Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Synthetic Oil Doubters....Try This. (Read 258 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Synthetic Oil Doubters....Try This.
05/29/12 at 07:58:49

Those out there who do not like synthetic oil i have an idea as an experiment go buy a couple quarts of mobile 1 20-50 bike oil cost about 18 bucks.....i know for the cheapies that is robbery.....all oil is to high in my opinion!!  Ok add this to your bike fire it up and listen, it will be quieter even when hot. Now go for a ride and notice how much better the tranny shifts. The 3rd thing for those that keep track of such things check your gas mileage it will be better also!  All three prove 1 thing friction is reduced due to the synthetic oil....Try it just once before you flame me.....i strongly believe you will like the results.  Smiley

Grin   all that "hater stuff" has to go in Politics & Religion (Tall Table).... since this is just a doubter thread now then it is fine here, or in RSD where we generally hold all the oil wars

« Last Edit: 07/17/12 at 16:31:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Synthetic Oil Haters....Try This.
Reply #1 - 05/29/12 at 08:22:07

I wont disagree with that assessment. I will only say this. & It goes back to the Rule of 80/20, I can spend significantly less & still get a  service life out of the engine that is long enough to have the rest of the bike worn out,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 05/29/12 at 08:25:13

I don't hate. I absorb as much info as I can and make an informed decision. Your statements hold true for cars so I would assume they hold true for bikes as well. My Savage mechanic told me that full synthetics leak easier (true on Jeeps) and the clutch wears sooner. I have no idea. The shop sells a semi-synth oil. Since I go there, that's what I use. I am not trying to argue or start anything as I am a new owner to a Savage. I just wanted to mention what my mechanic said.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/29/12 at 08:34:47

Most of the change will be due to the thicker wt. 20w50 vs. 10w40
quieter, smoother... maybe, but mpg?... don't think so, heavier wt. will cost mileage but in this case will be about the same due to dino to syn conversion.  and most don't have the precise throttle position to get the same gpm trip after trip.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 05/29/12 at 08:40:44

Why would you want to put 20w50 in there?

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/29/12 at 09:07:09

Like i said Try it....you will like it.  Owners manual has 20-50 at the top of the chart. Mobile 1 20-50 has a different chemical package than the Mobile 1 10-40 you can research it to find out.  If you dont like 20-50 try some other synthetic the results will be the same.

Every bike Ive had including Nortons Triumphs BMWs Kawasakis Suzukis, etc have been smoother and quieter with better mileage running synthetic oil. Never had a clutch problem even in my 9 sec 150 mph Drag Bike.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 05/29/12 at 09:34:48

I don't think you can extract an oil war out of "synthetic vs. dino."   Sure, there's tons of disagreement on what brands, additives, filtration methods, etc. are best.  But it's pretty well established that synthetic is superior to dino oil in that it stays truer to its stated viscosity range as you go from cold to hot, and also as the oil ages and its molecules get scissored in half.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 05/29/12 at 09:59:37

I forgot to mention, this is what's in my scooter:

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #8 - 05/29/12 at 13:36:09

Funny, my owners manual specifies 15-40, and then lists a chart of "acceptable" weights for weather extremes.  Send me a couple quarts of that synthetic stuff, and I'll glady try it! Grin

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 05/29/12 at 17:23:45

Drifter, I pretty much agree with most of this, but my experience is different. I ran Castrol Acteveo and it used enough to add some after a few wicker rides. (7400 miles) The top end is waaay quieter with Rotella and I can wind the crap out of it and run 75-80mph spurts with no problems that I know of. I have run 10,000 miles on Rotella after being brow beaten by guys who race Moto on Rotella with KTM and Kawa's. Of course, I wear Tractor supply shirts for my church clothes and WalMart shirts for my work clothes. Jeans just depend on what's on sale.  Grin Wink Embarrassed Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #10 - 05/29/12 at 19:20:50

Greg, that is the exact same oil I use. Works for me.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/30/12 at 07:28:57

Salb, the manual listed on here and my clymer manual page 35 has 20-50 at the top of the multi grade chart....send me 30 bucks and i will ship a couple quarts to you.  Smiley   Be easier if you just went to wallys or any auto parts store and bought it your self and saved the shipping cost!!!    No i do not own mobile 1 stock either just lots of experience using it for 20 years.   Try it!

I use Rotella T in my tractor, car, truck, mowers, generators etc. bikes get treated to the really good stuff...... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #12 - 05/30/12 at 20:33:14

Drifter wrote on 05/30/12 at 07:28:57:
Salb, the manual listed on here and my clymer manual page 35 has 20-50 at the top of the multi grade chart....send me 30 bucks and i will ship a couple quarts to you.  Smiley   Be easier if you just went to wallys or any auto parts store and bought it your self and saved the shipping cost!!!    No i do not own mobile 1 stock either just lots of experience using it for 20 years.   Try it!

I use Rotella T in my tractor, car, truck, mowers, generators etc. bikes get treated to the really good stuff...... Roll Eyes

My 2007 Manual specifies 10-40 (my error),  and then goes on to say that if it is not available, you can use the alternate weights in the chart if used in the corresponding temp. range.  My oil gets dirty so fast from short trips that I use Rotella dino oil to save $$$.  Yes, I'm a cheapscape! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 06/01/12 at 14:32:29

You guys use Spectro? I'm buying stock in a clutch disc company, that stuff is horrible. I've scrapped out way too many bikes that ran that stuff and came to the breakers yard with the entire basket shredded or wiped out bushings/bearings/cam holders.

My friend ran that in his 1500 Drifter from Seattle to Memphis when he moved here last summer. His bike never used to coke up until he ran that crap in it. We've changed the oil 6 times and we're still getting scorched disc liner out with every oil change.

If you are going to run synthetic, spend your money on something better than Spectro. Even Wal-mart's house brand causes less clutch issues.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/17/12 at 14:46:13

Coax, read this.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:28:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Synthetic Oil Doubters....Try This.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.