Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40? (Read 1114 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40?
Reply #60 - 07/06/12 at 12:02:00

arteacher wrote on 07/06/12 at 06:34:39:
I too get quite a few comments.
"Look at the size of that jug! How many cc's is it?" Being the most common.
I ride with a few guys- A Harley, a Honda 750 and a BMW 1200. I can easily ride away from them all up to 50 mph, and pretty much keep up till 70 mph.

A sunday school member taht is in the CMA and traded up from his Honda 750 to an HD ( that he admits to me had $4k in upgrades), couldn't figure out just what I had. He's best guess was a 350. When i said it was a 650 he was impressed.

I didn't buy mine to impress anyone. I like it, my son is ready to kill me to get it (ok maybe not kill, tie up), and his youth director is iching to as well. Me, I just toodle back and forth, putting $5.00 a week in gas. I figure in 3 weeks I saved $150 in gas. Might go on an overnight MC trip.. even if the hotel cost $80 I would be ahead.

IP Logged
zippythezip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Springhill,Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #61 - 07/10/12 at 16:57:38

Well I opened my shed door this spring and  there she was...my old corroded, rusted 1981 CB750c. Every year it was getting harder and harder to steel wool it to perfection. But it always ran like a top.
Almost 50000km and never missed a beat.
Then I got a "dirt bike" on the brain so I went window shopping.
The klr650, very nice, but could not touch the ground. No I say to the dealer I don't want a lower kit and new seat. so then at the Suzuki dealer I try the DR400, I thought the 650 was high. Only bike that I could get a foot down easy was the dr200, it felt so so small. Like I had tried the "three bears bikes" I was baby bear. Then at the back I saw a new S40, I sat on it and loved it. Love at first sight  Grin
So I told them yea I want it. Then on the way home I saw a used 03 savage, the condition was pretty much the same as the new one, and it only had 4600 km.  Sold to me  Smiley

I only wanted a smaller bike the huge buses found at coffee shops don't interest me and I also wanted to drop an insurance bracket, and have good gas mileage to save money.
Then I came here, read lot and lots and lots of posts and the tech section. Saw  what ryca were doing and I said I want a tracker style bike. After riding her for a few months now I think I am happy the way it is, well the seat sucks, makes the top of my tushy go numb.
The bike is light, quick enough for what I want, looks good. I really enjoy riding the bike.
I will change the seat later and maybe some nice person here will sell me the bars and risers from their S40.

IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Reply #62 - 07/14/12 at 14:04:53

I can think of several good ones...

1 I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. Principle. And after looking around at what's available, it doesn't seem to get much simpler than this. I guess if I could rebuild a Holly Double pumper, w/mechanical secondaries, I can keep My S40 running.

2 I am a cheap SOB. I hate giving my money to someone when I can do it as good or better. The S40 is tailor made for the shadetree mechanic. The tough stuff? I know who to call.  Cool

3 This Bike takes me back to the days of my youth. My first MC ride was on the back of my Dad's mid 50's Indian 125.  Seems to me it was the first year it had a foot shift. 2-stroke. I was about 4.  Later, I had friends with BSA's and Trophy Trails. Thumpers were still "in".

4 I love the light nimble handling. I can toss this bike around a lot better than some 600lb monster.  Yes the seat is a little uncomfortable, But after the seat lift mod, better than stock. I'm 6'2" 230lbs, and I actually feel quite comfortable overall.

5 Lastly, but not least(ly)... I like it's rakish good looks. Very clean. Uncluttered. What's that word again? Oh yeah! SIMPLE.  Single.

Thumpers-4-ever!

Happy Riding!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #63 - 07/14/12 at 23:00:25

Marcos that's about as good a description as I've heard. And yes..these great scooters do take me back to a day when thumpers were "cool"!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Mike W.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lemoore,CA
Reply #64 - 07/29/12 at 18:16:59

I bought it cheap.
It's a blast to ride.
I can't afford the Moto Guzzi V7 Stone that I lust for. :'(
I have the Verslavy Mod and this bike will run forever!
Did I mention this bike is a blast to ride????
(Oh, and I have short legs.)
Mike

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #65 - 07/30/12 at 20:20:53

Because nobody seems willing to offer me NADA book value for it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #66 - 07/31/12 at 10:19:57

Drifter wrote on 07/05/12 at 15:26:45:
I agree with you guys, Harley uses the same engine in 20 different models, Suzuki would have to invest very little to make different versions of this bike. Its a hole lot cheaper to make a new frame seat and tank than to start from scratch with a new bike and engine. Besides they have street cred world wide with this bike its been built for so long.  1986-2012....13?

I have a 500 vulcan and Ninja 500 both are great bikes, with 180 cranks, its hard to get them to sound good...i finally did after several experiments. The Ninja will run 132 MPH stock. Plenty fast for me anymore and to fast for most to start with!

I dont get the bigger is better thing....i think alot of HD riders are senile and impotent and need the loud pipes ..cant here to good...look at me....1800cc...long stroke...dreams.. 800 lbs like them and 50 hp average 500cc metric...dont bother they wont believe you Shocked Would be a great study for some PHD. darn i better be carefull of what i say i might be a few short years away from being a harley owner.... Shocked  Best marketing in the world!! All manufactures could learn from them ...using the same engine works!!

There have been rumors that Triumph is developing a new cub in 250-350cc look forward to that. Suzukis TU 250 is a cool little retro bike with FI. I do hope Suzuki keeps the S40 around next year and adds FI. 2012 is the last year for carbs on street bikes so it might be the end of the line for the savage.....it would be so easy to add FI and a bigger tank!!  Suzuki are you listening????  Smiley

If by "the same engine" you mean V-twin, then yes, they're the same.  But if you mean by displacement, IIRC Harley offers 4 different displacement V-Twin engines currently.

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #67 - 07/31/12 at 10:21:38

High_Plains_Thumpr wrote on 07/05/12 at 10:44:35:
I think it would be neat if Harley would reproduce the Sprint as retro with say a Buell Blast 500 cc thumper engine.    Smiley

True, but the Harley and Buell partnership ended a couple years ago.  Buell barely has any funding ($20M from China, last I heard) and no dealership network these days.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #68 - 07/31/12 at 10:26:23

I'll echo what a lot of people are saying - people can't believe it's a 650!  Grin Wink Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:27:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.