Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1996 - starts but dies on any throttle (Read 96 times)
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
1996 - starts but dies on any throttle
06/02/12 at 15:08:48

1996 Savage - sat for 1 and half years (mol).

Charged up battery.  Added fuel 'cleaner'.  Once battery was good, it starts right up but dies with any throttle.  

Carb is stock - no changes to jets.

Took off carb and cleaned it, checked everything and besides looking old, seems to be fine as far as I can tell (looks about the same as last time I cleaned it ).

Added Raptor petcock and closed off vacuum port on carb.  Checked air filter - replace just in case.  No difference, still starts and idles fine, but dies with any throttle.  Left door off of air filter to insure it's getting air, no difference.

Any suggestions?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 1996 - starts but dies on any throttle
Reply #1 - 06/02/12 at 15:20:38

Plugged jets or passages in the carb,.. or slide is stuck...
You gonna' have to clean again... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 06/02/12 at 15:31:48

I agree with Serowbot, but first try a new spark plug. I have seen on mowers the ocassional plug that wouldn't fire under compression. Same symptoms.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #3 - 06/02/12 at 15:45:53

When I first got my '96, the guy who had it last did a crap job on the spark plug gap setting. Def check that plug out like Boofer says! I replaced mine and it made a big difference, and I had a similar problem like you.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #4 - 06/02/12 at 18:21:00

it's the carb...pulled the one off my other 96 savage... it did get rid of the issue of dying when hitting the throttle...but it gave a different problem (float seems to be stuck, and smacking the heck out of it didn't un-stuck the float), now to just clean up the gas smell, and fix both carbs.  Thanks for the help!

Is there a rebuild kit for the carburetors?  Or a better replacement carburetor?

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 06/02/12 at 19:43:13

Most carbs have different "circuits"; i.e., an idle circuit, and main jet circuit.   For cleaning, try to find a tiny copper wire (a strand from a stranded wire type works good), and make sure you can send the wire thru the passages.   You can also spin it a little as you push it thru to help remove old built up gum from the passage along with using a spray type cleaner.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/03/12 at 08:25:38

Be careful with those spray cans, Ventilation is important, & eye protection is too. Im planning on getting a face shield, cuz the wife says she wants to try the weed eater & I know how that thing throws junk, Ive had grass in my face & dont like it, Anyway, If shes gonna run it, I want her protected, & theyre not expensive, so, you can protect your eyes & your whole face from that crap.
If youre young & tough & stuff like chemical exposure doesnt bother you, protect yourself from it as vigorously as if it Would hurt you right now, B/C exposures add up & one day, if you get exposed to enough things that are harmful, they will take their toll.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 06/03/12 at 08:38:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/03/12 at 08:25:38:
Ive had grass in my face & dont like it

As I recall, I didn't mind it so much, but that was long ago back in college

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
thehoghunter
2004 No Login

Chop Suey

Tampa
Reply #8 - 06/10/12 at 18:23:46

Thanks again to all of you...cleaned up one of the carbs and got it working on the wife's LS650 - went for a ride to watch the sunset and she was very happy.   Grin

Now to find the time to do the other...

I went looking for a 'rebuild' kit but didn't really have what I expected so will have to find the part numbers to order pieces (just in case I need them someday).

Only rebuild kit I could find: http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/CARBURETOR_REPAIR_KIT_SUZUKI__P15950C696.cfm

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 07:18:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1996 - starts but dies on any throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.