Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
trouble putting in new brake fluid (Read 426 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: trouble putting in new brake fluid
Reply #30 - 06/06/12 at 18:06:32

Alright well I got the brakes bled fine, there is a lot of pressure in system. However, the caliper piston is still sticking out. I Pumped the lever until the caliper piston was out a good bit then used dome PB blaster and grease to lube it up then pressed it back in with a c-clamp. put pads in and wheel and it is still grabbing and sticking. Should I take the caliper piston out altogether or continue the lube press repeat prosess?

Also, the smaller retainer that goes on the upper part of the brake pads is a bit loose since one of the smaller tabs that holds it in place broke off. Does it need to be snug, should I replace it or can I get by?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #31 - 06/14/12 at 06:12:04

OK, so I walked away from the front brake for a few days to focus on other aspects of my build hoping someone would come up with a solution for me. The caliper piston is still not retracting. I have pumped the caliper piston out several times to lube and press back in. It grabs fine but just wont return. ideas?

IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 06/14/12 at 06:18:17

Hello Splash07

What do you mean by "retracting"
The piston on the caliper should stay out when not braking, just not pushing the pads. If you are able to turn your wheel after releasing the brake lever then you are OK, the piston does not go back in by itself, it is just pushed back enough to allow the rotation of the disc. in this way it is always adjusted and ready to brake.

please let us know if you are not able to rotate the wheel, that will be a whole different matter that may require further cleaning of the caliper, and maybe new seals.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #33 - 06/14/12 at 06:22:51

yeah it definitely wont let the wheel turn when I pull the lever and release.

IP Logged
lch2

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 06/14/12 at 06:31:32

splash07 wrote on 06/14/12 at 06:22:51:
yeah it definitely wont let the wheel turn when I pull the lever and release.

I think there are two options for this to happened:

1. Pressure not being released by the Master Cylinder, to check this just quickly open the bleeder to see if there's pressure, after releasing the pressure you should be able to turn the wheel or

2. The piston being stuck, maybe dirt build up, or the piston grabbing something when pushed back in, and that is causing the piston to be jammed,  for this I will take the caliper out, and push the piston out (using air or something like it, don't grab it with pliers or anything that can damage the piston walls)
Completely clean the piston and the caliper from build ups, and assemble back together, I use a special grease for this called Versalube, or vaseline if Versalube is not available, don't like to use regular grease.

Maybe someone else has another suggestion for you!

Good luck

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #35 - 06/14/12 at 06:40:30

Ich2, thanks for the suggestions, I dont think that it's a pressure problem, I have tried to release pressure form the caliper by opening the bleeder and letting out some fluid and still nothing.

So I am going to give the caliper piston and caliper itself a good cleaning, greasing, and then reassemble and hope that works. will keep yall posted.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #36 - 06/14/12 at 06:43:18

If the piston is sticking, remove the caliper & before you disconnect it from the hose, hold it over a bucket & gently pump the lever & the piston will pop out. Then just clean the piston & caliper of any residue. Use brake fluid to lube the piston to press it back in. Brake fluid & the seals do not mix well with petroleum products. If the piston has any rust on it it will have to be replaced. You should be able to press the piston in by hand if everything is clean & lubed. Smiley Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #37 - 06/15/12 at 07:36:49

OK, so I popped the piston out last night. Looked a bit dirty so I used some brake fluid and my finger to clean it up then wiped it down with a rag. It looked pretty clean. So I used some brake fluid to lube it up and did the same to the inside of the caliper and tried pushing it back in. I opened the bleeder to release any air pressure. I could get the piston to go in about 3-4 mm but then it just stops and wont go any further by hand. Time for new seals?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #38 - 06/19/12 at 10:51:17

Searched around a bit and couldnt find any directions for rebuilding the front caliper. Any suggestions for me. Ordered new seals yesterday, my piston looks decent so i am going to try and reuse it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 06/19/12 at 11:26:56

Thers nothing to explain, clean it up, inspect the puck, make sure everything is smooth, put Orings where they go, put some brake fluid on parts that have to slip together & slip it together.

Unless theres a trick part in the caliper I dont know about, its just a hydraulic cylinder that has a casting on it to mount to the bike & hold pads.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #40 - 07/08/12 at 16:20:03

update: Finally got around to puttin in the new seals. Got em in OK, lubed everything with brake fluid, was able to push the piston in by hand with some finageling. Now when I apply the front brake the wheel stops and the brake pads let go when the lever is released, however, there is still some resistance. Not much but its there and its slowing me down, literally. How much resistance should i expect or should the wheel spin freely everytime you release the brake lever?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 07/08/12 at 16:41:20

Its gonna drag some, just the nature of the beast,,if you cant roll it around easily, somethings wrong,, youll hear it, but it shouldnt be dragging so much that the disk gets hot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #42 - 07/08/12 at 19:28:11

OK, well after countless pumps on the brake lever, the brakes still release their grip. They do drag a bit but I guess that is the nature of the beast. Thanks everyone. Now all I have to do is take it all apart, tape it off, sand it again, repaint it, bake it to cure the paint, reassemble, re-bleed, and I am good to go. updates soon.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 07/08/12 at 19:45:04

You can do all that when its too cold to ride, cant ya?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #44 - 07/08/12 at 19:48:01

I would normally wait but with this project I have been working on it for so long that I want it 100% right the first time its out of the house. Ive waited this long, whats another 4-6 hours to get it all the way there.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:32:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trouble putting in new brake fluid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.