Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is my Cam Chain Tensioner on the way out? (Read 96 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Is my Cam Chain Tensioner on the way out?
06/02/12 at 02:36:53

I'm about 1,000 miles out from an oil change and a little over 4,000 since the valves have been adjusted. The bike has mileage of 12,XXX, in the mid 12s.

It seems to be making a bit more mechanical noise than usual. My question is whether its just valves or the glass jaw cam tensioner crapping the bed. If it's not the tensioner I'm likely to wait 1,000 miles before taking action and opening her up to do the inspection. However, if the noise seems to the trained ears here to be the cam tensioner I'm likely garaging her. I ask because I have about a 300 mile trip planned this weekend.

The bike isn't making a lot of sound, I just feel as if I'm hearing more than what I used to so it caught my attention. Here is a sound clip. Not the best quality as it was at night recorded with my cell phone. Input would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0zEhJdQUAA&feature=youtu.be

Verdict?

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Re: Is my Cam Chain Tensioner on the way out?
Reply #1 - 06/02/12 at 02:47:29

For me, it sounds like the cam chain tensioner really has come out.
Don't do anything than that what HAS to be done. Look for it and do not bother about it's oil-change time or not. Forget about the 300 mile trip as long you would do it with that bike.

Regards, Lou

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/02/12 at 08:39:16

can't tell, only one part caught my ear, but because you can't see anything don't know what you're looking at.

feel by the top rear of the oil filter cover for a tapping

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/02/12 at 08:43:17

As you say, it's pretty hard to diagnose anything from a cell phone recording (lol), but to me it sounds OK, or as OK as I can make out.   Even listening directly, you have to remember that you have normal tappet noise in there.   I would think that with only 12k on the motor, it should be OK unless there was an initial factory fault somewhere.   In any case, don't allow "cam chain paranoia" make things seem worse than they really are.   I've done that on bikes I have owned.

I've read of some cam chain issues in here, but it seems that if it was a such a problem Zuk would have the adjuster more conveniently accessible?   And keep in mind this bike has been manufactured for nearly 20 years now.   Usually, if you build a model for that long, you've worked most of the kinks out with incremental improvements (note, I say "usually" - lol; if you've ever owned a Harley then... well, let's not go there).

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 06/02/12 at 09:12:52

Quote:
feel by the top rear of the oil filter cover for a tapping

Thanks for the advice Verslagen, I did some pretty thorough sifting through the boards last night but must have over looked this as another means to check for a problem.

Quote:
As you say, it's pretty hard to diagnose anything from a cell phone recording (lol), but to me it sounds OK, or as OK as I can make out.   Even listening directly, you have to remember that you have normal tappet noise in there.   I would think that with only 12k on the motor, it should be OK unless there was an initial factory fault somewhere.   In any case, don't allow "cam chain paranoia" make things seem worse than they really are.   I've done that on bikes I have owned.

...so you saw my paranoia through my veil eh?  Grin I certainly feel reluctant about the need to open her up and check just yet. If you let every negative variable wear on your mind you could never enjoy riding. But I also don't want to take a bike on the road that should be downed for maintenance.

Quote:
And keep in mind this bike has been manufactured for nearly 20 years now.   Usually, if you build a model for that long, you've worked most of the kinks out with incremental improvements (note, I say "usually" - lol; if you've ever owned a Harley then... well, let's not go there).

I would be taking my HD and set the Savage aside for the inspection had the crank case breather bolt not snapped off when re-installing the air cleaner.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:33:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is my Cam Chain Tensioner on the way out?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.