Found an Idea. (Read 608 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: Found an Idea.
Reply #15 - 05/31/12 at 14:18:41

I got no problem with the name being changed.
Had rather hoped it would turn into a good info thread that would be kept around for the newbies.

Still waiting on a more detailed description from one of the old timers on corner carving though. Seems this bike just kinda brings out the love of the twisties in people...lol
I don't feel qualified to describe it. Vers, Bot, Lancer, Old feller??
Come on Dragon Boys.

Reactions to....
Punctures
Skids
small animals
large animals
Gravel roads
Emergency Braking(panic stops)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 05/31/12 at 14:43:09

Starlifter wrote on 05/31/12 at 14:11:46:
*Always keep in mind that you are invisible to 90% of drivers...the other 10% are out to get you.

Oh, okay... I always thought 100% of them were out to kill me but only 10% could see me!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #17 - 05/31/12 at 16:48:41

Ride like you're invisible, and learn to anticipate potential accidents BEFORE they become reality.   Better to be late than not arrive at all, or in a different destination you had not planned for.

If you're a noob and riding doesn't feel right or comfortable, then consider finding another pastime or getting a small dirt bike to practice in the dirt.   Dirt bike riding can teach you valuable handling skills that can be carried to the street, and it doesn't hurt as much to fall down.  In fact, there are riders who feel that everyone should be a reasonably practiced dirt bike rider BEFORE riding on the street.   Riding is somewhat a learned process, but like many other activities there are some folks who will never quite "get it", whereas others have an innate ability to understand the physics involved with traction, coordinated turns, etc.   In many ways riding is much like flying, but in only two dimensions.

When riding a multilane hwy in traffic make sure the car beside you knows you're there.   I've had cars change into my lane (with me already in it) when the driver was no more than a few feet from me!   Look for the driver's quick head glance at the left rear view mirror then begin to think about options (horn, speed up, slow down, boot thru driver side window, etc).

When riding in the mountains in bushy or heavily treed areas on a multilane hwy (i.e., 2 up 2 down), ride as close to center of the road as possible.  If something jumps out of the bushes (deer, bear, Sasquatch) you want to have as many options as possible.

During abrupt stops, watch the car behind you as much as your own safety margin in front.   Never assume he can stop as quickly as you. I have had to ease up on the brake on occasion to accommodate the car following me, and a few times even get up alongside the car in front so I didn't become a car sandwich.  Also in those situations pump the brake a few times blinking your stop light to get the following car's attention that you are stopping.

When realizing you've gone into a corner too hot, remember that traction comes from one bank account and one only!  You can choose to use it in braking, or turning, or applying partial to both, but the total amount available all comes from the same source.   In other words, once you begin applying brakes, there is less traction available for turning and vice versa.   Note, however, you can generally lean and turn far sharper than most riders might think before losing traction.

Take an MSF course or two and listen to the wisdom.

« Last Edit: 06/02/12 at 14:50:29 by 360k+ »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 05/31/12 at 17:04:45

Wolfman wrote on 05/31/12 at 14:18:41:
Reactions to....
Punctures
Skids
small animals
large animals
Gravel roads
Emergency Braking(panic stops)

Cr@p my pants, mostly... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #19 - 05/31/12 at 18:33:20

Really good stuff here guys.

Keep it coming. I realized what a resource I had in my coworker once I gave up the pride thing and just asked. Humble pie never was one of my favorites, but it sure tastes better than asphalt.

Definitely taking the MSF course, will be later this month hopefully.

So you know, a lot of here really pay attention to you guys with all the saddle time, so please don't consider anything you have to offer "less" important even if simple and fundamental to you.

We all want to be safe. Reading over a thread like this can't possibly hurt anyone with any level of experience.  Reminders are good.

Thanks again.

Scott

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 05/31/12 at 21:01:07

Found an Idea,, I really thot this thread was gonna be about waking up from being knocked out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #21 - 06/01/12 at 00:57:36

I do a LOT of gravel riding. Don't like it but i got over a mile to just get to the blacktop. Not the best road either.
On gravel the front brake is NOT your friend. The rear brake is. That and engine brakeing. Ride slow and brake easy with the rear brake.
Lock that front brake up and you lose traction/control. Front wheel tends to go in the least expected direction REAL FAST. Usually sideways which puts YOU eating gravel.
The rear will 'usually' slide in the direction of travel if you get on it to hard. Brake easy and brake early.
Let off the throttle easily and let the engine slow you down slowly.
Keep your speed down around 15-20 mph.
Drive the packed/bare tire lanes. Stay OUT of the loose stuff if at all possible.

Small animals. Power over them. Smalls cats, dogs, squirrels etc hit the gas slightly just beore you hit them and keep the bars straight.
Try to panic stop and you may well eat it as well as hitting the animal anyway.
Large animals like deer, very large dogs, pigs, sheep etc you need to avoid. You see em early enough slow down and give em the road.
They have a bad tendency to go right where you try to go around them. They WILL put you down.
Watch low spots in the road, especially around creeks/rivers etc. Deer, coons and others love to cross at these spots. Watch for the eyeshine, not the whole animal.

Side note: Avoid armadillos at all costs. They would be one he!! of a speed bump. They also have a real BAD tendency to jump straight up just before you hit them. Which would put them bouncing off your headlight and then up into your chest or faceplate. Bad news.
Their faster then they look to. Scare me more then deer...lol
Another thing to avoid is Buzzards on roadkill.
Come up on them and they will usually stay there until your almost on them. Their big and will usually try to occupy the same space as you. They WILL take you down.
Besides that if you do manage to go under them they will cr@p all over you. Defense mechanism when their scared. And they smell REALLY REALLY BAD!...lol

IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #22 - 06/01/12 at 10:56:24

Wolfman wrote on 05/31/12 at 14:18:41:
Reactions to....
Punctures - - - stop asap.  Pretty easy.
Skids - - - Straight skid or turning?  Straight is easy, ride it out till you stop.  Turning in a curve and braking?  Never a good idea.  But, if you have to, and you have the skill, let the back break loose.  use foot to weight outside peg, push handlebar inside, and give it some gas.  It's fun to "back it in" to turns, but be wary.......
small animals - - - Ran over a squirrel this morning.
large animals - - - Pin it.  Hit a coyote once.  It was a little scary, but I simply powered though it.
Gravel roads - - - Slow down.
Emergency Braking(panic stops) - - - Front and rear brake applied with as much force as necessary to avoid a skid...use the shift lever to create engine braking.  Practice emergency stops when you can.

I would also like to add:
Stay in 1st gear at the lights, ready to take off.  Always leave enough space between yourself and the car in front of you, so that if needed, you can dump the clutch and get out of the way.  Cagers dont see you.  I never go into neutral at a light...getting rear-ended on a MC sucks.

Optional:  I ride with 1 or 2 fingers on the front brake and clutch at all times.  I refuse to do the "whole hand/4 finger clutch" move.  In a time when you are dealing with split seconds, it helps.  Some agree, some disagree - but I know what works for me.

- - Field of view.  Look as far ahead as you can, constantly scanning the road.

- - Above all - - -KNOW YOUR LIMITS AND RIDE WITHIN THEM.  Think you're ready for the dragon?  Most think they are.  Many are not.  You can see some of their broken bike pieces at the shrine.

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #23 - 06/01/12 at 11:53:07

All these tips are good things to know.

On the advice of some here, I bought the "Proficient Motorcycling" book and must admit it is worth the 13.00 I spent on it. (Ebook price)

For a newb, some really great tips and things to think about. I am about halfway thru, and already have learned several things. A lot of really good tips on curves and setup and distance. Not rocket science, but great things to have on your mind while riding both in the country and in traffic.

I was really surprised at a diagram shown from results taken after a "crash survey" that showed nearly 39% of all damage to helmets/faces happened to the lower jawbone area.

Really making me consider going to full face from the 3/4 I have now. I know it's preference, and everyone has a right to what they want. Author doesn't try to convince anyone to go either way, just giving the facts. That number really surprised me.

Not much skin on a man's jaw.

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #24 - 06/01/12 at 19:28:16

"On the advice of some here, I bought the "Proficient Motorcycling" book and must admit it is worth the 13.00 I spent on it. (Ebook price)"

In my opionion this is the best book ever written on motorcycling. I have read both volumns cover to cover twice. There is an amazing amount of good information in these two books.

There is a Vol.2 of this two book set. Be sure to pick that one up also, you won't regret it.  

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #25 - 06/02/12 at 00:39:06

This diagram?

Lot of info from the Hurt Report here.
http://dontai.com/wp/2010/05/20/motorcycle-helmet-impact-zones/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 06/02/12 at 06:24:31

Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved
collision with another vehicle, which was most usually a passenger
automobile.

In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle
violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds
of those accidents.

So, if we look at 100 accidents, 75 include a car, & of those accidents
2/3rds are caused by the car driver, Soo,, 50 of 100 crashes, or HALF,, Half of all ( injury) bike crashes are caused by a driver unaware of the bike,
& this is an old report, not exactly pre-historic, but certainly Pre-Texting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #27 - 06/02/12 at 07:51:06

Wolf.......

that is the one.

that one really got me to thinking.

and Justin you are correct........the whole texting thing and really phones in general are one of our biggest nemesis'.  if i roll up on a teenage girl talking on the phone my spidey senses go off everywhere and i look for some way to get completely away from her.  never thought i would be afraid of a 110 lb teenage girl........but i admit it....petrifies me.

Star.......i got volume 2........and i agree.......some great stuff in this book, really enjoying and trying to soak up the info.  thanks for the recommend.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #28 - 06/02/12 at 11:52:50

Id LOVE to see cell phone use outlawed in a moving vehicle!
They recently wanted to try to do that here in MO.
But the state patrol in particular said it was a waste of time. They likened cell phone use to listening to the radio or listening to a passenger or talking to the passenger etc??? Roll Eyes

They need to take some of these nay sayers and put em the pillion seat of an unmarked bike(no police bikes) and let em ride through traffic for a day or two. Main drags, intersections etc. You'd see a law come on the books so fast it would make your head spin.

I see em all the time. Seems like 1 in 4 or 5 have a cell phone glued to their face. And you can usually tell by the looks on their faces their minds somewhere else.
Law would be worth it just for the teenagers it would save out driving let alone the number of US it would keep from grief.

Another safety point to consider is avoid rush hour traffic if at all possible. You know how rude and stupid people get when your in a cage. It's WORSE when your on a bike. Think BULLY! Your little, their big and tired and/or in a bad mood. Their GOING to make you move for them. Toss in cell phones and you'll understand why most riders keep to the back roads/side streets early morning, lunch and afternoon.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #29 - 06/02/12 at 22:08:31

Side Stand AKA Kick stand

You should never simply kick the stand down at your destination and climb off your bike without visually checking that it is extended all the way down and 'locked' into place. (I learned this one the hard way.)

You should never rely on the side stand to support your bike by itself unless you are parked on a solid surface. While sand and grassy areas are obviously not 'solid', neither is asphalt when the temperature exceeds 90 degrees. Placing a 'foot' like a piece of board or even a crushed soda can under the side stand tip is usually all that is required to keep your stand from punching a hole under it and sending your bike onto its left side.

You should never leave your bike unattended in neutral gear with the side stand down if you are parked facing down (OR up) a hill. Putting the bike in gear will 'lock' the rear wheel and your bike will still be standing when you return to it. Being 'in-gear' is the closest thing on your scoot to having a parking brake!

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:25:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Found an Idea.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.