Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A little Q+A... (Read 205 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
A little Q+A...
05/31/12 at 11:03:56

Well, actually, I have the questions, hoping you guys have the answers. A little background: I've been licensed for 2 weeks, already put close to 300 miles on my Savage. I'm in love with the bike, for sure, and I've been reading about how you guys get past the bikes little annoyances, such as using the Sigma BC 800 to get an accurate mph reading and trip meter to better track how much gas is in the tank (i've just been filling up by looking into the tank and guesstimating when I need to fill). Some darn clever people on this forum!

Anyway, these are definitely newb questions, but I have gotten conflicting answers with them, so I'm gonna ask directly.

1. My tail lights have this habit of spinning around with the slightest touch. I'll get off the bike to see one or both of the tails are facing the ground. Is there a way to fix this? The plastic they are made out of seems really cheap and flimsy, so I am reluctant to start tightening things, I have a nasty habit of over torquing stuff  Sad

2. This question is probably due to my inexperience as a rider, but I have been reluctant to take the bike over 60-65 because, even in 5th, the bike seems to be revving high. Since there is no tach, I have no way to know if that high rev is normal or if I'm pushing her beyond her limits? The bike is bone stock.

3. My brakes like to squeak when Im at low speed, slowing for a stop. The brakes are fine, no issues with them (no pulsing, hesitating, or any indication that the brakes are bad). I bought the bike from a dealership so I could be sure I wouldnt be dealing with mechanical issues during my first learning season. Which parts need to be occasionally lubricated? I don't want to just start spraying the bike down in WD-40 and hoping I get where the squeaking is coming from.
I also know there are better lubricants out there than WD (that stuff is for door hinges and chair wheels, not mechanical).

Thanks in advance for the help! I do love this bike, enough to where I will be buying a neglected '87 off a friends and doing a complete rebuild. I will undoubtedly be using this site as a resource when that happens.  Grin

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Re: A little Q+A...
Reply #1 - 05/31/12 at 11:26:19

TheSavagePJ wrote on 05/31/12 at 11:03:56:
Thanks in advance for the help! I do love this bike, enough to where I will be buying a neglected '87 off a friends and doing a complete rebuild. I will undoubtedly be using this site as a resource when that happens.  Grin

That rocks dude! I have  an old '87 and she's a bunch of fun. Happy A great learning experience.

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #2 - 05/31/12 at 11:27:31

Welcome,

And you are right, some real wise cats and kittens on this site.

I will offer to you on the gas what was offered to me.

when you roll into 00's  (i.e. 5600) on the odometer, roll in and fill her up. That gives you 100 miles which works out about right. You will probably have some left, but at least it will give you a visual warning that it's getting close.

That has really helped me.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 05/31/12 at 12:12:22

ARGH!  Somehow the really eloquent answer I had typed has been deleted.  Angry  So I will try again.

I am far from the expert, but that has not stopped alot of others from speaking up.

1. By tail lights, I am guessing you mean the rear turn signals.  There should be a screw up under the bottom of them, through the rails to hold them in place.  if the screw is gone, there is your problem (I think one of mine vibrated out at some point), just replace it.  A drop of thread locker is not a bad idea (at least to me).  Or the plastic could be broken, duct tape can fix that quick, I JB welded a washer in the hole to fill in when the plastic right around the hole broke.

2. The bike does seem to rev high, but that is normal.   I have been a tad over 70, when I was passing, but I really don't care to go fast.  Others go plenty fast.  I don't think you are going to hurt her at any legal speeds.  Wink

3. I think the stock pads squeal, nothing wrong just the stuff they are made of.  You can change them or get used to the squealing.  If you have plenty of pad left, you are not hurting anything, except your ears.  Smiley

welcome aboard, ride her and enjoy.

And do what Bess said about filling up, works every time.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/31/12 at 12:17:25

1. tail lights shouldn't spin, sounds like you're missing a screw or two.

2. don't worry about it till you hit 100 in 5th of course.

3. stock brakes squeal, several fixes, all temporary till you replace them with aftermarket.  Washing with soap and water all ways worked for me.  And getting them hot enough to drive off all water works too.

buy "kevlar" brakes when you replace.

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 05/31/12 at 12:19:11

I've had mine to 80 with more left, but you wouldn't want to ride there.   Low speed vibration becomes "buzz" at higher speeds, and is murder on the hands.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/31/12 at 12:25:34

a luggage lock from the Dollar store... makes a good trip meter...
I just set it to mileage when I fill-up... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 05/31/12 at 13:43:54

The cheapest thing to do to keep track of fill-up time, is to buy a china marker, also known as a grease pencil and write the odometer mileage +100 down in the mirror. When your odometer starts getting close the mileage on the mirror, start looking for a gas station. Costs a whole quarter. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #8 - 05/31/12 at 16:08:35

I have had the spinning problem. Little blue loctite helps with that.

Speed limit here tops at 70 so I never get above 80. I tend to run seventy five most of the time.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #9 - 05/31/12 at 19:34:36

Congrats man!  I'm a newbie too, and these folks are definitely a friendly and helpful bunch.

OK, a word of caution...definitely do not put any WD-40 or any other kind of lubricant on your brakes.  If you do, they'll stop doing what they are supposed to do...brake.  Shocked   Mine seem to squeak a little first few stops of a ride, but then the squeal goes away.  Brake hard a couple times when you first start off, and I bet they'll squeak a lot less.

The front pads are easy to check for wear since they are exposed and visible.  The rear brake is not visible, but there's a wear marker you can use to check it...there are two lines on the left side of the rear hub at about 10am and noon....there's a line on the brake lever at the hub too...the line on the lever should point between the 10am and noon lines on the hub.  The noon position indicates no brake wear, and the 10am position is brake shoes almost gone.  Anything above 10am is good.  Smiley

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #10 - 05/31/12 at 20:18:40

Thanks for all the input everyone. Actually took the bike to the dealership today and they gave it the proper lubrication, so no more squeaking. Tried tightening the screw in my turn signal. Worked, but came loose again. I'm going to take the suggestion with the blue loctite, that stuff really does work wonders.

Just a couple more things I had questions about:

1. I use seafoam in my car (with amazing results) and I started using it in the Savage. 2 oz. per tank, didn't get any big smoke clouds, so I'm running on the assumption that the engine is still pretty clean (6700 on the clock). I've never used seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, but I've heard of guys who use it as that in vehicles with carburetors to counteract the 10% ethanol that is state mandated here in NY. Is this a good idea? I notice that theres a little less popping and afterfire. Would I get the same results with higher octane fuel? Considering the awesome mileage I get with this bike, spending another 40 cents for high test fuel won't kill me.

2. Is there any benefit of doing a chain conversion? I mean, aside from looks and all? I have no problems with the belt, just curious if theres a practical reason to do it.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 05/31/12 at 22:33:38

When you see Seafoam making smoke... it's the Seafoam making smoke...
That ain't nothin' burning clean from your engine...
Seafoam makes smoke if the concentration is strong enough...
It will do the same thing in a brand new spotless clean engine...

Pure snakeoil gimmickry....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/31/12 at 23:16:25

My backhoe was making a hard knocking sound, I got sick of it, I thot it was an injector issue, dumped some injector cleaner in,, nothing,, didnt help any, talked to the guy at the parts house, bought the seafoam, dumped it in & was able to see improvement in 5 minutes,
the 87 Ford that the PO didnt change the fuel filter on, it would barely pull away from a stop,, I dumped injector cleaner in it several times, but now, after I went to seafoam, it starts & idles instead of surging & dying,

Seafoam has made enough of a difference that Ill pay the $$$ for it,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 05/31/12 at 23:43:27

Com'on JOG...  Seafoam, is naptha (lighter fluid), rubbing alcohol, and mineral oil...
It's posted on the Seafoam site... (required by law)...

Same cr@p is in all the snake-oil gas additives...

It might be as helpful as any other additive, as an occasional routine maintenance cleaner... or not...
... but it ain't magic... it is only lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol, and mineral oil...  
Sold at $8 a bottle...
... and if it makes smoke,... it's burning... it ain't cleaning... and it will probably clog up some modern vehicle emission equipment...

I have tried it several times... before I learned what the ingredients were...  
If it ever works... I'll bet it was more coincidence than anything... or, you could have just used rubbing alcohol...

Sorry.. ranted on there...(must be male PMSing...better go eat a hamburger)...
Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/31/12 at 23:50:32

I spose I could mix it up myself, maybe it was coincidence, after using the other stuff,, all I know is the knock in the hoe is no longer makin me wince & the pickup doesnt surge & die,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:19:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A little Q+A...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.