Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
trouble putting in new brake fluid (Read 426 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
trouble putting in new brake fluid
06/03/12 at 16:31:15

I have searched and found where others have had this problem but I cannot saeem to fix it. I have no pressure when I pull in the brake lever. I have recently changed to the SS brake line and so I am starting with a dry system and new fluid. Put fluid in reservoir and did the ole pump sqeuze open close bit for a while before I decided nothing at all was actually happening. Searched some more and decided I needed to bleed the master cylinder. So I pulled lever in lossened the banjo on the master cyl then tightened it then pump and repeat, did not seem to be anything happening. removed the hose altogether and pumped the lever and only a small trickle of fluid comes form the master cyl. I still have no resistence, help?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: trouble putting in new brake fluid
Reply #1 - 06/03/12 at 16:50:32

gravity bleed, fill master, open bleeder go get a beer.
refill master when necessary.  refill beer when necessary.

you may even need to remove the bleeder to get it to go.

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 06/03/12 at 16:50:52

You need to loosen the bleeder screw on caliper itself... If you've never done it before, find someone to help you... These are your BRAKES and you need them to work correctly.

The process is... Attach a hose (I used aquarium hose from the local pet shop) to the nipple of the bleeder on the caliper. Loosen the bleeder screw, with the reservoir filled (I always put the cap/lid back on, didn't screw it, but laid on top - I also propped the bike up so that master cylinder was level), pump the brake lever 4 to 5 times, hold the lever in and tighten the bleeder screw... Let out on the brake lever. Loosen the screw, pump 4 to 5 times, tighten the screw, let out on the brake lever. Repeat this until you have a full stream of brake fluid coming out of the tube with NO BUBBLES... Remember to keep the reservoir filled, as you'll be draining it when bleeding. I had to add fluid 4 or 5 times during my bleeding.

Things to keep in mind... Do not close the bleeder screw with the brake lever OUT... And do not open it with the brake lever pulled in.

Again... If you don't know what you're doing... Get someone that does to help you. These are things that you don't want to fail when you need them. Smiley

« Last Edit: 06/04/12 at 18:24:19 by SimonTuffGuy »  

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #3 - 06/03/12 at 17:22:53

the hose is completly removed and no fluid will come out of the master cyl.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/03/12 at 17:34:28

last time I replaced a hose I used a vacuum bleeder.
didn't even have time to get a beer.   :'(

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 06/03/12 at 20:04:21

OK, took hose of master cyl, emptied all the fluid out of the master cyl, blew a little compressed air in the outlet to clean things out a little. Put the whole system back together and filled the reservoir with fluid, zip tied the brake lever back, opened the bleeder and put the bleeder in a jar of brake fluid. Wait 30 minutes drink several beers, return to find nothing has happened. No fluid is gone from the reservoir. What the heck!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/03/12 at 20:18:14

don't tie the lever down, when it's released is when it equalizes.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/03/12 at 20:28:37

I'm thinking the 1st time I did it, I used the palm of my hand over the top of the master cylinder to seal it off and press down to pump the fluid in, think that got it going.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/03/12 at 23:13:28

When there is exactly zero fluid in the M/C & the hole in the bottom is blown dry, I think its hard to get the fluid to pass into that little hole. IDK why, exactly, cuz if you had a hole that size in a bottle of brake fluid, it'd be empty in a minute,,Anyway, if you have a syringe, pull the fluid level down in the M/C, then load the syringe & put it right down on the hole & try to seal it off by pushing on it & try to force some fluid into the piston, mite need to squeeze the lever a couple of times.
Look up
Prime master cylinder

Getting a vac setup for blake breeding is a good thing. save tons of hassle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 06/04/12 at 07:05:05

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 06/03/12 at 16:50:52:
You need to loosen the bleeder screw on caliper itself... If you've never done it before, find someone to help you... These are your BRAKES and you need them to work correctly.

The process is... Attach a hose (I used aquarium hose from the local pet shop) to the nipple of the bleeder on the caliper. Loosen the bleeder screw, with the reservoir filled (I always put the cap/lid back on, didn't screw it, but laid on top - I also propped the bike up so that master cylinder was level), pump the clutch lever 4 to 5 times, hold the lever in and tighten the bleeder screw... Let out on the clutch cable. Loosen the screw, pump 4 to 5 times, tighten the screw, let out on the clutch. Repeat this until you have a full stream of brake fluid coming out of the tube with NO BUBBLES... Remember to keep the reservoir filled, as you'll be draining it when bleeding. I had to add fluid 4 or 5 times during my bleeding.

Things to keep in mind... Do not close the bleeder screw with the clutch lever OUT... And do not open it with the clutch lever pulled in.

Again... If you don't know what you're doing... Get someone that does to help you. These are things that you don't want to fail when you need them. Smiley

Not trying to be funny... pretty sure one needs to replace "brake" where you see "clutch" in these instructions.

I was able to drain my MC and bleed the entire system, with very little problem.  Some ramblings that may be helpful:

In the process, you must:
fill the master cylinder
completely replace the cover and tighten down
open the bleeder, only a little
squessze and hold the brake lever
fully close the bleeder
release the brake lever

That is one cycle...
when the system is full of air you will only get air
as the brake fluid is forced down it will start to "spit"
as all the air is removed you will get a steady stream

This took me at least 30 minutes to do alone with no specialty items.  I had to refill the MC about 5 times.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #10 - 06/04/12 at 08:48:19

Just to make sure you understand.  The entire brake system; master, line, caliper MUST be full of fluid ONLY with no air bubbles - not even little tiny air bubbles.   Why?   Because air compresses, causing spongy brakes.   One of the problems that I think Vers was getting at, is air bubbles rise, so they tend to float AWAY from your caliper because it is BELOW (gravity wise) your master cylinder.   So if there is air in the line it is trying to rise in the line, while you are trying to push it down and out the bleeder - a direction it does not naturally want to go in.

The master cylinder is really just a fancy kind of pump. When you hold the lever in, it is sealed so no fluid can transfer to or from the brake line to the master reservoir.  If you think about it this makes sense.   When you release the lever, the master cylinder "grabs" a new quantity of fluid to push toward the caliper the next time you squeeze.  In an actual working brake system you won't be pushing much fluid at all, and the brake should feel very solid at the lever - almost like a mechanical connection.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/04/12 at 10:04:12

I've been working on bikes since before they had disc brakes. I usually drain & refill mine at least once a year so I've had lots of practice.

I get a length of 3/16" clear tubing long enough to reach from the bleeder screw to the master cylinder. I fill the m/c, put the hose on the bleeder screw & open it about 1/2 turn & hold the free end of the tubing in the fluid in the m/c reservoir. Keeping the free end down in the fluid, I slowly pump the brake lever until I have a solid stream of fluid in the hose. I then close the bleeder screw & remove the hose from the bleeder. If you clamp the hose just above the bleeder before you take it off, you won't even make a mess. This has always worked for me & gives the firmest lever of all the methods I've used for years. Cool It works because when you release the lever, it will draw fluid into the hose & not air, & when you squeeze the lever the air will bubble out. Grin Just keep the free end IN THE FLUID so you don't draw air in.

Between my 2 bikes & my friends, I do this several times a year. It even works for rear disc brakes too, as I found out when I did my V-Star 950 the first time. Roll Eyes

I first came up with this idea in 1980 when I put a disc brake front end from a '72 Norton Commando on my '70. After spendng a frustrating day going through the m/c & caliper, cleaning & rebuilding both, I still couldn't get it to work. I tried this & was done in 15 minutes. You don't forget what works when you've been as frustrated as I was that day. Smiley

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 06/04/12 at 14:41:24

Finally had some time to work on it this afternoon. I tried the palm plunger method suggested by vers. That seemed to get things going. I am now going through the cycle of pump squeeze open close bleeder repeat. It seems to be going OK but really s.....l....o.....w. I have been going for like 20 mionutes and only refilled the reservoir once now. I also get no resistence when I pull on the lever. How long does it usually take to start feeling some pressure?

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/04/12 at 14:50:54

Make sure your forks are turned so the bleeder is at the highest point & use the hose. You will be able to see the air leave the system that way. Cool

You may have to loosen the m/c & rotate it on the bars to a more level position until you have it bled. Smiley

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #14 - 06/04/12 at 14:53:37

I can clearly see air and brake fluid spit come out of the bleeder but the reservior seems to be draining down really slow. How long should this process take if everything is working correctly?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trouble putting in new brake fluid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.