Send Topic Print
High Mileage issues (Read 213 times)
RidgeRacer
YaBB Newbies

Wife's Mechanic

Pacific North West
High Mileage issues
05/31/12 at 07:03:20

I'm looking to buy my wife a bike and we found a '95 LS650 with 114k miles on it. Cosmetically it looks good but are there any high mileage issues with this bike I should be aware of?

Thanks

This message sent with 100% recycled electrons
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: High Mileage issues
Reply #1 - 05/31/12 at 07:13:36

I hope you misread the mileage, 114k would make it a rare bird indeed.  11,400 would be more common.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1295653542

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRacer
YaBB Newbies

Wife's Mechanic

Pacific North West
Reply #2 - 05/31/12 at 07:56:57

Actually I did read it wrong the craigslist add actually says 119,xxx miles.

It's 17 years old so that works out to 7k a year which is on the low end of what I ride every year. I've put 6k on a bike on a single summer trip. But then I tend to get a new bike every couple of years so I never have to deal with high mileage issues.

I have a 30 year old GPz550 I keep around for nostalgic reasons but it only has 55k on it. Unfortunately it is too tall for the wife.

Most my experience is with sport bike inline 4 cyls. and I wouldn't even look at a high horsepower engine with a 15,000 rpm redline with that kind of mileage (if they even exist) But I know some goldwing guys who have 100k+ bikes. So I guess I'm just curious if you cruiser guys are used to seeing those kind of miles. On one hand you couldn't ask for a simpler engine than a air cooled single. On the other hand it still has rings and valves and a cam chain like any other motor.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/31/12 at 08:59:31

Id want to know if its had rings & valves done, needs a leak down test either way, Id be leery of it,

YOu got any idea how many million times that piston has gone up & down in there?

I don rember th RPM vs MPH in 5th gear, but, if we just say 60 MPH = 3500 RPM & every inch it ever traveled was at 60 MPH, it never stopped or idled or ran at any speed other than 60 MPH @ 3500 RPM, then theres 210,000 revolutions per 60 miles, so, theres 210,000,000 for 60,000 miles,

I wouldnt wanna give much for it,,

Its actually pretty amazing to me that in internal combustion engine lasts more than a few thousand miles, considering all the stuff that happens in there & the hostile environment inside a cylinder,
At best, it just seems like an engine ought to use a quart of oil every few hundred miles,,Thats some kinda engineering up in there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #4 - 05/31/12 at 09:55:07

RidgeRacer wrote on 05/31/12 at 07:56:57:

If the ad doesn't have one, I'd ask for a picture of the odometer.  I'll bet the owner is assuming that the 6 digit odometer is all miles, not 5 miles + 1 tenth.  Unless Suzuki changed the odometer between '95 and '06, it should only go to 99,999.9 before rolling over.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRacer
YaBB Newbies

Wife's Mechanic

Pacific North West
Reply #5 - 05/31/12 at 10:00:40

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 05/31/12 at 09:55:07:
RidgeRacer wrote on 05/31/12 at 07:56:57:

If the ad doesn't have one, I'd ask for a picture of the odometer.  I'll bet the owner is assuming that the 6 digit odometer is all miles, not 5 miles + 1 tenth.  Unless Suzuki changed the odometer between '95 and '06, it should only go to 99,999.9 before rolling over.

That seems more likely. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/31/12 at 10:13:15

Definitely sounds like a misprint. Old Savages are a dime a dozen around here. They rarely get beaten on, mostly just neglected, but honestly it's unusual for me to see one listed with over 20,000 miles. It's just not really a long distance bike for most people; not saying it couldn't be, just that for most people they get used as beginner bikes and commuters.

If that mileage is really accurate, I'm sure you could find one with far fewer miles in the same price range.

IP Logged
RidgeRacer
YaBB Newbies

Wife's Mechanic

Pacific North West
Reply #7 - 05/31/12 at 11:08:10

I just talked to the owner and it is 11k and change, not 100k+ You guys were right about the tenths digit. The women who owns it says they were easy "Lady Miles"  Lips Sealed

Blue Book on it is $1,160. She is selling it with lots of extras for $1,000 hopefully the stated mileage will scare off any rivals till I can get over there Sat.

WWW   IP Logged
2011suzukis40
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/01/12 at 13:33:30

thats a sweet looking bike. If it runs good its worth $1000. No problem

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 06/01/12 at 17:37:47

This DOES look like a well cared for bike indeed. At least from here. Unless it has been just hosed down, the motor doesn't seem to have any leaks either.

IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #10 - 06/01/12 at 17:53:28

I'd buy it for 1000$, assuming that closer inspection didn't turn up any deal breakers.

I like the flames, but what's with the tank bib? Is at just cosmetic, or is the a functional purpose?

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
RidgeRacer
YaBB Newbies

Wife's Mechanic

Pacific North West
Reply #11 - 06/01/12 at 18:06:02

You never know with craigslist. No way to tell how old those pictures are. For instance on the phone the owner mentioned she was missing the tool kit cover which seems to be in place in the photos. Hopefully the 45 mile drive to look at it tomorrow won't be a waste of time.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRacer
YaBB Newbies

Wife's Mechanic

Pacific North West
Reply #12 - 06/03/12 at 06:56:06

We went and looked at the bike and it was pretty much as advertized so we bought it. (I guess  you all will be seeing more of me around the forum now)

Cosmetically I don't think you could expect more from a 17 year old bike. No rust or oil leaks. There are a few items that will need to be addressed. It is going to need a new tire before the summer is out. (Any recommendations?) The button is missing off the end of the choke and the left front foot peg needs to be replaced.

And it did include a gremlin bell which has supposedly been with the bike since the original owner. This seemed to impress my wife. I had never heard of these bells in my 30 years of riding.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 06/03/12 at 07:50:59

I never heard of that bell either, and reading the heart warming legend about it almost made me cry.. :'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/03/12 at 07:53:25

How many miles a year you expect to see on it is a consideration when choosing a tire, No reason to buy The Best Tire & watch it die from age with 2/3rds of the tread left on it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:27:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › High Mileage issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.