Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what helmet for best wind noise reduction? (Read 130 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
what helmet for best wind noise reduction?
06/05/12 at 08:18:39

so who has a good helmet to control eliminate wind noise? - i am currently wearing a Vega Summit II modular that has moderate wind noise < 40 50 mph and pretty bad wind noise over 50mph. ear plugs are not an option - inner ear problems effect balance and earplugs make the the problem worse.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: what helmet for best wind noise reduction?
Reply #1 - 06/05/12 at 09:40:36

Noise doesnt bother me... sure wish they had a helmet that wasn't like a sail and catch all the wind.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/05/12 at 09:44:27

I've never found a quiet one...
In winter, wearing a thick scarf helps... most of the noise, is air hitting your chest and blowing up...
They make weird sorta' helmet condoms  Huh, that attach to the underside of the helmet... they work, but they fall apart... and won't work with modulars...

So,.. I'm no help at all... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #3 - 06/05/12 at 10:03:11

yep i was pretty sure no "skirt" for the modular exisited - i am "rigging it" next ride with foam carmmed in the cheeks/ear eareas - the extra foam inside the chin area did not help much.

</div
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/05/12 at 10:31:23

I have 2 full face helmets.

One is an old Simpson helmet that is out of certification date and a drag racing friend gave me.  It seems to be pretty good about noise and keeps things off your face - it does not have any vents built in and fits very close to your face and chin.

I also bought a helmet for my dual sport bike.  The helmet has a lot more clearance at the chin and it has vents - which is a blessing and a curse.  The extra clearance allow more movement - but it also allows bugs to bounce off your chest and up into the area between the shield and your face.  The extra clearance also catches the noise from the engine and amplifies it and makes the engine noise seem louder.  The visor also puts a lot of twisting force on your neck if you turn your head to look at something while you are at cruising speed.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11/51/661/35916/ITEM/AFX-FX-39-DS-Helmet...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #5 - 06/05/12 at 10:54:32

Chip you'll never find a helmet to fit that head LOL. Just kiddin buddy. Get your cars out, I miss ya.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 06/05/12 at 11:23:07

U R funny Mike - 1200 miles in 8 weeks on the bike - no time for toy cars!

Midnightrider wrote on 06/05/12 at 10:54:32:
Chip you'll never find a helmet to fit that head LOL. Just kiddin buddy. Get your cars out, I miss ya.

</div
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #7 - 06/05/12 at 11:36:20

My old full face Bell was nice, soft and very quiet.

My new HJC full face is ok, for the price.

My new expensivey Nolan N43 is quite noisy, but light and well vented.

I've heard good things about Arai helms.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 06/05/12 at 12:17:51

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/draxtar/
I bought one of these and it is VERY quiet..... probably because it was originally designed for tank guys.
It is a lot quieter than my Shoei RF 1100.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 06/05/12 at 12:18:39

Shoei.  No doubt about it.  Also, I have been riding in my Fox MX helmet it it's pretty quiet.  Spend the cash on a good helmet, and you will notice the difference.

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #10 - 06/05/12 at 17:33:32

Ear plugs.  Above 50, all helmets produce more wind noise than is healthy for your hearing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/05/12 at 21:34:00

gerald.hughes wrote on 06/05/12 at 17:33:32:
Ear plugs.  Above 50, all helmets produce more wind noise than is healthy for your hearing.

Yea, I got here late, I was gonna say
The one that comes with ear plugs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 06/06/12 at 07:22:05

I've never road with ear plugs,How do you here whats going on around you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 06/06/12 at 07:46:28

bill67 wrote on 06/06/12 at 07:22:05:
I've never road with ear plugs,How do you here whats going on around you.

You hear a lot better with earplugs.  
-- Without ear plugs, the wind noise (and the exhaust noise for the "my straight pipes prove I am manly" crowd) is deafening.  This drowns out a lot of the noises you really do want to hear,.. such as engine noises that weren't there before, or cages sneaking up on you, or emergency vehicle noise, or,.... in some cases, the person on the back.  
-- With ear plugs, the volume of everything is reduced to a safer, and more listenable level.  All the noises are still there.  All those noises can now be heard more easily.
-- Generally the foam earplugs reduce wind noise frequencies more than the other frequencies.  They act somewhat like a notch filter, allowing the sounds you DO want to hear to pass through more easily.
-- Having lost a lot of hearing from flying jets and not using earplugs for part of it, I am quite sensitive saving all the hearing I can.  Riding motorcyles at highway speeds w/o earplugs creates decibel levels that cause permanent damage.

One warning with the foam filters, though,.. they must be inserted all the way in or you leave an acoustic volume inside the ear canal that can seem to amplify certain frequency ranges and make things worse.  It makes me laugh when I see people shooting on some of the gun shows that have foam earplugs inserted about a 1/4" with most of the earplug outside.  One good test is to roll them up, shove them all the way in, wait for a minute to let them expand, then snap your fingers up close to your ear.  If you can barely hear it, it worked.  Otherwise, do it again. If you have to try a few times to get them out, because they are in so far, that is about right.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #14 - 06/06/12 at 14:15:08

+1 on Gyrobob. When you first put them in you'll wonder if you've cancelled too much sound. Then you'll go for your ride and immediately find you're hearing just fine, thank you. Then you'll stop for a cup of coffee, forget to put them in when you get back on the bike, hit the starter and think "holy (fecal matter)". At which point you'll be a convert, if you weren't already. For me, ATGATT includes ear plugs.

There's great information on this at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:25:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › what helmet for best wind noise reduction?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.