Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Drum Break Sticking? (Read 231 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Rear Drum Break Sticking?
06/03/12 at 20:18:47

I took the bike out yesterday and noticed that the rear break pedal felt a bit... odd. Well at the second stoplight I came to the bike had more trouble than normal taking off the line. I realized the rear drum break was sticking and providing resistance to the rear wheel. I lifted up on the break pedal with my boot and it disengaged. I rode to the nearest gas station and pulled over to see what the problem was. By this point once I pressed the break, it wouldn't disengage at all. Lifting up on the pedal yielded no response. If I pushed the pedal down, it  would go until I heard a click.

The only way to get the break to disengage was to back the adjuster nut out on the cable until the break released. Once it was adjusted enough to release, the break pedal did nothing when pressed. I played with the adjustment a bit which was the only thing the brake was responding to. Couldn't get it to disengage with the nut turned in on the cable, couldn't get it to engage with the nut turned out on the cable to a point where it would let the wheel spin freely.

Any ideas? The bike has 12,5XX miles and the drum pads seemed it good condition last time I had the wheel off, can't imagine they would ever need replaced anyway.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear Drum Break Sticking?
Reply #1 - 06/03/12 at 20:24:06

are the pedal return spring and the brake arm return spring on correctly?

the front spring is quite often not on right.

WWW   IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #2 - 06/03/12 at 22:37:52

Quote:
are the pedal return spring and the brake arm return spring on correctly?

the front spring is quite often not on right.

Last couple of times I put the rear wheel back on the brake has worked fine. Including the last. This seems to be a recent development not resulting from taking things apart. The front pedal has never been apart.

Could some of this incur misplacement from wear and tear?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/03/12 at 22:50:37

IDK whats wrong, but unless you can find a clue, I think youre gonna hafta pull the rear tire

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 06/03/12 at 23:55:35

Quote:
IDK whats wrong, but unless you can find a clue, I think youre gonna hafta pull the rear tire

Agreed. Certainly not a bad thing. The only problem is finding a friend to help put it back on as my hands aren't numerous enough to do it. Had I not recruited my roommate to do it 2 other times then it wouldn't cost me a couple o' beers... Right now I have some good stuff in the fridge, should I just take it "somewhere"?  Cheesy

I suppose I was wondering if anyone had a diagnosis of what it would be within the break given the pads generally don't wear down this early as to get a head start on part ordering. A suggestion from local family members suggested worn springs or a worn out cam, but suggested the unlikeliness of such parts being worn yet.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 06/04/12 at 00:39:37

when you try using the brake pedal does it move the brake cam at all?  if not you may have a seized cable or melted cable causing your issue. That is what it is sounding like to me since at first you said you could pull the pedal up to free it then the next time you were not able to pull the pedal up and now can only release it by backing the adjusting nut off at the brake cam itself.  The Brake cable could have shaken loose somewhere and came to close or in contact with your exhaust and caused this exact issue.

Just my 2 cents for something to check.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/04/12 at 05:00:38

You need to do a little investigation.  Loosen the adjuster at the rear wheel and see if the brake arm on the wheel is free.  If the shaft is corroded or dry it may be sticking.  The brake cable could also be dry and sticking - as could the front pedal.  It sounds to me like you need to take the brake system apart, clean and lube the moving parts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 06/04/12 at 07:32:06

I agree with Dave.   First figure out what is causing the stick, then focus on that part of the overall brake system.   It looks pretty easy to isolate the 3 groups.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/04/12 at 07:43:18

Good call Dave,, Yea,, he is dead on there,,Isolate the possible causes & check them out individually. You may need a cheater to engage the brake
w/o the pedal. A deep socket & extension makes a decent cheater in places where a guy just needs a bit more Oomph.
I use 1/4 drive stuff on allen wrenches all the time..

If you do wind up going into the brake area, make sure you dont breathe any of that dust.

One man can reinstall the rear wheel,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 06/04/12 at 07:57:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/04/12 at 07:43:18:

Or at least one man and a midget.

Off topic...  looking thru the shop manual I noticed there are "cushions" in the rear wheel, I presume to help smooth the thump.   These look replaceable.   Are they hard rubber or what?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/04/12 at 08:21:24

Theyre pretty stiff, but their job is pretty tuff, too. Yea, theyre replaceable , but they dont need replaced, generally.I saw some slack in mine & cut some strips of inner tube & shimmed them up a bit.
It takes some planning, getting everything set up where ya need it & some coordination & ability to see whats not fitting & what its gonna take to get it going. A rolling stool is important, because feet go under the tire to lift & position it. Getting the spacer in on the belt side needs to happen early.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/04/12 at 08:27:08

360k+ wrote on 06/04/12 at 07:57:59:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/04/12 at 07:43:18:

Off topic...  looking thru the shop manual I noticed there are "cushions" in the rear wheel, I presume to help smooth the thump.   These look replaceable.   Are they hard rubber or what?

Way back in time (1973) the Suzuki dealer I worked at used to take the rear hubs on the TM racing bikes apart - then pour an epoxy rubber into the hub to fill the voids between the rubber blocks and the hub.  When the sprocket hub was replaced the excess rubber oozed out and was cleaned up.  When the epoxy rubber set up there was no more play - but you still had the cushion.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #12 - 06/04/12 at 08:36:05

The guy I bought my bike from had the same issue but rode a little to long......
Rear hub was seized when I got it, has a nice color now....

savage_003_001.JPG

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 06/04/12 at 08:55:31

Wow, that golden hub is a nice touch!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 06/04/12 at 10:04:59

Check and lube the activation parts and spring as stated. Then check the arm on the hub to see if it is slipping around the pivot. Then open it up to check if the cam is going past the point of no return for some reason like a worn or broken brake shoe. That's all I got.  Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Drum Break Sticking?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.