Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Need some Recomendations (Read 557 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Need some Recomendations
06/05/12 at 01:07:18

Well as the title states a need a little help with some recommendations here.

1.  I've really been thinking about moving over to the progressive shocks but unsure which ones I would need.  I'd like a little smoother ride then what it is now.  I have the 140/90 tire on it so I'm not sure what length I would need to get nor what spring rate to get either.  95% of the time I will be riding Solo.  I weigh in at around 240 so I'm no light weight on this little bike.  

2.  I'm also trying to find a set of LED run/turn lights for front and rear that can actually be seen and aren't so tiny that they are barely noticeable and at the same time don't brake the bank.  I like the looks of the Custom Dynamics units but at $200 per set that's a bit steep.

3.  I'm looking for is a new slip-on muffler that gives a nice mellow tone and rumble but not nearly as loud as the Jardine that is on it currently.

4.  I'm also looking to replace the stock Suzuki saddle bags for a set that can hold at least a gallon of milk for those time I just wanna take the savage out when not needing to do full grocery shopping.

5.  Maybe a bigger windshield then the tiny stock Suzuki unit so I have better coverage.

6.  H.I.D. upgrade.  on this I've been trying to look around and can't seem to find out, will I need to upgrade to a bigger light bucket as well for this or will the stock bucket be large enough? I was kinda looking at the Custom dynamics one that has the movable optics so it simulates a hi/low beam system.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls suggestions.

R.F.

« Last Edit: 06/05/12 at 09:03:42 by rfw2003 »  

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Need some Recomendations
Reply #1 - 06/05/12 at 09:04:19

cleaned up the post and listed the rest of what I was looking for.  was late and tired when I posted it Tongue

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/12 at 12:55:21

The only thing I can help with would be the muffler. I went to a local customizing shop and went through their stacks of take-off Harley mufflers. Found a Dyna one that had the slot mounting bracket and the guy only charged me $5.00 for it. Went to the Harley dealer & bought a clamp for $8.00.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/05/12 at 13:44:26

The standard sportster shock is the 412-1005 (?) you can get these fairly cheap but the spring rate is a little soft for you, full preload will barely do it.  Next up spring rate is better.  Not sure what is offered with the HD sportster.

HID, I put the electronics outside the bucket in a bag I tuck in behind the bucket, but I'm not using the stock bucket either so I might have more room then usual.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 06/05/12 at 20:22:02

verslagen1 wrote on 06/05/12 at 13:44:26:
The standard sportster shock is the 412-1005 (?) you can get these fairly cheap but the spring rate is a little soft for you, full preload will barely do it.  Next up spring rate is better.  Not sure what is offered with the HD sportster.

HID, I put the electronics outside the bucket in a bag I tuck in behind the bucket, but I'm not using the stock bucket either so I might have more room then usual.

Using that info looks like I will need the 115/155 rate springs then as that is the next step up on the rate from what you quoted for the sportster.  Should I stick with the stock length or go that extra 1/2" to 1" as well with my weight and 140/90 tire?

Mounting the electronics behind the bucket is a pretty good idea, might just give that a try. If it doesn't work out to well I can always get a bigger bucket later on so I can mount them inside the bucket.

BobWd  I'll try the Harley shop next time I'm down in Tyler and see if I can pick me up a Dyna muffler and give that a try.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/05/12 at 22:27:27

412-4233c is listed as the standard 412 series 11" for 1992-2007 VS800 Intruder/Blvd S50

11" is about a 1/2" longer than stock and has more travel.

shouldn't be a problem if you order for the S50, but if you get a set for the sportster, you'll need the metric adapter.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/06/12 at 09:06:31

As far as windscreens go, you can search here on the forum for a lot of recommendations. I don't have a screen on my Savage, but I do have a really great one from GIVI on my Nighthawk 750. It's on the bigger side, as I use the bike for touring and camping trips, but this thing gives me as much wind protection as a full fairing, and I like the looks of it too. Givi makes several models in smaller sizes as well. I got mine from Twisted Throttle...

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecatalogue/imageview/2090/?RefererURL=/tra...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/06/12 at 09:12:27

verslagen1 wrote on 06/05/12 at 22:27:27:
412-4233c is listed as the standard 412 series 11" for 1992-2007 VS800 Intruder/Blvd S50

11" is about a 1/2" longer than stock and has more travel.

shouldn't be a problem if you order for the S50, but if you get a set for the sportster, you'll need the metric adapter.

That what I have on my s40 if I did it again I would go to 11 1/2 length, I weight 155 I think they are a little stiff for me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 06/06/12 at 12:44:13

I think saddlebags are kind of a personal choice, but my husband and I both have Saddlemen bags (www.saddlemen.com/) and I have been very happy with the looks, durability, quality and craftsmanship.  Bought both sets from www.DennisKirk.com, and was pleased with every purchase I've made from them.  Quick shipping, great customer service.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/07/12 at 10:01:03

And by the way... I can't say exactly which Progressive shock will work for you on your Savage, but I can say I put a set on my Nighthawk last Summer, and it's a completely different motorcycle. I absolutely love the ride. I was hesitant to spend the money, but I didn't want anything used either; especially for the miles I want to put on the bike. They were worth every penny.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/07/12 at 12:39:55

Order the shocks for a VS1400. Stronger spring rate stock than the VS800. Or get a set for a Dyna, same size as  Sportster but heavier duty everything.

I run a set of Saddleman slant bags, either Drifter or Desperado (whichever came with studs). Same bags, one is plain the other has chrome spots. Relocate your rear turn signals, they will fit better. Make a double L bracket that bolts to the back of your license plate holder.Drill holes in the short section, move your lights.

Windshield? My wife and I both have had Memphis Shades on our bikes, in fact her 800 Intruder runs the one off my old 800A Vulcan. Get a fork mounted one, they work much better than bar mounted, less vibration induced blur in them. And remember, you look OVER a bike windshield, not through one. I don't run one on my Savage, windshields and 15" rise bars look, um, how to put this delicately...   Lips Sealed

Oh, fwiw, the 1970s Progressives on my 1963 Scrambler still work perfectly. Choose carefully, they don't wear out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 06/07/12 at 22:54:34

well sounds like the 11" or 11.5"  412-4233c are the ones I need, as they are the ones listed for both the VS800 and the VS1400.  I figured the progressive style shocks would be the best all around for giving me the best ride possible while still giving me what was needed given my weight.

I'll check out those Saddle bags mentioned and see what they look like.  Just needing something a little bigger then what's on it now, as the stock Suzuki ones are tiny and don't hold much of anything. I'll also give the windshields mentioned a looksie as well, and yes I know you look over them and not through em. It's just the stock one for me at 6'1" doesn't really provide much of anything at all, plus for me is kinda useless with as tiny as it is.  Other then what was mentioned in the OP the only other thing I may upgrade in the future is most likely either the bars or at least bar risers but not much as I only need just a little bit of a raise to get them in a little more comfy position.  Myself I'm not a real big fan of the looks nor does it look comfy to have bars where you have your hands up at shoulder height Tongue

R.F.

IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/08/12 at 08:28:53

Could you post some pics of the windshield? I may be interested in buying it from you if you end up changing it.

IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/08/12 at 12:53:49

Regarding the HID light, I've thinking about it as well, there are good kits on ebay for about 55-60 bucks, a 35Watt kit containing two of everything, so you will have a spare in anything goes wrong along the way!
I'll stick with the 5000k or 6000k ones, I like the white light, not the blue one.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 06/08/12 at 14:20:57

BobWd wrote on 06/08/12 at 08:28:53:
Could you post some pics of the windshield? I may be interested in buying it from you if you end up changing it.

Here ya go

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:23:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need some Recomendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.