Another new seat story (Read 294 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Another new seat story
06/04/12 at 19:33:56

So as many have noted the Savage stock seat is NOT comfortable for very long.  I really did not want to drop near $300 on a Corbin ( as nice as I am sure they are).. that kind of money just seems to rail against the whole being of a Savage... I found an old chap that recovers boat seats and makes bikini tops for boats. The request was for him  to recover the seat and pad it up so i could ride a tich longer. I haven't gotten to ride more than my normal of 20 minutes or so at a time but I am hopeful and pleased.

Original Seat:

New seat:

This was built on my original frame, so he did not go into modifing that.  And he gave me back my old covers, as there is really nothing wrong with them.

IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Re: Another new seat story
Reply #1 - 06/05/12 at 13:10:46

I like that. Looks real comfortable. I did something similar. I took a Honda Shadow seat & cut the foam down to fit my stock pan. So much more comfortable over the stock seat. I just need to find someone who can make it look good, my skills are lacking in that department. I'm going to check with my brother-in-law, when I go to Kansas this summer, to see if he knows anyone with a sportster seat that I can modify to fit.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 06/05/12 at 20:44:49

Lemme add my dos centavos about seats...   If you're into longer distances, plush is NOT the way to go.   It may be comfy for short rides like commutes, but will quickly become annoying on a distance ride..   The reason is, on a distance ride your jeans will eat your butt and thighs alive; i.e., the actual denim material will totally conform at the skin level and become VERY uncomfortable.  If there is no way for air to circulate to evaporate sweat, it multiplies the problem 10 fold.   Choose a seat kinda like you would choose a mattress for your bed, depending on how you ride or sleep.  I have purchased several Corbins and have done marathon rides (1000 miles in 24 hours, and 11,700 miles in 21 days).   I chose a firm seat for those rides and had no regrets.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/08/12 at 08:36:48

@ Pine    Here are a couple of pics of my seat since I worked on it last night. I took the original foam & put it back on the stock pan, then I put the foam from the Shadow seat on top of that, trimmed it up some & re-stretched the shadow cover over it all. Rode it to work this morning and it felt good. Need to go for a ride to see how it really feels.

Seat1.jpg
  IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/08/12 at 08:37:44

Another pic.

Seat2.jpg
  IP Logged
bikejunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/17/12 at 11:07:33

I recovered my seat with a jacket I picked up at a thrift store for $5.

IMG_9825.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/17/12 at 11:28:47

Thats a well spent 5 bucks! IDK if sealing it would be okay or not,, Id sure be tempted to see what some mink oil did, it mite last a lot longer. The sun will wreak havoc on leather & itll get wet & then dry out & go to heck, like a boot not cared for.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 06/18/12 at 07:26:32

I am liking that contrast.

So far the newly padded seat is meeting expectations. Thats not to say its a replacement for a Corbin, but its definatly better than stock. So far my longest ride has only been about 100 miles. I did get sore but not near like when stock, and recovery was just a few minutes of streching.

Bob.. Looks great!

IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/18/12 at 08:13:53

Here is what my bike looks like now that I used the rear pad & cover of the Shadow seat on my stock pan. My 16 y/o son says that it is a whole lot more comfortable. Grin Grin Grin

Seat3.jpg
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/21/12 at 01:17:06

bikejunkie wrote on 06/17/12 at 11:07:33:
I recovered my seat with a jacket I picked up at a thrift store for $5.

If you still have the sleeves from that jacket, you could make some front fork cozies out of em and they would match your seat. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:14:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another new seat story

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.