Found an Idea. (Read 608 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Found an Idea.
05/30/12 at 21:03:28

Found an idea while on a short head clearing ride to town today.
Funny how a 5 mile ride turns into 60+....lol

Thinking about the S-I-L and the new riders ive seen showing up i got to thinking.
Some of you old codgers thats older then dirt and smell funny that have been riding for many years need to toss out some riding tips/tutorials. Diagrams would be nice to...lol
No techno speak or lawyereze, plain english...lol

Things like how to ride into and out of the curves. Speed up slow down hug the white line or mid-point in the road entering the curve etc. Down shifting rolling on or off the throttle etc.
Yeah you can look a lot up like for track riding but i thought actual street experience with the chance to ask questions might help some new riders.
Also what NOT to do like locking the brakes up, standing the bike up etc.

Riding in town, out in the farmlands during harvest season. Deer, coons, dillo avoidance and what to do if you CAN'T avoid em.
Just pretend your sitting around the campfire teaching a bunch of newbies or your kid how to stay healthy.
Lot of new guys don't know what to ask or are to shy to ask those that have been riding for 10 or 15 years.

I believe riding is a continuous learning curve, you never know it all.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: Found an Idea.
Reply #1 - 05/30/12 at 21:20:46

Okay, I'll start

'TARGET FIXATION"

'Fixating' on something means not being able to take your attention (your eyes, for example) away from it. In the case of riding motorcycles, for example, this leads to the phenomena wherein our motorcycles tend to go in the direction we are looking....so that if you see a pothole in the street ahead of you and you don't take your eyes off it, you are likely to hit it. Shocked

Saying "don't fixate" is okay, but once it starts, you need a positive technique to get yourself out in one piece. So once you are in trouble, use target fixation to save your skin.

Don't look at the oncoming truck/tree/pothole; figure out where you would rather be and fixate on that instead. Wink

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/30/12 at 23:27:54

Curves,... brake hard, slow in, accelerate through,.. exit on throttle...

It's hard to get in trouble, if you are slow in...  and you'll be faster than you think... the reward comes on the exit.  You'll exit with an advantage over the guy that tried to take the corner too fast...

... but,.. if, on occasion, you feel yer' kester tighten... mid curve... don't brake...    lean your body into the curve,... not the bike, just your body... the bike will come up a bit, and you will make it through...(practice this.. and you'll gain confidence in it)...
... unless you went in way too fast... in which case, braking won't save it either... best chance is lean in, and follow through... (this will also have your body in position to slide, instead of bounce if you do go down)... (lesson one in crashing... scuff off speed before you stop)...

Then re-evaluate your attitude... and clean yer' shorts... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bess227

Back in the saddle
after 20 yrs

N. Wilkesboro, NC
Reply #3 - 05/31/12 at 07:05:38

Wolf, Serow and Star,

Thank you.

I will be the first to admit. The reason I dropped my bike and put a "shanker" in my leg the first morning was nothing more than 48 year old "man pride".

I should have taken an MSF course, or better yet, gotten the guy I work with that has over 150k miles in the saddle to go with me and spend 30 minutes going over the basics again before riding at any speed over 1st gear.

My learning curve has been quick. I finally broke down and asked him to take me thru some curves here around home (mountains of NC). He was a former MSF instructor. 20 minutes with him thru the curves, stopping occasionally to ask questions and get advice made me a 100% better rider than I would be now without it.

So here is a question. After reading the last couple posts about some of our brothers getting broken up at intersections (Godspeed on healing to them) is there any other advice other than, lane position, covering the levers, head on a swivel?

Thanks again, everyone on this forum has been so helpful with all my questions. I appreciate it.

Scott

15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 07 S40, Black, stock, Slipstreamer shield, Saddleman bags, Routy FC's, Sissy Bar.....love this bike.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/31/12 at 07:34:02

When I see someone who is gonna be in position to turn left across me when I get to an intersection coming, I watch their head & see if theyre looking left or slowing & I flip my Pass switch ( only works if on low beam) & move side to side in my lane, ( some give no clues, theyre daydreaming along & realize they need to turn at the last second, sometimes a downshift & full throttle is better than brakes,, depends on the situation,
Most dangerous location? At the front of a line of cars, because theyll try to hustle across so they dont have to wait, or the end of a line of cars, cuz youre little & theyre looking for "the last CAR" & theyll run over you.. At th front of a line, depending on situation, may add GUn It to lite flashing & weaving, at the end, scoot rite & tuck in behind the last car so they cant hit you if they come across,,NOT etched in stone, variables abound..

Envision situations & practice your response layin in bed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/31/12 at 08:23:21

I'm not an old codger yet but I'll add a couple of my favorites.

1) Practice emergency stops regularly.  Find a vacant parking lot and practice them over and over to reduce your time and distance.

2) Evaluate "what ifs" constantly.  While riding, systematically evaluate surrounding traffic and conditions and think about potential problems and escape scenarios.  The more you evaluate, the more you've mentally prepared, and the quicker you are to react to any you pre-evaluated.  There are always some you won't anticipate.  However, this mental game also helps to keep you alert instead of just skylarking.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/31/12 at 08:43:34

& pay attention to changing road conditions. Not all dry pavement offers the same traction. Be aware that the first few minutes of rain lifts oils & the road is slicker than after 30 minutes of good rain,
When Im driving & it starts to rain, I hit the brakes & feel how the car acts on the wet road.. I dont recommend that on a bike,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/31/12 at 08:58:18

Always pay attention.......one other thing always pay attention!!!

Stay out of the center of lanes at signals and stop signs lots of leaky fords have been there....oil on bike tires equals slick......

Keep your thumb on the high beam switch and flash people that show ANY indication of pulling out in front of you...this tip works!!!

Check your tire pressures at least once per week most tires leak.

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMENT......Looking cool in a casket is not cool !!

Know your limitations, every ones skill level is different.

T shirts shorts and flip flops...turn you into hamburger if you go down! If you ride long enough you WILL eventully, Besides people that ride like this are stupid and look that way!!!

Look for sand dirt holes debris wet leaves really slick as well as the paint on the roads even dry its slick.

Check your mirrors at traffic lights some people get hit from behind be prepared to move quickly!

Dont ride drunk, you are not as good as you think!!!!

All of these things i have experienced or seen! One last thing ALWAYS pay attention to everything around you!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/31/12 at 09:05:30

& theres a reason they call the next season Fall,,Leaves on leaves in a turn = fall,,& those blasted sweet gum balls in the mix may as well be marbles,, & if theyre wet, well,, the water may as well be oil,

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/31/12 at 09:34:49

Assume everyone is a brain dead idiot (not much of a stretch). Imagine how you could react to the stupidest thing they could possibly do (they will probably do it).

--Steve

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 05/31/12 at 10:37:22

"So here is a question. After reading the last couple posts about some of our brothers getting broken up at intersections (Godspeed on healing to them) is there any other advice other than, lane position, covering the levers, head on a swivel? "

When riding, do NOT ride looking through your own visor or windshield...

Learn to ride looking through the rear window and windscreen of the car in front of you !  Cool Ride according to what that driver sees !

Have you ever cussed at the cage that swerved into the middle of the road just as you were preparing to overtake?
Angry
You never noticed the bicycle rider in front, or the little boy chasing his basketball down the driveway, did you ?
Lips Sealed
THAT'S why the cage swerved !

Also...

In the rain, lane paint may become very slippery, avoid it like they were made of wet glass...

In the rain, cars will raise a LOT of water when splashing their way through puddles - learn to ride with zero vision for a second or two, i.e. don't panic and slam the brakes, just ride on like nothing happened... ride through the splash and you'll be still riding as you come out the other side  Wink WET but still ridin'...

Personally, I always leave a distance between myself and the rider in front, unless I have to overtake; enough distance to avoid him if he slams the brakes or does something stupid...

GOOD helmets have a quick-release chin strap; learn to release it with one hand only, learning from both hands (your thumbs will be on the opposide side of the strap...)

BETTER helmets have a red tab you can yank to release in an emergency.

BEST helmets not only have all the above, but your chin won't rub into the chin piece, your ears aren't pressed shut, your forehead is completely protected and the back of your neck is also protected.
Rule of thumb is "no drafts anywhere!"

And... never ever challenge superscooter riders, they will outrace you in the straight, then slow down like old ladies into the bends... Tongue

Cool Ride well, ride safe !  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #11 - 05/31/12 at 11:49:10

Bess227, ive only been back on a street bike for 27 months(10,000 miles so far), used to ride the snot out of dirt bikes many years ago.

As a beginner heres a couple of tips thats helped me.
When riding alongside in traffic keep a wary eye on their front wheel. Thats the first indication of them comeing across into your lane. Don't expect a headcheck or a signal.
STAY OUT OF BLIND SPOTS! That means don't just pull up beside them but pull slightly 'AHEAD' of the driver side window.

At intersections check and check again before you ride through.
Even if your first in line and the lights switched, WATCH for that last idjit thats in a hurry and blows through just as or after the lights changed!
Be very careful if your city/state allows right turns on reds. Most folks don't stop, they just glance left and go through the turn.
The traffic to their left can and will block their view of you.

Stops of any kind. Clutch in, first gear, right foot on the brake, right hand on the throttle, one eye on the rear view mirror untill the car behind you comes to a complete stop. Look for an escape route around the car(s) in front of you when you come to a stop. It may be between the cars, into the road ditch or even into the on comeing lane IF theres no heavy traffic.
Be READY to vacate your space and have a route planned. ALWAYS!
I usualy angle the bike 'slightly' towards my expected escape route at lights. I believe this gives me a slightly wider profile for that soccer mom on the cell phone running up my arse to notice

I ride centered or in the left side of my lane. This gives me optimum maneuverability(room to evade) to the right OR left if someone encroaches on my space. OWN your lane. I believe it also makes me more visible then riding on the right side of my lane.

Riding in the country when topping hills i usualy let off the throttle a bit. Especially if theres a house or farm on top of the hill. Its a blind spot and you never know whats comeing out. Tractors pulling hay equipment or wagons don't move real fast. Works good in town to.
Some dairies run cattle across the road to milk each day to. Cows don't leave a clean trail and its slippery as chit...literally...lol

2 second following rule is good, 3 seconds is better. But expect some yahoo to try and slip into the space. They will even try to edge into your safety zone at lights(our room to evade behind the car in front).

Do NOT expect them to see you. Even if you've made eye contact!
Ride like your invisible and ride defensively at ALL times.
Ive had em turn and look out the driver side window right at me beside them then try to push me into on comeing traffic!
Expect the unexpected.

Ride at your comfort level, within your skill and ability level. Don't worry a bit about what anyone else is doing if riding with others.
And when you think you got it all mastered, think again. Get complacent and your putting yourself at risk.
Right about the time you think you got it all down pat is about the time you screw up and go down. Just ask these guys n gals.

I was'nt going to post to the thread and here ive run off at the mouth...lol
27 months riding year round and i STILL consider myself a beginner bess.
Oh yeah. If you ride in the winter like i do keep an eye on the temps. I don't ride below about 35 degrees. Bikes n ice don't mix...lol

IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 05/31/12 at 11:55:51

Wolfman - Print these out and give them to your SIL - - - Then, sing BOTH of you up for the Basic MSF Course at your local Community College.....

It'll be the best 80-90 bucks you can spend in your situation.

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/31/12 at 13:31:20

Good advice all, i even learned something after 41 years being in the wind. I agree take an advanced class if you cant pass you dont belong on the road and give a copy of this post to the students!

An idea for the mods, maybe give this thread a new name No offence Wolfman..i think its great and put it some where that will keep it around awhile for oldsters and noobs to read, maybe it will save a life!   Smiley

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 05/31/12 at 14:11:46

An excellent idea Drifter!

Counter Steering

At very slow speeds we steer a motorcycle by turning the handlebar in the direction we wish to go. We can only do that at speeds of less than about 6 MPH. At any higher speed we do the exact opposite, (whether we realize it or not.)

For example, assuming we want to turn to the right, we actually TRY to turn the handlebar left. This results in the front wheel leaning to the right and, as a result of the lean of the wheel, athe bike turns to the right. This is counter-steering.

*Always keep in mind that you are invisible to 90% of drivers...the other 10% are out to get you.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:15:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Found an Idea.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.