Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So I went to remove my belt cover... (Read 108 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
So I went to remove my belt cover...
06/02/12 at 17:26:56

And I find 2 Philips head screws under the pulley cover. Of course they won't budge. I went out and got an impact screwdriver. It is too dark to work on it now. Hopefully that will cure the issues!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: So I went to remove my belt cover...
Reply #1 - 06/03/12 at 19:57:19

Many of us tend to replace philips screws with allen screws as w encounter them.  I prefer stainless allen screws.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/03/12 at 22:05:10

Savage_Rob wrote on 06/03/12 at 19:57:19:
Many of us tend to replace philips screws with allen screws as w encounter them.  I prefer stainless allen screws.

That's what I do every chance I get.

Shoot some penetrating "earl" on them thar screws and add some power to get them started.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/03/12 at 22:32:08

& those really arent a #2 Phillips. Look closely when you put the driver in the screw,Youll see that the slots are nowhere near filled, But, if youll grind the tip of that driver flat( Take your time,, if you go too far you cant fix that,), itll work,, & get one of those $5.00 impacts. Bikers always have one of those,,, Now I know why,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 05:15:23

Great suggestion changing the screws! Definitely on my list.

They are closer to a #3 Phillips. I bought a $6 impact screwdriver (must be better than yours, huh?  Roll Eyes ) and used the #3 bit and one worked easily but the other I had to beat the crap out of it. I just pretended it was my ex-wife and it also worked in the end.  Grin Shocked Huh

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/04/12 at 06:22:16

Which end of your ex?

I had to use an impact as well. Infact, I had already had it off once myself, and at the stealership to replace the belt and I still had to use it to get it off this time.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/04/12 at 08:51:48

Antisieze is a handy thing. Steel & aluminum get sticky. It wont make the bolts get loose, but it will keep them reasonable to deal with,
I used some on  mine about 6 years ago, & theres still enough on them to be able to get some on my fingers , cant really even see it, its such a thin film, but its still there, keeping them from getting sticky.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:20:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › So I went to remove my belt cover...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.