ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Petcock issue! Help!
Reply #15 - 05/29/12 at 18:42:48

robb+ wrote on 05/29/12 at 18:09:56:
When I said it ran better with the vac port on the carb open I meant this.  I started the bike with the vac port plugged with a like plastic molding, and it slipped off.  The idle sounded better and it wasn't sputtering nearly as much so I took it for a ride!

This means you're way to rich.  could be a dirty air filter or a dead bird.

Quote:
The petcock was on the on position and it still turned off when I pulled up to a light.
means your PC is leaking at least it's thru the valve.  and because you're so rich, at higher throttle settings you can keep it going.

Quote:
 I switched it to prime and it didn't cut off anymore.  Still couldn't get it above like 65 down a straight-away.  I know the carb could use cleaning but after researching on here I thought the PC would be the easier thing to try and fix first.
still sounds like you're starving for air.

Quote:
Serowbot, did you mean the gas cap? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to check it while riding 

Yes, I didn't know either, only way is to pull over and shut her down, then check.

to sum it up, check the air filter.
I'd clean the carb, or at least seafoam as a 1st try at it.
your PC diaphragm could be hard or there's carp in there.
bikes that sit a long time develop nodules of corrosion on aluminum.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 07/27/12 at 21:44:50

Routy wrote on 05/28/12 at 22:36:27:
Serow,
Did I ever say that your test was to fool anyone,...or that it was not a good test to do before going elsewhere ?? So don't pretend I did !

The only problem is,......not you near as bad as OF,.....have everyone so paranoid of that vac petcock, that even after the test......proving it not to be the problem, they don't trust it, and still go out and spend the $30 raptorizing, only to find it money wasted. He even has them all believin (imagining) that the bike must be running better after raptorizing, just because that horrible dreaded vac PC is no longer attached to the bike in any way shape or form.

And OF,.....why would you think (say) I'm mad,...or hate ? I'm only warning the new guys here of the PC paranoia that exists here whether you see it that way or not. If they want to believe you, fine, its their money.

And to the new guys to this bike, if the conveinence and saftey factors of the vac PC are worth giving up for knowing that the vac PC will never give you trouble, go and raptorize it, its your money. But when you don't turn the valve off and your gas tank runs into your crankcase, you'll remember what I said ! Roll Eyes  

Rout,

Here's an interesting data point for you:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1152108113/0

You can watch it unfold real time....it happened several years ago.

What say you?

BTW, when I later Raptorized, I did an autopsy on the OEM petcock and could find no visible evidence of any problems with the diaphragm.  However, I DO know that capping off the vacuum line when the problem first arose completely solved my driveability problems...all of them!

As far as forgetting to turn off the petcock.....I'm an old school biker (got my first bike back in '70).  I've really got no use for them newfangled vacuum operated petcocks.  I think they cause more trouble than they prevent.

Thoughts?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 07/27/12 at 22:11:06

Wow!... That's way back...  I can't believe I ever helped Digger with a problem... Grin...
I know I've learned plenty from him... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 08/04/12 at 21:59:45

Serowbot wrote on 07/27/12 at 22:11:06:
Wow!... That's way back...  I can't believe I ever helped Digger with a problem... Grin...
I know I've learned plenty from him... Wink...

You guys have all helped me more than you'll ever know....the only reason I'm not a lurker here is because I feel a sense of debt....(raised a Catholic, I was).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:42:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock issue! Help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.