Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Found an Idea.
Reply #45 - 06/12/12 at 06:58:07

Sam7.62 wrote on 06/10/12 at 17:34:37:
To whoever suggested hitting the flash to pass at an intersection thank you!! Saved my tushy today.

Yeah, that is a good idea.  I'm pretty sure my '98 doesn't have that though... just the plain old high beam or low beam switch.  I used a headlight modulator for a while until I found it to be a power vampire that was draining my battery.  Worked fine for about five years and then went awry.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #46 - 06/12/12 at 08:41:21

Sometimes you flash people, and they think you're signalling them to go...
Watch for it...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #47 - 06/12/12 at 10:28:46

Serowbot wrote on 06/12/12 at 08:41:21:
Sometimes you flash people, and they think you're signalling them to go...
Watch for it...Huh...

+1  Had this happen twice- gave up flashing-just weave like I might fall down- usually works for tail gaters, too. Shocked Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #48 - 06/12/12 at 21:20:27

Learn how to stop with ONLY your rear brake. It is neither as difficult or as scary as many riders (especially instructors) tell you it is. One day your front brake is going to fail. Air bubble, old brake fluid because you were too lazy to change it when it started getting dark, dirty caliper piston, popped caliper seal... It happens. Think back to driving a pre-ABS four wheeled vehicle. Remember how to pump your brakes? Same thing. And downshifting is cheating.

You CAN ride on snow or ice. You may HAVE to one day. Decrease your tire pressure, slow down and do not engine brake. Go easy on the service brakes. Line your clothes with as many free publications as you can find, great wind barrier. Buy some trash bags and cheap duct tape. Goes over your clothes. You'll still be cold but you won't be covered in frozen water that melts and makes you colder. I've ridden home 36 miles in 5*F, not fun but I made it in one piece, so did my bike.

Buy a tool bag and some REAL tools. Throw the factory kit away except the plug socket. Carry an extra sparkplug (pre-gapped). Carry a cable splicing kit. Carry a GOOD mini flashlight and some spare batteries. Good does NOT mean a harbor freight LED unit... Carry a set of spare bulbs.

Oil leaks are normal. Air leaks are normal. Needing to adjust your clutch lever and rear brake is normal. Greasing your levers is not only normal, it is necessary for smooth operation. Lube your cables (don't use WD40, it dries sticky). Lube your brake shoe pivots.

Adjust the bike to fit YOU. Change the bars and/or seat if need be. Get forward controls or floorboards (you'll need to make mounts). Reposition the shifter to fit your boot toe (and ride in steel toed boots, trust me on this one, rocks hurt). Get more comfortable grips. Get wide levers if you need them, cable clutch early Marauder parts fit.

Watch the old guys with long gray beards full of heavy weight engine oil. If they can't walk right they have been riding for a long time. Watch how they ride. Believe it or not, they pre-trip the bike before EVERY start, even if they only stopped long enough to gas up. Once you learn your machine a pre-trip is a quick visual scan from the seat.

Biggest tip, come ride with me. I have absolutely no problem telling you how you are messing up and how to correct it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #49 - 06/13/12 at 00:49:01

WD wrote on 06/12/12 at 21:20:27:
Learn how to stop with ONLY your rear brake. It is neither as difficult or as scary as many riders (especially instructors) tell you it is. One day your front brake is going to fail. Air bubble, old brake fluid because you were too lazy to change it when it started getting dark, dirty caliper piston, popped caliper seal... It happens. Think back to driving a pre-ABS four wheeled vehicle. Remember how to pump your brakes? Same thing. And downshifting is cheating.

You CAN ride on snow or ice. You may HAVE to one day. Decrease your tire pressure, slow down and do not engine brake. Go easy on the service brakes. Line your clothes with as many free publications as you can find, great wind barrier. Buy some trash bags and cheap duct tape. Goes over your clothes. You'll still be cold but you won't be covered in frozen water that melts and makes you colder. I've ridden home 36 miles in 5*F, not fun but I made it in one piece, so did my bike.

Buy a tool bag and some REAL tools. Throw the factory kit away except the plug socket. Carry an extra sparkplug (pre-gapped). Carry a cable splicing kit. Carry a GOOD mini flashlight and some spare batteries. Good does NOT mean a harbor freight LED unit... Carry a set of spare bulbs.

Personally, I carry a "head mounted unit", one of those thingies you wear around your forehead; it keeps your hands free and it shines where you're looking.

Quote:
Oil leaks are normal. Air leaks are normal. Needing to adjust your clutch lever and rear brake is normal. Greasing your levers is not only normal, it is necessary for smooth operation. Lube your cables (don't use WD40, it dries sticky).
Lube your brake shoe pivots.

I need to greas my drum pivots, as the rear brake tends to stick, but... do I need to disassemble the rear wheel ?

Quote:
Adjust the bike to fit YOU. Change the bars and/or seat if need be. Get forward controls or floorboards (you'll need to make mounts). Reposition the shifter to fit your boot toe (and ride in steel toed boots, trust me on this one, rocks hurt). Get more comfortable grips. Get wide levers if you need them, cable clutch early Marauder parts fit.

Watch the old guys with long gray beards full of heavy weight engine oil. If they can't walk right they have been riding for a long time. Watch how they ride. Believe it or not, they pre-trip the bike before EVERY start, even if they only stopped long enough to gas up. Once you learn your machine a pre-trip is a quick visual scan from the seat.

Biggest tip, come ride with me. I have absolutely no problem telling you how you are messing up and how to correct it.

I'd love riding with you (although you sound a bit line those 1960 PanAm commercials...  Grin)

Thanks  Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #50 - 06/13/12 at 04:30:45

I need to greas my drum pivots, as the rear brake tends to stick, but... do I need to disassemble the rear wheel ?

Yea,, gotta have the brakes in your hand. Sure would be good to need a tire..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #51 - 06/13/12 at 06:30:18

"Biggest tip, come ride with me. I have absolutely no problem telling you how you are messing up and how to correct it."

WD.......I am going to look up Rosemark and see how far you are from me in Wilkesboro. I think a couple hours riding with you would be a good experience on several levels. I like someone that is straight forward.

Thanks for all the info in the post. I come from a long line of professional duct tape junkies.  Wink

Safe ridin.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #52 - 06/13/12 at 06:34:37

WD.

Rosemark Tn should be Rosemark, almost in Arkansas, Tn......bummer.

was hoping you were closer to the NC side.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #53 - 06/13/12 at 12:31:48

I'm all of 20 miles east of the MS River.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #54 - 06/13/12 at 16:03:50

mpescatori wrote on 06/05/12 at 01:42:18:
[I disagree here.

1) Why shouldn't a car passenger be allowed to use the phone ?
Quote:
Same reason they can't have an open container of alcohol

2) Who are you going to call when the road-rabid pickup driver starts playing "DUEL" with your economy car for a matter of peanuts ?
Quote:
I did say inoperable, other than for calling 911

3) Why aren't you blasting smokers who flick their lit butts into your face as you ride by ? Are you a smoker ?  Roll Eyes
Quote:
Getting hit with a cigarette butt is different than getting hit with a car... Trust me, I've been hit by both...

I think it's the only way it will stop...
Cell phones are heroin for geekophiles and blabbermouths... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #55 - 06/13/12 at 17:37:15

I think the answer is to see if the driver was using the phone & If the Driver Caused the wreck,, only then does it matter,,& IF the driver was texting or on the phone & caused a crash, then they Go To JAY ULL...

that will stop it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:25:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Found an Idea.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.