Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nothings changed, the 52 year old Savage. (Read 217 times)
nuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nothings changed, the 52 year old Savage.
05/31/12 at 19:21:04

You guys have been soo helpful with this forum. I have posted about breaking in a 2012 for my daughter. So I am gentle to it, except for big throttle up hills to build pressure to seat the rings. This feels like the engine in my previous life BSA round barrel 441 Victor. I want to lose 60 pounds, 40 years,  climb on the tank and surprize Mustangs on 4th Avenue and 16th St in Yuma.  A thumper is a different motorcycle. When I can not handle my 85 BMW K100RT in the furture I will get my own late model LS650, do some slight breathing mods and have a blast on day trips.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Nothings changed, the 52 year old Savage.
Reply #1 - 05/31/12 at 20:02:27

That's great to hear!
I actually chose the Savage for that very reason; it's got a really vintage feel about it. Just for fun, check out my Vintage Roadster build; the build thread is in my signature line, just click there. I think you might like it!
Cheers!

IP Logged
nuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/31/12 at 20:15:17

Your roadster project looks early British, Before I had the BSA I had a Honda 305 Scrambler, but I road with a fellow that had a Velocette. Look that one up in Google Images for style. A 500 thumper complete with Amal leaks and Lucas lights out.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/31/12 at 20:34:15

Oh yes... I love the old Velocettes!
One of the things that I like about the Savage is that the Exhaust pipe looks to me like it was copied straight from an old Norton Manx...

If it ever gets completed, I hope my roadster will have some of that old flavor, but with modern Japanese reliability!!  Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 06/01/12 at 04:55:20

nuster wrote on 05/31/12 at 19:21:04:
You guys have been soo helpful with this forum. I have posted about breaking in a 2012 for my daughter. So I am gentle to it, except for big throttle up hills to build pressure to seat the rings. This feels like the engine in my previous life BSA round barrel 441 Victor. I want to lose 60 pounds, 40 years,  climb on the tank and surprize Mustangs on 4th Avenue and 16th St in Yuma.  A thumper is a different motorcycle. When I can not handle my 85 BMW K100RT in the furture I will get my own late model LS650, do some slight breathing mods and have a blast on day trips.

Yep, nothing quite like a good running big single.  They provide the most fun for the buck on the road.  My single riding life started with a '56 BSA Goldstar that I bought in '69.  Had to sell it in the early '90's during hard time to make a house payment.  I sure do miss it.  It was built as a flat track racer and when you cranked the throttle and the Amal GP opened up it was a real effort just to hang on to the grips.
It was a freaking animal...sure did get the heart pumping !   Cool

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/02/12 at 07:19:43

WOW!!
If you've got any pictures of that old Goldstar, I'd love to see them.
I've got a friend here in town who bought a race-built Goldstar on Ebay some years ago, and he's had a love/hate relationship wit it ever since. He loves it, but it really isn't meant for the street, and so he's had a hard time keeping it tuned and roadworthy. Gorgeous machine just the same. I'll have to look for pictures of it later...

IP Logged
surtees
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

los angeles
Reply #6 - 06/06/12 at 22:46:17

This thread made me recall my first single - '52 AJS bought in late 60s and finally sold in 2000 - some great years of riding interspersed with many others just keeping me company in the garage with one problem or another.
Teabowl13 I really like your build and my S40 is patiently waiting its turn to transform - would like to put on an xs750 tank and set up like the Norton - but have been too distracted this past year restoring and now blasting around on a '75 BMW R90/6 to buckle down and get back to the savage... there is nothing like a well running thumper for animal energy

IP Logged
nuster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/07/12 at 03:00:37

Great AJS, if it was like my 50's Triumph it had leather seals everywhere and you popped a few dozen small pieces of cork in and out of the clutch friction plates for a rebuild. Looked like a bag of erasers. But the totally seperate transmission eased working on it. But I do not want to go back. The good old days where only good then. LOL

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/07/12 at 03:13:46

Interesting, I brought brand new mine because I liked the look and above all it was cheap. I'm 62 and short legged, it's easier to back into my garage than the GN250 I had before. Seems to do most things a 62 year old would want. Seems to have all the performance I would want. Love the top gear torque, wish I had moretime to ride it. Chrome plating on the mirror arms is crap but that's about my only complaint so far in about 8200 miles

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/07/12 at 08:56:25

MAN ALIVE!! That AJS sure makes me smile. I'm way too young to remember anything like that, and I'm sure that as cool as it looks keeping it alive and on the road today would be a labor of love in itself, but WOW! she sure is a beauty.

I'll be very glad when mine gets on the road, but my buddy Jay, who's been doing a lot of the work has totally dropped the ball and left me hanging. He's two hours away from me and has the frame out to one guy, the front wheel out to another, and the seat off to someone else. I've got over a dozen text messages from him in the last two months that all say "Sorry Dude, I'll call you tomorrow..." But I'm still waiting for that call...
Maybe it'll be rideable by the Fall sometime?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:24:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Nothings changed, the 52 year old Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.