Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally feels completed! (Read 164 times)
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finally feels completed!
06/02/12 at 15:04:23

After over a year (I've  never worked on anything mechanical in my life.. or paint really) I've finally finished getting my old mans old savage running after it set for YEARS.
1997 w/ 57xx miles Smiley

The finished
(ignore the right side of the tank.. the entire tank needs a new paint job because repairing a fuel stain went terribly terribly wrong lol)

The BEFORE.... Almost everything NOT on the savage in these pictures was dented, rusted, or just FUBAR.. Most of the time spent working on the savage was spent searching for reasonably conditioned parts.
The seat.. even though we managed to find one in perfect condition.. started tearing and cracked a week after buying it >.<

So... I feel like for the most part I have finished the savage Smiley
Still have a few paint spots that need repairing (should have saved painting for LAST)
Seat needs to be replaced.
Windshield... 2 days old... still not sure how I feel about it (made a massive difference on the high way though.)

Now that it's running.. time to take it all apart and get the cam tensioner w/e replaced...
Sounds like a fun weekend.. or month long.. project lol.

After that... I think I'll take it in a bobber direction Smiley I'd do Ryca if I had the time or the stamina to use it (mostly) as a daily driver lol.

Just wanted to say thanks to EVERYONE who helped with my NUMEROUS mechanical problems on this joy of a nightmare motorcycle lol Cheesy

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Finally feels completed!
Reply #1 - 06/02/12 at 15:10:08

It's nice,... but trust me,.. it ain't finished... It's never finished... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 06/02/12 at 17:58:16

Like Serow says it's never finished. BTW I wouldn't drive it at night painted like that unless I put some reflectors on it- no one will see you. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/02/12 at 20:01:27

Finished?   FINISHED...   as in completed?   That is a very cool wide-glide thang you got going on there tho

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 11:16:52

Oh yes.
Definitely not finished.. I just saw this lol
http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/RR1/index.html

I didn't even know Ryca was going to do bobber kits.. that one looks REALLY good too.

Also... I've only had the windshield for a few days now but at about 70mph the handlebar vibration is a little unbearable... That is cause by the windshield right??  Anyone know a good set of grips that help with the vibration?

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 06/04/12 at 13:14:11

The stock handlebars in my 2009 have weights in the ends.   If you add something similar (lead or ???) it will help greatly with vibration, but it must be attached solid to the handlebar inside.   In fact, I'm thinking of upgrading to a wider drag bar with significantly more weight in the ends.   The theory being, it takes much more force to vibrate something heavy than it does something light.

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/04/12 at 13:35:23

Ill give that a shot when I get off work, thanks, at 65 the handlebars are solid as a rock.. 70 is eh.. 75 feels like my hands are being tazed or something lol

Considering putting a deposit down on one of Rycas new bikes.. Just can't decide which I like most.. the bobber looks to be most comfortable for longer rides though.. but the 2-seat scrambler has sort of a.. classy.. OLLLLLD school look to it lol. (the bobbers also surprisingly cheaper than the rest though)

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 06/04/12 at 15:25:41

Even with the weights, my stock bars are like that; in other words, I can tolerate up to about 70.   After that it gets pretty buzzy.  It's ok for a short commute, but wears on you during a longer ride.   I added a throttle lock which helps because I can take my hand off the handlebar and shake it out.   There's also a hi-tech solution called Vibranators (sounds like an adult book store item), that use counter vibration - kinda like noise cancelling.

http://www.vibranator.com/

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/04/12 at 16:14:13

I filled my bars with BB's and epoxied the ends to seal 'em in.  Lead shot had been suggested but BB's were cheaper and lighter. At the time I was hoping they weren't too light to do the job.  It works very well for me.  I think it was WD who suggested the lead shot but I'm not positive.  That said, he's eligible for the credit but not the blame.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #9 - 06/04/12 at 18:39:04

lead shot in the bars is sweet, did that on my dual sport I ride daily.

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 06/04/12 at 19:02:24

Savage_Rob wrote on 06/04/12 at 16:14:13:
I filled my bars with BB's and epoxied the ends to seal 'em in.  Lead shot had been suggested but BB's were cheaper and lighter. At the time I was hoping they weren't too light to do the job.  It works very well for me.  I think it was WD who suggested the lead shot but I'm not positive.  That said, he's eligible for the credit but not the blame.

How did you get the BB's past the welded in stock weights?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:38:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally feels completed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.