New windy (Read 100 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
New windy
05/31/12 at 09:52:52

Put on my new windshield yesterday; a Slip Streamer Hellfire.   This windshield is partly fork mounted / partly handlebar, and presented a few problems because of the 2009 handlebar situation.   Stock 2009's use 5 inch risers and drag type 26 inch handlebars with a single bend ~5 inch pullback.   It's evident that the right side offers very limited room for adding ANY accessories as the throttle grip, switch panel, and brake reservoir consume nearly the whole bar on that side.   This constrains versatility and limits creative mounting options that you might otherwise have with a longer handlebar (yep, I considered doing that and still may).   The initial attempt placed the windshield about 4 inches above and 2 inches in front of the headlight; i.e., weird ugly gap!   After backing away and rethinking a bit, I was finally able to get the height down to headlight level, but then the bottom protruded forward several inches ahead of the headlight because the fork clamps pushed it in front of the plane of the forks.   I solved that issue by inverting the clamps which pulled the shield back behind the forks. This placed the bottom lip of the shield right above the headlight lens - just about right.   I still have some final "symmetry" adjustments to make, but you can see the overall application on the Savage.

This windshield replaced the "standard" Suzuki Boulevard unit that I had previously (shown in 2 pics here).   The Hellfire definitely offers better protection for face and hands, but doesn't look as nice as the Suzuki unit (IMO, of course) that compliments the Savage beautifully, and was fully fork mounted.   It also changes the audio you get of the motor and associated running gear, and I find myself listening more closely - lol.

If interested, here is a link to the pics I took of the Hellfire unit showing the windshield and mount hardware, as well as a few pics of the Suzuki windshield I removed (and putting up for sale, BTW).

http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj534/gary95329/Windshield/

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Re: New windy
Reply #1 - 05/31/12 at 11:10:55

Fine bike you have there! Love that windshield also, less the Hellfire logo. Just a question, do you still have the old Boulevard windshield? I assume it would be a direct fit onto an 2004 Savage. I'm WTB, if its for sale.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #2 - 05/31/12 at 11:22:41

I did the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago on my 07. I am glad you said what you did about the "audio".....holy cow I rode around for two days trying not to ride with one ear down. REALLY changes the sound coming out of this thumper.

I am about 6'1".......when I had the windshield higher, I had a terrible buffeting problem.  After I changed the mounts, and dropped it down to almost the identical spot you have, the buffeting subsided in large part.

Won't lie, I peeled the Hellfire sticker off, when they put it on at the factory, it was terribly crooked and off center, and I just liked the look of it better once I got it off.

I love mine so far, really makes a difference. I didn't realize how much wind a man my size was pushing.

Safe ridin.

Scott

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 05/31/12 at 11:38:24

The sticker peeled right off.

I do still have the Suzuki windshield.   It is shown in the 2 bottom pictures still mounted on the bike, and also in the photobucket link after removal.   It is in excellent condition with no scratches, and the chrome is nearly perfect too.   I have no idea what it's worth or how much shipping would cost?   I looked on eBay, but could not find another one.   Suzuki dealer sells for $150.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #4 - 05/31/12 at 19:37:37

I looked into what the shipping would be on the windshield. USPS was the best for around $44, without insurance. Unless you really want to get rid of it, it probably wouldn't be worth it to sell. Same here on the east coast, a new one from the dealer is $150. Better to hang on to the stock parts in case you ever want to sell anyhow. I'll keep looking, locally that is. Smiley

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:23:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New windy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.