Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What usually goes bad on the transmission? (Read 351 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: What usually goes bad on the transmission?
Reply #15 - 06/02/12 at 14:53:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/02/12 at 05:45:35:
Y Rowboat has one. Hey, dude, chime in, whats the overall change in RPM & performance? I know youre not dissatisfied,

With oversize rear tire 140/90-15 (4%) plus 25 tooth pulley ((8%)...  
I'm runnin' 12% over geared total...
5th gear will pull over 50mph...  and I like that... 60mph is a nice lazy lope...
... but,.. I would prefer the 1 through 4 to be stock...
To me,.. they are now a bit too tall...  I find myself winding out each gear a little higher than I used to, in order to hit the powerband of the next gear...
... but,.. I'm so used the old gearing (6 yrs)...  If I had just bought the bike this way originally, I'm not sure if it would be bothersome...
It's a fun change to try though...

I'm also getting a belt whine I didn't have before.... been foolin' with that some... Been messin' with belt alignment, and tension.. and tried a spacer behind the pulley...
Belt is already angled, and smoothed... pulley seems to run very true...
I'm beginning to wonder if the belt sets a memory to the curve angle as it breaks in...

Anyway... 5th gearing is great... but would be better with 1 through 4 stock...
Wink... Pardon my highjack...

PS.. If you want to play with gear/tire ratio's... see here...
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #16 - 06/02/12 at 22:07:21

Quote:
... Pardon my highjack...

Totally fine! Love this gearing info! =D

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #17 - 06/03/12 at 06:53:03

What's gone bad on my transmission are the splines on the main (output) shaft where they mate with the splines on the drive pulley. Previous owner pulled the engine to fix the head cap leak, and removed the drive pulley. Apparently did not torque it properly (95 ft-lb) on re-install. Even though splined lock washer was in place properly, the pulley's retaining nut backed off. Result was that the pulley splines were destroyed and the shaft splines were damaged. Over 7K more miles the shaft splines are now completely gone. It took three breakdown failures for the splines to wear away entirely. First time repair was new pulley and Loctite 660, and second time MIG welding to builld up splines and to weld pulley to shaft. Each repair lasted only about 4K miles.

Morale of story: As Cylmers states, every 4000 miles check the drive pulleys for tightness. Pull the front pulley cover, remove the splined lock washer and retaining nut, inspect front pulley splines and replace the pulley if there's any play at all, replace splined lock washer, put a torque wrench on the pulley retaining nut and tighten to the correct torque. Replacing transmission output shaft is expensive!

If you buy a used bike with more than 4000 miles on it as I did, do the check right away!

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #18 - 06/06/12 at 18:09:06

Oh gosh X_X That sounds terrible.... duly noted.

Well, finally got that cam chain adjuster thing looked at. 20mm. Looks like the fun as begun.... =/

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:37:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What usually goes bad on the transmission?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.