Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spins and trys to start, but won't...what's up? (Read 83 times)
TS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cedar Park, TX
spins and trys to start, but won't...what's up?
06/03/12 at 16:20:53

Hello wise ones,
I am getting my 97 Savage going again after sitting for about 5-6 years in the garage. I have changed the oil/filter, fresh gas, new spark plug, pulled the fuelcock and cleaned it, replaced the fuel line and fuel filter, installed a new battery, checked the fuses, and even installed another orginal muffler (the old one had the baffle removed). I straddle her, kickstand up, clutch in, choke out and gas positioned to on (I tried all the positions on the fuelcock) and the starter spins and she tries to start but she just won't. Sounds like she is trying...but won't start up. What am I missing? What do I need to check next? I've asked her and she won't tell me in a language I can understand.  Wink Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
TS

'97 'lello Savage, stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: spins and trys to start, but won't...what's up
Reply #1 - 06/03/12 at 16:28:01

Cleaned the carb?...  probably all gunked up... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #2 - 06/04/12 at 03:30:22

Could be the battery the good people on the forum taught me that lesson.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 06/04/12 at 06:53:01

if you even think the the stator cover has ever been removed then I'd check the thrust gear washer...verslagen saved me on this one...funny, it was a '97 also...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 07:16:27

Pull the battery, have it tested,

But, before you do that, spritz some starting fluid around & see if it starts,

You can do some cleaning on the carb while its mounted,if that proves necessary.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 06/04/12 at 08:16:57

TS wrote on 06/03/12 at 16:20:53:
...installed a new battery  ...starter spins and she tries to start... but won't start up. What am I missing? What do I need to check next? I've asked her and she won't tell me in a language I can understand.  Wink Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
TS

Ahhh, you don't speak motorese.   Seriously, lets make sure we understand...   the motor IS turning over, but won't fire.   Is that correct?

Assuming the bike was stored in a dry area, it is most likely carb gunk, as Serowbot pointed out.   When gas dries it leaves a sticky residue of petroleum by-products which clog jets and passages.   It will be worse if no storage precautions were taken beforehand.   After 5 or 6 years, I would think a good thorough carb cleaning would be required, and maybe even a "carb kit" (float valves, gaskets, etc.)

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/04/12 at 08:32:01

Yea, you shoulda at least pulled the bowl, now, whatever concentrated crap from the evaporated gas has been pulled in..
You did put the petcock on prime, right?
If you did, get a container & a phillips & drain the bowl, looki at how much & what kinda garbage comes out.Gas today leaves a super Stanky
green liquid when it evaporates. IDK how long that stuff sits till it it turns into shellac.
Dont even try to fire it up till youve done at least a bowl cleaning,
& you can pull the main jet easily. Dont lose the washer,
Make sure you dont use a tired old screwdriver on the pilot. How it fits that slot is important, let it slip a couple of times & it may get almost impossible to remove the pilot. Mite be better off pulling the carb if it isnt cooperative. Id see how it goes, & Id put the bowl back onwith a clean main  in it, & give it a whirl,
If you didnt put it on prime,GOOD,, pull the bowl & go from there.

A can of starting spray is handy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/05/12 at 08:29:28

All you need is air, gas and spark. Eliminate two of those and your troubleshooting will be much easier.

Pull the plug wire, crank it and see if you get a spark jumping to any part of the motor (hold the plug wire about 1/8 inch from some part of the motor that isnt going to start a fire).

If you got spark and you have good air flow in and out then you just aint getting fuel.

If thats the case I agree with Serowbot, I didnt see anything about the carb mentioned in your original post. It only takes like 6 or 8 months before the carb will get gummed up from old gas.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/05/12 at 09:19:54

A shot of starting fluid is handy here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/05/12 at 11:56:00

Most likely the carb, a quick shot of starter fluid for a short run will confirm it.

I cleaned a set of carbs that sat for 20 yrs.  the gunk in those could be used to fix plumbing.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:35:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › spins and trys to start, but won't...what's up?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.