Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
petcock issues? (Read 177 times)
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
petcock issues?
06/03/12 at 19:09:21

OK guys, I finished up my ryca project this weekend.  Filled the tank and 27 miles later, the bike started cutting out like it was out of gas--I had to pull off the road, switch to reserve, restart, then take off.  I think I remember reading on the board something about a raptor petcock upgrade.  Have any of you that have done the ryca conversion switched to the raptor?  The reason I ask is that the stock petcock barely fits after the conversion due to minimal clearance between the petcock and frame--does the raptor petcock fit after the ryca conversion?  Please advise.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
Re: petcock issues?
Reply #1 - 06/04/12 at 06:28:18

@bikertrash - I'm piggybacking of your post. I can't answer your question about the Raptor fitting on the Ryca. I have read it is physically smaller.

My problems from this weekend seem to point to petcock issues of my own.

I've been trying to read up on the Raptor upgrade. Are there any disadvantages to changing to the Raptor petcock? It seems like a no brainer.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 06/04/12 at 06:39:03

The whole purpose of a vacuum petcock is safety. With a vacuum petcock gas is supplied to the carb only when the bike is running. If you crash, the gas is shut off (no vacuum) and the likelihood of fire is greatly reduced.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #3 - 06/04/12 at 06:47:24

If you crash, gas would still likely leak out of the gas cap.

Back to the original question:  Does the raptor mod fit the ryca conversion?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 06:48:52

if you crash, there are any number of ways that gas will escape the system...I think that is a lame argument...just my 2 cents...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 06/04/12 at 06:50:20

i think the raptor will fit but I have no first hand knowledge...it cetainly fits the stock tank!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #6 - 06/04/12 at 06:54:17

Thanks Bubba.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/04/12 at 06:56:02

Kyle wrote on 06/04/12 at 06:28:18:
@bikertrashI've been trying to read up on the Raptor upgrade. Are there any disadvantages to changing to the Raptor petcock? It seems like a no brainer.

The diaphragm petcock prevents fuel flowing into the engine if your float sticks - as no fuel can flow if the engine is not running.  In the old days we just remembered to shut the petcock off at the end of each ride.  The diaphragm fuel petcock, safety switch on the kickstand, clutch lever lockout.....are all items provided so you don't have to remember how to be safe on your own.

I just put jets in my carb over the weekend and was surprised to see that the carb does not have an overflow tube for the float bowl. Shocked  The result is that if you put a Raptor petcock on, and forget to shut it off....you may end up with a crankcase full of fuel.  If the carb overflows the fuel will run into the engine and seep into the crankcase and dilute the engine oil.

I will tell you that most of the RCYA bikes I have seen have the Raptor petcock listed as an added part.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 06/04/12 at 07:09:26

@Dave, agreed...the vac will prevent a nightmare if the carb fails in that way....but....I always shut off the raptor because I'm used to doing it. It also exercises the petcock lever so it doesn't get so sticky...my stock petcock was a bear to turn because I think no one ever turned it...

IP Logged
Kyle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

St. Charles, IL
Reply #9 - 06/04/12 at 07:16:43

@Bubbe

I was taught on a bike with a manual petcock. MSF even teaches FINE-C = Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Electrical, Clutch as their starting procedure. I keep finding myself going to shut mine off now and have to stop myself.

I don't think my petcock has even been turned. I was out for a long ride a few weeks back, ran out of fuel, and that was a bear to turn to reserve.

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #10 - 06/04/12 at 07:21:28

Good info--thanks Dave.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/04/12 at 07:21:40

Dave wrote on 06/04/12 at 06:56:02:
I just put jets in my carb over the weekend and was surprised to see that the carb does not have an overflow tube for the float bowl. Shocked  The result is that if you put a Raptor petcock on, and forget to shut it off....you may end up with a crankcase full of fuel.  If the carb overflows the fuel will run into the engine and seep into the crankcase and dilute the engine oil.

True and Not true, the carb has 2 vents, but they run up high, so it takes a lot to overflow them.  A crankcase full of fuel takes a failed float valve and the bike parked level to downhill.  Unfortunately, tall shocks and 18" wheels do that quite nicely.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/04/12 at 07:56:47

Kyle wrote on 06/04/12 at 07:16:43:
@Bubbe

I was taught on a bike with a manual petcock. MSF even teaches FINE-C = Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Electrical, Clutch as their starting procedure. I keep finding myself going to shut mine off now and have to stop myself.

I don't think my petcock has even been turned. I was out for a long ride a few weeks back, ran out of fuel, and that was a bear to turn to reserve.

They do get stiff, I would oil it & work it, till it worked a bit smoother.

I switch to prime when Im really needing reserve, because its easier to pull than push while Im riding,
& do that even if Im Not wanting reserve, just to make sure it works & I have access to that last bit of gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #13 - 06/04/12 at 09:10:27

I can't spak to a Ryca conversion, but I did the Raptor conversion on my stock tank, and I would say that the Raptor depth is about 1" or so further from the frame over the stock petcock.  Clearance is much better with the stock tank, so if the Ryca tank is narrower by about 1" per side, it "should" work.  Cool

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 06/04/12 at 09:53:27

The Raptor is smaller, so I would guess it will fit the stock tank if the Ryca is stock. I didn't even remove the tank to replace mine. Cured my fuel issues of starvation over a year ago. Yamaha part number is 5LP-24500-01-00 if you decide on one. Be aware your reserve is a little less with the Raptor petcock. And you have to plug or cap the vacuum hole on the right side of the carburetor. 20 minutes tops. Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:20:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › petcock issues?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.