Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's a good first leather jacket? (Read 169 times)
Jon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What's a good first leather jacket?
05/28/12 at 11:38:40

Hey guys,

I'm signed up to take my riding course this summer, and need to get a jacket and pair of boots. Something classic and simple, preferably black leather. I guess the same goes for boots.

Any good suggestions? I'm hoping to keep it under 200 for both.

Thanks!

-Jon

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: What's a good first leather jacket?
Reply #1 - 05/28/12 at 12:03:41

Army surplus combat boots- around $10. Maybe a surplus jacket too?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/28/12 at 12:18:58

Good call on the army surplus boots! For a jacket I guess I'd rather get something new, doesn't even need to be leather. I've seen some cool waxed cotton jackets too.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 05/28/12 at 12:22:52

I'm a fan of denim vests if it's not too hot out.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Jon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/28/12 at 12:40:28

I like the looks of this one, and people seem to think it's a good all around jacket. It's vented for when it's hot, and also waterproof.

http://www.bikebandit.com/fieldsheer-crossroads-2-0-motorcycle-jacket

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/28/12 at 13:33:17

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/28/12 at 14:02:05

If you're taking it this summer, get a mesh jacket.
I took mine in the summer, all they required us to wear was a long sleeved shirt, pants and boots.  every break we all went and dowsed ourselves at the faucet, by the next break we were dry again.

WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #7 - 05/28/12 at 16:33:07

My daughter is a big fan of her Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket.  It's a mesh jacket for summer, but turns into a more solid one for cool or cold days.

It's a better summer jacket than my vented Olympia.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - 05/28/12 at 18:51:11

Yep, hard to beat a good mesh jacket for adaptability. I've got a Tourmaster Intake 2, and love it. With all the liners out, you barely notice it, at least as long as you're moving, even on 90°+ days. It's also got a waterproof and an insulating liner, which will make it good for some fairly chilly days. Plus it's got reflective piping, and elbow, shoulder, and spine armor. Gets a "thumbs up" from me! Smiley

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 05/28/12 at 19:35:31

Yes, I have a Joe Rocket armored mesh jacket for hot weather. For cooler weather I have a very thick River Road all leather jacket with a zip out liner for even colder weather.

DO NOT pinch pennies when buying gear that may save your hide, if not your life. Look for sales, winter sales, closeout sales, on-line sales. I got my RR jacket at 50% off from a shop that was going out of business.                          

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 05/29/12 at 06:33:57

Get the best you can afford plus $10. I got a Joe Rocket 5.0 for summer riding. Buy a Cycle World magazine and look up all the ads in the back on the Net to get ideas of what you want/like. I usually deal with Iron Pony, but there are bunches of companies out there including your local shop, where I bought mine for $120.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 05/29/12 at 06:34:38

I will not say which is the best brand or model because I ride overseas,
BUT
here's my personal experience:

1) My winter jacker is HD kevlar-reinforced cordura, with armor pads for the elbows and shoulders; the pads pull-out. Said jacket also has a removable fleece vest for winter riding (it gets 25°F and below in January...) with its own pockets, so I can wear it as an independent item.

2) My summer jacket is a mesh-type with all-around armor pads AND a spinal pad as well - pity the spinal pad is just styrofoam (foam rubber?) because it makes me sweat a lot and doesn't look like it'll do much good if I land flat on my back... still, it's there...

3) I also have a leather jacket, 1960's cool café racer style, nice side zipper to keep the wind out BUT NO ARMOR PADS  Lips Sealed so I bought it but never used it...

4) I also have a jeans jacket for summer riding, which I stopped using after I bought the mesh jacket.

Whichever jacket I use, I ALWAYS USE GLOVES  AND A FULL FACE HELMET !!! (FLIP UP)

Remember :

Your kneecaps are your bumpers,

Your arms are your side-impact bars,

You will land on your CHIN, hands, elbows and head, as you try to protect your belly, or on your back, so that's where you will need protection.

I have never ridden into a deer or moose but I have had a few close calls with other four legged critters such as scooter riders, bicycle riders and moms pushing shopping carts or driving and looking over the rear seat... Wink
...so take care !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 05/29/12 at 12:06:33

Well since cost is  a concern I would go check the local goodwill. I got my jacket from goodwill for 10 bucks. Just make sure that's it a real leather jacket and not some knock off pleather. Also I see next to new jackets in the motorcycle section of craigslist all the time for half what they cost retail.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #13 - 06/04/12 at 12:56:38

A good first leather jacket is the one you choose to wear. Wink

You may also try some Pawn Shops.  They usually have some good used higher quality leather riding gear at reasonable prices and you can usually haggle with them too.  I would look for one with a zip-out liner vest for use on those colder days.  Just my 2-cents.... Smiley

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Sam7.62

It made better sense
in my head...

Tampa, Fla
Reply #14 - 06/04/12 at 20:06:19

I'm a broke ass but I buy the best I can the first time, when I can. I need my stuff to last.
Boots, I would look at Red Wings. (US made) I think mine are 607's As for jacket check out motorport.
Neither are cheap but both well worth the investment. I wear the boots everyday.  

Surplus boots I would look into are corocran II's  

I know, Not much help

'08 S40 Jardine,Debadged,Backoff/XP brake flasher deal
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:25:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › What's a good first leather jacket?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.