Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Hobbies?
Reply #30 - 06/03/12 at 11:39:12

Boule’tard wrote on 06/03/12 at 08:44:57:
Greg wrote on 06/03/12 at 08:28:32:
..I wish I had time and money for more!

Exactly. I spend most of my time either working or raising my kids, but still make time for a couple of mostly-neglected hobbies.

I keep a couple of large fish tanks

I do the usual man-of-the-house fix up work, keep a small garden and like to fix up motorcycles

I make wine. Which is an excellent hobby for the procrastinator because it doesn't hurt anything to let it sit... oh, what a shame, too much fermentation!  Cheesy

I made wine for a while too. My grandfather (Italian) used to make about 250 gallons every year, and gave most of it away. He taught me how.
But when you have 90- 100 bottles in the basement you tend to pop a cork out too frequently. I was drinking a bottle a day for a while 'till I came to my senses (sobered up). Now I limit myself to a glass a day, most days. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #31 - 06/03/12 at 11:49:56

Serowbot wrote on 06/03/12 at 10:28:36:
Guitar, movies, cooking, eating, drinking, Gran Prix Legends racing sim,  and stalking Scarlett Johansson.....
Huh...

How could I have forgotten to add eating to my list!? How's that stalking part working out for ya?  Roll Eyes

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #32 - 06/03/12 at 11:51:02

Midnightrider wrote on 06/03/12 at 10:38:12:
RC Cars, Helicopters and Airplanes. Its a full time job repairing my UhOh's. My son is a very talented driver, we're on a race track about every weekend.

That sound very cool! Any pix of your son?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #33 - 06/03/12 at 11:52:57

Doug wrote on 06/03/12 at 10:58:13:
Mixed Martial Arts, Cooking, Chemistry, Mechanics, Training...

I thought I read "Mixed Marital Arts"!  Grin

Another fitness dude! And certain types of chemistry can be quite fascinating!  Shocked

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #34 - 06/03/12 at 11:59:11

arteacher wrote on 06/03/12 at 11:18:59:
I am 62 and can still hear 14000 cycles on a good day. Before I dropped the dime on the speakers I have now I asked on an audio forum if they were worth my while at my age and quality of hearing. Good speakers do a lot more than reproduce the frequency extremes, I was told. They reproduce better ambiance, image better, have better dynamics etc., etc.
So I bought 'em and they did sound a lot better even though I could not hear the highs that my previous speakers did not have.
The best tweak I ever did was to put dedicated power circuits, with isolated grounds, to the components, eliminating all the noise on the household power supply.
Dead quiet background now- no hiss at max volume at all.
As far as breeding stuff in an aquarium, I left a 35 gal alone after the last fish died- for 5 years now. It grew some interesting stuff before the water evaporated to the point that the remainder was so "hard" that nothing would grow. Grin One of these days I am going to start it back up and put some "easy care" fish in it to inspire my grandson, who has shown an interest in fish. He has two small tanks, one with a beta, and another with some platies. He is 6.
Oh.... and you are always an audiophile on a budget unless you are filthy rich. Grin
In th early '70's I priced out the most expensive system you could buy.
It was $65,000. Now you can spend that on a couple of cartridges for your $200,000 turntable. Shocked

I get the imaging thing. I had a set of Vandersteen"s that imaged very well. The advent of family and downsizing personal living space had me make some changes back then. Then we went through the surround sound thing. I have an empty house (well, I still have my cat) and am back to 2 channels. My current equipment won't allow me to appreciate the installation of dedicated circuits. I do still use my sorbathane feet under my DVD/CD player.

That's awesome about your grandson! I think fish are a great way to learn many of life's important lessons.

Turntable? I have one in my microwave.  Grin

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #35 - 06/03/12 at 14:23:03

Greg wrote on 06/03/12 at 11:59:11:
arteacher wrote on 06/03/12 at 11:18:59:
I am 62 and can still hear 14000 cycles on a good day. Before I dropped the dime on the speakers I have now I asked on an audio forum if they were worth my while at my age and quality of hearing. Good speakers do a lot more than reproduce the frequency extremes, I was told. They reproduce better ambiance, image better, have better dynamics etc., etc.
So I bought 'em and they did sound a lot better even though I could not hear the highs that my previous speakers did not have.
The best tweak I ever did was to put dedicated power circuits, with isolated grounds, to the components, eliminating all the noise on the household power supply.
Dead quiet background now- no hiss at max volume at all.
As far as breeding stuff in an aquarium, I left a 35 gal alone after the last fish died- for 5 years now. It grew some interesting stuff before the water evaporated to the point that the remainder was so "hard" that nothing would grow. Grin One of these days I am going to start it back up and put some "easy care" fish in it to inspire my grandson, who has shown an interest in fish. He has two small tanks, one with a beta, and another with some platies. He is 6.
Oh.... and you are always an audiophile on a budget unless you are filthy rich. Grin
In th early '70's I priced out the most expensive system you could buy.
It was $65,000. Now you can spend that on a couple of cartridges for your $200,000 turntable. Shocked

I get the imaging thing. I had a set of Vandersteen"s that imaged very well. The advent of family and downsizing personal living space had me make some changes back then. Then we went through the surround sound thing. I have an empty house (well, I still have my cat) and am back to 2 channels. My current equipment won't allow me to appreciate the installation of dedicated circuits. I do still use my sorbathane feet under my DVD/CD player.

That's awesome about your grandson! I think fish are a great way to learn many of life's important lessons.

Turntable? I have one in my microwave.  Grin

I went whole hog. When I finished the basement I built a dedicated listening room to the Golden Rule proportion, to eliminate standing waves., with the dedicated circuits. A 20 amp for the amp (pun intended), one for the CD player, and one for the turntables, pre-amp, and tuner. I have acoustic treatments all over the place, double dry-walled walls, which are lagged to the concrete walls where I could, an acoustically designed ceiling, lead filled racks, air suspension platforms for the CD player and the better of the two turntables, a three stage isolation stand for the amp, home made interconnects for some of the stuff, (the ones from the pre-amp to the amp cost $800 in materials alone, using the best wire I could find at the time). It took me nearly 40 years to get it as good as it can be, with many trade ups and experiments, and modifications. Waiting for someone to trade in something I couldn't afford new. For a while I designed and built my own speakers, but I was never happy with them. It is to the point now that I would have to spend a LOT of money to get a little improvement, so I guess I'm done.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #36 - 06/03/12 at 14:33:29

arteacher wrote on 06/03/12 at 14:23:03:
I went whole hog. When I finished the basement I built a dedicated listening room to the Golden Rule proportion, to eliminate standing waves., with the dedicated circuits. A 20 amp for the amp (pun intended), one for the CD player, and one for the turntables, pre-amp, and tuner. I have acoustic treatments all over the place, double dry-walled walls, which are lagged to the concrete walls where I could, an acoustically designed ceiling, lead filled racks, air suspension platforms for the CD player and the better of the two turntables, a three stage isolation stand for the amp, home made interconnects for some of the stuff, (the ones from the pre-amp to the amp cost $800 in materials alone, using the best wire I could find at the time). It took me nearly 40 years to get it as good as it can be, with many trade ups and experiments, and modifications. Waiting for someone to trade in something I couldn't afford new. For a while I designed and built my own speakers, but I was never happy with them. It is to the point now that I would have to spend a LOT of money to get a little improvement, so I guess I'm done.

Sounds like an impressive man cave! I'll bet rap and hip-hop sound great!  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Yes, it sure sounds like you have reached the point of diminishing returns. For the money of a little improvement, you could have a whole herd of Savages!  Smiley

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Sam7.62

It made better sense
in my head...

Tampa, Fla
Reply #37 - 06/03/12 at 15:20:04

Camping, Container gardening, Old timey stuff..

'08 S40 Jardine,Debadged,Backoff/XP brake flasher deal
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #38 - 06/03/12 at 16:46:16

I play guitar, and I like fishing, bowling and scrollsawing.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #39 - 06/03/12 at 17:15:11

Sounds like an impressive man cave! I'll bet rap and hip-hop sound great!

They will never be played on MY stereo!!!! Angry

IP Logged
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Reply #40 - 06/03/12 at 18:53:37

Fly fishing and trying to convince my girlfriend I don't fish too much.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #41 - 06/03/12 at 18:55:59

I enjoy going to the gym as well as doing Zumba..
Working in my flowers.
Of course riding my bike.. That really puts a smile on
my face..
Love to sing and has a nice Karaoke system set up in
my sewing room. Oh yea the dogs are my (howling) backup
singers..
Making quilts as time allows. Going 2nd hand store shopping.
I love good bargains..

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #42 - 06/03/12 at 19:03:07

Revising my original post here (Bicycling, sailing, geology, astronomy, photography).

To add: reading, traveling, American history, and cats..lots and lots of cats! Cheesy

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #43 - 06/03/12 at 19:08:25

OH darn how could I forget my cats...
I love my 3 cats as well and have to
include the chickens and rooster..
Never a dull moment here..  Wink

IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #44 - 06/03/12 at 19:34:02

Greg wrote on 06/03/12 at 11:52:57:
I thought I read "Mixed Marital Arts"!  Grin

Another fitness dude! And certain types of chemistry can be quite fascinating!  Shocked

*laughs*  Yeah dude, I'm a pro at wedding people of different ethnicity.
I am most interested in pharmaceuticals as far as chemistry is concerned. There are a lot of people out there that don't know the medical terms for most of the drugs they get. let alone what they do for/to the body... not gonna be another statistic for liver failure due to tylenol overdose. There are too many new drugs to risk being ignorant. lol

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:27:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hobbies?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.