Send Topic Print
fork tube question (Read 61 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
fork tube question
06/04/12 at 10:07:21

Please help me understand. Earlier I was asking about my front wheel and looked into getting it re-laced to a 21". That would lift the front of the bike 1" over stock. I have been doing some searching and now am wondering if extended fork tubes a better way to go. I only want 1" (maybe 2") of lift. I just can't seem to find much info on extended fork tubes for the Savage. I sent an email to Forking by Frank (http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/) but that was just to inquire about pricing. I can't even find a tutorial on how to replace them. I don't know if my magic Google fingers need more ground up unicorn dust or this stuff just doesn't exist. Any help, input, advice, photos, videos, etc would be greatly appreciated.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: fork tube question
Reply #1 - 06/04/12 at 10:48:18

Here is a list of fork tube diameters. http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=95570 Unfortunately they don't give fork tube length, just diameter.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 06/04/12 at 10:53:04

The Clymer's manual, or the Suzuki Service manual will tell you how to do it.
Also look in the tech section under "fork seal replacement". - Tells you how to dis-assemble the forks.
To replace the fork tubes would require fabricating longer spacers out of PVC tubing.
Bear in mind that longer tubes will affect the trail and make the handling worse, although an inch or two would not make too much difference. I think Frank states that he will not make tubes any longer than 4" over stock, without rake modifications.
I am curious as to why you want to do this.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 06/04/12 at 10:58:58

arteacher wrote on 06/04/12 at 10:53:04:
The Clymer's manual, or the Suzuki Service manual will tell you how to do it.

Ya know, I bought a manual a month ago from a member here. It sits on the back of my toilet. Perhaps I should actually read it.  Shocked

To replace the fork tubes would require fabricating longer spacers out of PVC tubing.

I assume that is to fill the space that the springs need?

I am curious as to why you want to do this.

I think it would look better. I also think it would be easier on back.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 11:09:36

Looks are a personal thing, and personally I think the bigger wheel would be the way to go.
As far as helping your back, have you considered forward controls, a better seat, (that would be where I would- and did- start) and/ or different bars? Much more effective on comfort than raising the front end.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/04/12 at 11:43:48

arteacher wrote on 06/04/12 at 11:09:36:
...Much more effective on comfort than raising the front end.

Agreed; regardless of the looks of the bike, lifting or lowering the front end just one inch without making any other changes probably won't affect the comfort of your ride at all; especially for your back.
You need to change your ergonomic position on the bike, not the bike's stance on the road.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:28:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fork tube question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.