it back. Since you're trying to have as much speed as possible at the exit you pay real attention to entry and line. A sloppy rider is hard on the gas and hard on the brakes trying to make time in the straights figuring horsepower will fix things. A smooth rider will be more in control and not as ragged and out of shape as they coax more out of the bike. Where do you think sayings like "smooth is fast and fast is smooth" come from? They are bits of wisdom garnered in the real world.

Are 35 ponies too few? Not for me. Riding is fun. BIG fun. I won't turn you down if you offer me a chance to ride that SS1000R, I'd be happy to twist that things tail. But I won't turn down a ride on a 250 twin either. Why? Because if it's got two wheels I'm gonna have a good time with it AND because I learned to ride on underpowered bikes I know that it's not the size of the wand it's the magic in the wizard that makes things happen.

Don't be afraid to learn to ride. Don't be worried the bike is 'too small'. It ain't. Only thing that might be too small is your mind. Open it.

Be Safe. "

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 35 ponies.
Reply #1 - 06/05/12 at 13:17:36

+1... 35hp is enough for any solo rider at legal speeds... (even some illegal speeds)...
...just say, sane public road speeds...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 06/05/12 at 19:55:33

+2

Very good read Wolf! I started riding back when a Triumph 650 Bonnie was a darn big scooter. My first scoot was a 1972 Harley SS350 Sprint. I rode that thing everywhere and until we hit the interstate I ran right with the big dogs! Even made some pretty long runs packing double!

Even today I'd rather ride a 650 class scooter over one of the monster V-twins. Of course I'm more of a two-lane rider. Running 75mph + on the interstate you flat out miss the scenery!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 06/05/12 at 20:29:12

Another lil gem by Captcrash. This one i keep in mind on every ride.

"Visual Shadows

What is a "Visual Shadow"? Simple: every car, truck or semi casts a visual shadow; it blocks your vision! That's right, there are vehicles out there you can't see through--sure we can peek through that mini-van but most larger vehicles are difficult to see through and even if we can it's a murky view at best.

I'm thinking about this because it's an idea I've kicked around for a couple of years; the idea that while we think we're aware of all the vehicles around us we often don't think about what's behind those vehicles. Here's the situation where this first jumped out at me. I was on a five lane road (2 lanes each way, center turn lane) and there was a car sitting in the center lane waiting to turn left across my path. As I was looking at the car something about it caught my attention--something was different--but I couldn't figure it out. Applying all my attention to the car I realized that there was another car behind it, in a mirrored position from where I was. I was in the inside lane moving 35mph and the extra car was in the opposite lane traveling 35 mph which meant that as a relationship it stayed perfectly behind the car in the center lane, completely blocked from my vision.

It was a weird moment. I then started thinking about the visual shadows that vehicles cast. I realized on of the real dangers of tailgating (especially large vehicles) is that the closer you are the more your field of vision is blocked! On a multilane road a car moving your same direction can block your view of intersections as well as well as screen you from the vision of other users.

So. What do you do? First and foremost think about it! No, don't spend all your energy doing geometry in your head at the expense of your active scanning but do take into account the idea that if you're thinking "what's behind that car" that you should also be thinking "if I can't see it--it can't see me". And what is that Hurt Report based saying again? "See and Be Seen". If you can't see, you can't be seen. Likewise be aware that a moving car is a moving screen and could be hiding another moving object.

All in all, it's not the greatest danger we face but being aware that visual shadows and moving visual shadows are out there will help with your Scan and Predict which means you're better ready to Act.

Be Safe."

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #4 - 06/05/12 at 20:38:07

And one more...lol

"Rain Test--DO ONE.

Went out today in the pouring rain and 54 degree temperatures and did a 30 mile rain test. Yup. On purpose. Looked at the rain. Looked at the bike. Looked at the rain suit and asked, "Crash, does that thing work? AND how are your skills in the rain. Perhaps now, instead of an emergency test, you should hit the road and see what's up." Accepting my own wisdom I climbed into my rain gear and went for a ride--not a ride under duress--but a ride to see how rain feels when you plan on it.

It ain't that bad. Kinda fun actually--Honestly? Enough fun that now I wish it had been 74 degrees instead of 54 and I'd have stayed out a lot longer. I wasn't cold, it just was one of those, "I'm good but this isn't the shizz" kinda things.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Dedicated rain gear designed for motorcycle riding is the way to go. Granted, a plastic garbage bag with a head hole and arm holes is better than nothing--designed gear is optimal.

2. Get into it before you're wet. I did. I have been in rain gear after I'm wet and it's not the best feeling ever. You'll get steamed alive. Better to be in early than late.

3. VISIBILITY. Compromised. Compromised enough that it's a bigger issue to me than compromised traction. See, when you're out in the rain you tend to use engine braking a lot--that means that your brake light ISN'T LIGHTING UP. So, you're in a situation where you're hard to spot AND you're not communicating as well with other users as you usually do. BE SURE TO TAP YOUR BRAKES WHEN YOU'RE DECELERATING--either using the brakes or the engine.

4 TRACTION. Is compromised--but probably not as badly as you think it is. Rain is not snow, and rain at 54 degrees, or even 35, doesn't instantly convert to a solid state. A couple of heads up: This time of year is harvest--if you're near farms beware of dirt and mud on the road from trucks and tractors enter the roadway. Also, things like paint stripes, manholes, steel plates and grids, even polished cement, can be dramatically more slippery. Be aware. As always when the road takes a bath the crap will lift up off the road surface and eventually wash away--be careful those first few moments of a rain storm.

5. FOLLOWING DISTANCE/SPACE CUSHION. Increase them. It's not hard to do when you're out there voluntarily--if you're in a hurry and trying to get home you may be following too closely. Watch it. Being too close to other vehicles puts you in the spray of the cars around you which inhibits your vision AND makes you harder to see.

6. If you can't take it? Pull over. You can hang out at the Mickey D's a long time if you're willing to buy some chow. You might want to wait things out.

All in all I would suggest you can ride successfully in the rain. I would suggest that Sunday morning around 10am is GREAT time to head out into the rain and get some "alone" time on the road. Heck, check the church parking lots and you'll be able to see which pastor is throwing strikes by how many cars are there.

Rain is not a guaranteed crash. Rain is survivable. I would earnestly offer that you should plan for some saddle time/practice in the rain. It's worth it.

Be Safe."

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #5 - 06/05/12 at 20:50:37

Last one, i promise. Its another i keep in mind when riding.
Keeps me froggy, head on a swivel and always planning an escape route. Especially at intersections and lights.

"Fear...a friendly foe.

I've commented on Fear before talked about it's paralytic nature, it's mind consuming power, it's ability to drive poor decision making. Today I want to mention the importance of fear as an alarm--not but as a harbinger, a warning bell, a bit of the 'ol Spidey sense.

This came to me as I was shooting a series of U-turns at a local intersection. I had positioned the camera on a safe corner, walked Mrs Crash through the shots we needed, made sure she knew to let me leave the frame for a neutral shot for editing purposes; all the bases were covered so I put on my helmet started the bike and rolled out to start whipping out some snappy turns in a 5x5 intersection. It's huge until you're rolling up a left hand turn lane to crank out a u-turn.

I felt my neck and shoulders tense up. I started to get ye olde death grip on the handlebars. Fear was in the building and fear announces itself rather plainly. The heartbeat increases, rate of breath picks up, muscles tense; it's all part of the body getting ready to Fight or Flee. This is all natural human reaction to fear. Unfortunately those reactions might have been wonderful for springing into action when the cave bear found you home hunting in his house they are the kind of thing that can get a rider in real trouble.

This is the point where riders can get themselves in real trouble by letting the fear get ahead of you. YES, there are a lot of cars. YES, there is sand and grit in the intersection from those late March snow storms. YES, that's a rubber cv boot laying in the lane in front of my left foot.

But knowing those things should not make things worse--it should make things better; because knowing where the problems are allows you to deal with them. When your shoulders start hunching up? WHY is it happening? Because you're in a threat filled environment! This is the moment to take your time, think things through and have a plan.

If there's crap in the intersection? Look for a clear path. If there isn't one? Slow down, be careful with your throttle don't be hard on the gas and keep your head up looking well ahead. What's important to remember is that fear can be a paralyzer leading to bad decisions and poor riding OR it can be a "heads up" to remind you to use your basics.

Fear, I believe, isn't always an enemy it can be survival calling in and saying "You could die here so be careful. The real trick is to recognize fear early and put it to work for you. If I am getting tense? I'll ask myself "why are you nervous?" What's that little man in my subconscious worried about? At that big 5 laner? I was about to do 3 u-turns each way the problem was I had no plan on how to make a second u-turn and return back for the 2nd and 3rd times. I found myself asking this question as I rolled down the lane to the stoplight: "What is freaking me out here?" It only took a second to answer "this is a big mean intersection...that's true...but there's more...WAIT... How the hell am I gonna get turned around to be right back here again for another take?"

A quick look around presented a left turn and an off street parking lot I could use to whip out a u-turn and turn to the intersection. Bingo. Fear of the unknown was gone because I had a plan.

When you're riding tight? Figure out why. If you need to? Pull over and shake it out, think about it a moment and remember:

Fear isn't supposed to kill you--it's supposed to keep you alive."

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/06/12 at 10:15:16

I am all in favor of enjoying the small HP bikes.  When young I raced a 125 and although I was very competive and did well - there was often someone that could ride just a bit faster on a similar bike.  It did help me to become a very smooth rider - and competition helped me become a rider that new how to use a front brake well.

The Savage is the largest motorcycle I have ever owned, and I love this concept of having "torque on tap" Grin.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 06/09/12 at 20:20:16

Wolfman, I didn't read all the posts, but a comment on the first one: Harley D built a thriving business and a way of life for some on a heavy bike with around 50 hp. I like whatever I ride at the time and usually have it because of money or physical ability/limitations. Horsepower is expensive and mostly not needed. This coming from a 59 yr old with a bad back who would love to test a Z10 Kaw on a straight road.  Grin For me it's about the ride, and I think Harley knows that. But for me, for now, the Savage and its 30 hp is a dream come true.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 06/12/12 at 13:02:48

Nice read. I'm kinda partial to the "gutless wonders" myself. I grew up on British parallel twins and older than me Harleys. Neither known for neck snapping acceleration or good handling.

My Savage was a fun little rider grade bike. Hopefully it will be again soon (down for a bunch of stuff). Didn't hold a candle to my built 1999 800A Kawi twin (could run 120mph all day long comfortably) that I still regret selling. Infinitely better than my stone stock 800B Kawi twin that I couldn't scrap out fast enough (an 05 with maybe 10K on the clock). Yep, scrapped (as in sold to the bike breakers) a low mileage 2005 runner and kept my starts IF it wants to can't get out of its own way wide open down hill with a tailwind 1998 project Savage. That I've had since it was new and have resurrected after my stepson totalled it twice. That 12 years ago I stripped down and hit 115 mph on at a 2 mile test track.

I can't wait to run back to back on my 650 and my 1963 250 Honda. The 650 is all I need for longer trips, the 250 is perfect for the twisty 2 lane country roads around the farm. And at close to 100 mpg, guess the 250 will probably end up my commuter too.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/02/15 at 05:55:13

I wanted to bring this thread back up to the top of the page...it has been buried for 3 years but still is relevant to why we like our Savage.

Anyone that has ever followed MMRanch through the Dragon can appreciate how well he hustles his bike along without the use of brakes or excess throttle.....just really smooth lines and he carries his speed through the corners.

In the past 3 years I did buy a bigger bike so I can keep my wife comfortable when we ride double.....but the Savage is still my most favorite bike to ride.  (I also bought a 250 Ninja and it is a blast to ride as well).

Dave

IP Logged
squiggy
YaBB Newbies

Furiously Savage

Michiana
Reply #10 - 07/02/15 at 06:25:39

I love my Fury, but I will have to admit that the Savage is much more fun to ride.  It is my wife's first bike and I find myself continuing to find excuses to take it out just for the hell of it.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 07/02/15 at 07:46:26

Thanks Dave!

I read those articles before, good advice all around, and yes... part of the reason we ride what we ride.
Its a lot more enjoyable to me to use all of those ponies, rather than not be able to "legally" use them and have 100 of them left to stand on the side and watch.
For those of you who want to experience the bigger CC bikes, rent one, get the insurance that goes with it, but rent one, they are a lot of fun if you play safe (well, twist it a time or two just to get your heart rate up).

I really have never seen the need to rent a big bike for the Dragon or twisties (I have ridden my ol' Road Glide 1348cc in the twisties, it was like a Cadillac on a race track), but would one day like to rent a 600 or higher sports bike just to see what I could do, even though I wouldn't be able to do it faster than my 300, twisting the throttle between turns would be fun.

I started out on small cc bikes in dirt, but growing up I have never seen the "need for speed" all the time. I like dirt track racing when I was a pre-teen, it was a blast, but now... well, I break easy so I would want to do it on a flat track with the right gear. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/02/15 at 12:40:30

Thanks Dave! what BTW does Capt crash ride? Ninja 250? that's my guess from 35 HP

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/02/15 at 12:45:23

Art Webb wrote on 07/02/15 at 12:40:30:
Thanks Dave! what BTW does Capt crash ride? Ninja 250? that's my guess from 35 HP

I dunno' Capt. Crash....you would have to ask Wolfman as he started this discussion.

Dave

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 07/02/15 at 14:49:33

I always thought capt crash was an writer for one of the popular motorcycle magazines.
But try google'n him and there are tons of capt crash video's, blogs and lots of forums have one.

This person supposedly met him....

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showthread.php?35796-I-met-the-Honorable-Captai...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 11:25:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › 35 ponies.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.