Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What usually goes bad on the transmission? (Read 351 times)
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
What usually goes bad on the transmission?
05/31/12 at 21:45:37

Has anyway had any experience with degraded transmission performance?

You'll first have to forgive me as a relatively new rider and owner, but I'll do my best to try and make sense. Anyway...

Is there any common problems I should be on the lookout for the transmission? My 96' Savage has about 19,000 miles on it. I bought it used last year and have but about 1,500 on it myself. But I've always felt that the transmission may be a little weird on it. Mainly, I find myself usually having to double tap it into 5th. Sometimes it goes straight it, but usually not. I generally try to shift to 5th at about 45mph. Usually what ends up happening is the first tap will make it go about halfway in, and then the second or third time I can really feel the shift lever move all the way back. It never really makes a solid sound to confirm it either.

When shifting down from 5th to 4th, I sometimes have to double tap it as well like its getting caught up on something.

3rd gear always feels nice any direction.

1st to 2nd seems loose and grindy, but maybe I should just get into a habit of shifting at a lower speed there. And when going from 2nd to 1st, I'll get a lot of winding noise with the clutch pulled in and coasting- especially at higher speeds (like downshifting all the way coming up to a red light or stop sign and coasting in).

Still runs so that's a good thing I guess haha! =) But was just hoping maybe someone had some input on this. Long road trip planned for July, don't want to get stuck out who the heck knows where lol.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: What usually goes bad on the transmission?
Reply #1 - 05/31/12 at 22:26:44

Generally, bulletproof...
Check that the shift level is adjusted to your foot... and that the connecting rod isn't bent...

Problems are usually related to that area,.. or, learning curve...

It is a bit clunky into first... I think Jap engineers leave it that way to make it more Harley like...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/31/12 at 23:18:32

My 96' Savage has about 19,000 miles on it.

If it hasnt had a cam chain, its time to look in at it. & if that dude goes, it usually wrecks the engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #3 - 06/01/12 at 00:39:00

Thanks Serowbot, I'll look into that rod business soon to cover all options. =)

justin_o_guy2, as far as I know, nothing has been done with the cam. And actually today, I noticed a small ticking sound I didn't recall before (been off the bike the last few weeks due to hospital drama). Reading through lots of posts here, I cam across the cam threads, and the whole tension thing. Is it true running low on oil can accelerate this problem? I think I may have been running a bit low as of late (wasn't expecting to add as much oil as I did today) =/ At any rate, that led me to the "VerSlavy" mod. Kind'a thinking that may be a good thing to get done right about now. And heck, with a week or so turn around on that, that would give me plenty of time to patch together an HID headlamp kit and write up another How-To! A possible win-win I'd say XD

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/01/12 at 06:27:49

Is it true running low on oil can accelerate this problem?

Low oil accelerates every problem I can think of on the inside of an engine.

Man, you really otta park that thing till you know what shape the tensioner is in. If it comes out, youre a pedestrian.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #5 - 06/01/12 at 14:51:41

I think I'm gonna take your advice up on that. Worst part right now is that it's raining just about every day where I am, and I have no garage. Gonna talk to my roommates and hope they don't mind it being parked inside the apartment for a week or so while I get the parts swapped out. Lol, who am I kidding, they don't have a choice Wink

MPGs please
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 06/01/12 at 17:06:06

Unlike cars, motorcycle transmissions don't employ synchromesh, per se.   Instead, they use a concept based on gear dogs, which are robust protruding steel nodes attached to the sides of individual gears.   When shifting, these dogs "mesh" with each other ensuring the gears are spinning at the same speed before meshing their teeth.   This is why your transmission doesn't grind when shifting.   However, the shift process is rather violent when compared to smoother car transmissions because the dogs kinda slam into each other producing the "kerclunk" sound you hear.   Those times when the shift cannot complete is because the dogs have lined up in such a way that they are pushing against each other and can't mesh.   Simply easing up on the pressure (on the shifter) for a fraction of a second and re-trying will make the dogs spin slightly and give another opportunity to engage.

One of the things I am disappointed about on my 2009 is the 5th gear ratio.   Instead of increasing the ratio and making it a "hiway gear" like an overdrive, Suzuki chose to make 5th very close ratio to 4th. This makes any 5th gear benefit almost nil.  Here are my ratio's...

1st:   2.333
2nd:  1.578
3rd:  1.142
4th:   0.956
5th:   0.884

The percentage of gear ratio increase from 4th to 5th is only 8%.   I don't know about older models (I think early ones were only 4 speeds), but on the newer bikes shifting between 4th and 5th is scarcely noticeable.   To translate, if you're turning 4000 RPM in 4th and shift to 5th, you are only going to drop 320 RPM.  It would be interesting to see the torque and HP curves to see what advantages might be gained.

« Last Edit: 06/02/12 at 07:30:26 by 360k+ »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/01/12 at 17:34:04

This is most likely due to that the Savage is actually not supposed to be a highway cruiser. You can use it there, but the concept was more about being a commuter bike.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 06/01/12 at 20:15:25

ralfyguy wrote on 06/01/12 at 17:34:04:
This is most likely due to that the Savage is actually not supposed to be a highway cruiser. You can use it there, but the concept was more about being a commuter bike.

I know, but since 5th is only marginally useful it would have been nice if Zuk would have considered making it a high HIGH gear, for lower RPM and better gas mileage.   It would be intended for flat terrain cruising, like interstates.   If you start to go uphill, no biggie, just downshift to 4th.   BMW did this on some of their models going from 5 to 6 speed trannys.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #9 - 06/01/12 at 21:49:36

Thanks for that really great explanation 360+; starting to feel a bit better about things =)

Yeah, I def agree on that whole deal about 5th not giving much more. I don't suppose anyone has ever tried a gear swap of any kind? I really have no idea if that is possible, so just ignore me for being lolz if so. I, however, AM planning on trying that Kawasaki front pulley upgrade to get a more beneficial gearing. Have it sitting in a box, just waiting around to get milled down. Dang I really need to find a friend soon! haha! XD

Moving the bike indoors Sunday to prep the tear open!

MPGs please
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/02/12 at 04:46:46

Why not get the parts first,,limit the Indoor Parking time.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 06/02/12 at 04:57:38

I don't think about it much, but I have learned when shifting up, to hold upward pressure on the gearshift untill I dump the clutch. Right or wrong, some times it won't complete the shift till the clutch gets dumped. I concider almost any issue w/ the tranny to be normal.

The 5th gear ratio ??
IMO, this motorcycle doesn't have enuff hp to pull a taller gear.
It wouldn't make any sense to have a taller 5th gear if you're going to ride in 4th nearly all the time. At 50-60 mph, flat road, no headwind, it could use a taller 5th gear. I myself am in 4th gear 90% of the time as it is.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 06/02/12 at 05:07:04

I had a GR 650 Suzuki that turned 4700 rpm in high at 60 mph,Change the sprockets to turn 3700 rpm at 60 mph,Loved it never had a problem in 28000 miles being geared 1000 less than stock.Best mpg on at trip 68.Yes as for as I'm concerned Suzuki really screwed up on the gearing.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/02/12 at 05:45:35

Yep,, pretty much wasted the space in the tranny with that 5th gear ratio. It should be a higher gear, high enough that it wouldnt pull a good hill or a long grade w/o a downshift, Otta be able to lope it down the road at 70 with far fewer RPM happening. Take some Scientific explorations to determine just how tall that gear could be, but an 8% difference between 4th & 5th? KInda silly, IMO. Weve seen gearing changes around here. Rowboat has one. Hey, dude, chime in, whats the overall change in RPM & performance? I know youre not dissatisfied,

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #14 - 06/02/12 at 14:22:56

Definitely gonna try some of this up shifting input about "holding up" next time I get on. Sounds like it could be a real winner! =D

Quote:
Best mpg on at trip 68

Wow. DO WANT. Best mpg I've been able to get so far was 43. Granted, I haven't done too many calculations, and I've been making a lot of changes to the bike in between fill ups, so I don't think its super accurate to call it anything yet. My goal is to hit that wonderful sounding 50mpg mark. Def hope to get back out of the the high 30's real soon. X_X

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:14:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What usually goes bad on the transmission?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.