Send Topic Print
Problem filling tank (Read 140 times)
nuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Problem filling tank
06/03/12 at 17:03:28

The last time I filled the tank I was on the right side and pointed the end of the nozzle towards the front, slightly to the right. I pulled the lever as minimal as possible to get flow. The initial flow was a slight rush then I maintained a slow flow. It still seamed like it bubbled and fizzed a lot. One other time I pointed towards the rear and gas immediately blew out of the tank. Being a small shallow tank with a tall center it would appear to be difficult by nature. What is your best method? Most off the time I get gas on the tank and wash with the windshield wash bucket. Yesterday I rode and filled my old BMW and ran 3 gallon in full force before lessoning for another half gallon with out a drop getting loose. So for the Savage I need to adopt a best practice.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Problem filling tank
Reply #1 - 06/03/12 at 17:07:57

I hold the nozzle about 3" into the tank facing the front and fill it till the automatic stop from the back pressure on the nozzle, then I pull the nozzle back till it is just in the tank and fill it very slowly till it's just to the bottom of the neck on the inside of the tank.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #2 - 06/03/12 at 17:17:06

ArtTeacher's way doesn't work for me on many of the filling pumps because it won't let me pump unless the nozzle is only an inch in and I'm pulling/holding the rubber boot so it will actually pump gas.  Have had all the bad experiences mentioned by the op and as luck would have it found the answer, for me anyway, just yesterday.  I usually fill from the right too.  This time I stood on the left, pulled the boot up and directed the flow to about 2 o'clock on the tank opening.  Seemed to be the deepest spot in that position.  No spill or blowback.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 06/03/12 at 17:22:38

http://www.mccuff.com/       I bought one of these . it sells for $20 new. I never used it . I'll sell mine for $10 ,plus $3 shipping.Let me know.

IP Logged
nuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/03/12 at 17:25:10

I will be able to try kuri77's method in a coiple of days. His mention of the 2 oclock method is what I was trying to decribe as forward, slightly to the right, thanks, so I will try fome the left. This may give a better nozzle angle. I will report Wednessday night. I am leaving the tank low for the 600 mile service.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/03/12 at 17:32:05

never had a problem myself, but I got them dam epa boots to deal with to find out.  most always fill with nozzle in right hand and close to body.  so pointing forward to left 9 to 12 o'clock range.

WWW   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 06/03/12 at 19:32:05

The boots have been found to be worthless in containing fumes. EPA now reccomends that stations remove them.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 07/28/12 at 19:30:20

verslagen1 wrote on 06/03/12 at 17:32:05:
never had a problem myself, but I got them dam epa boots to deal with to find out.  most always fill with nozzle in right hand and close to body.  so pointing forward to left 9 to 12 o'clock range.

I never ride in California without one of these:

E-Z Fill Nozzle Key

Worth its weight in gold.  I coated mine with duct tape so that it will not scratch the fairing compartments in my touring bikes.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #8 - 07/28/12 at 21:35:46

I live in So Cal With the stupid boots never had a problem just stuff it in when the pump shuts off I lift the boot and finish to the bottom of the stem in my California tank. I think this is what artteacher said.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problem filling tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.