Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40? (Read 1114 times)
DangRider
Ex Member

Re: Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40?
Reply #45 - 07/02/12 at 11:20:02

I have a co-worker who's hobby is buying / fixing / selling cars and motorcycles and he usually turns a profit in the process.  I thought that sounded like fun so I looked around and found a Savage for $500 with a major oil leak and dove in.  

Turns out I dove in way over my head.  Some stripped threads in the cylinder required removing the engine and finding a machinist to install heli-coils.  A bit intimidating for a guy who's only done simple repairs (valve cover gasket, water pump, etc.) but I had more time than money so I proceeded carefully, with lots of reading in Clymer's and here.  It's back together now and it fired up after priming the carb.  I quickly turned it off so I could break it in properly later (replaced valve seals, honed the cylinder and replaced rings while it was open).

My wife saw how I was grinning each time I came in from working on it and said "why don't you keep it?"  Really? - Yes!

So now I have two hobbies - wrenching and reading here while I wait on forks to replace the bent ones I didn't notice earlier  Undecided.

Two other guys at work have picked up Savages so we have a bit of a club starting here.  Makes for great water cooler talk!

So I lucked into a Savage with my naive buying, but I'm staying for the fun wrenching on a reliable, simple bike and the wide open modification possibilities down the road.

I have to say that this forum, the people here, make a big difference in the experience of owning the bike.  Really appreciate the wealth of great information shared and friendly, courteous tone of the forums (most of the time, anyway  Wink).

IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #46 - 07/02/12 at 17:27:00

I've had and ridden quite  a few different bike, ya including the HD . As I got older I found myself wanting the classic throw back style bike , without the big headaches and price tag. Saw a used Savage at a dealers took a test drive and took it home. Great,even for us shade tree mechanics, it has taught me a lot, so easy to work on, with the forum's help.
Started to mod the bike for my personality and my liking. I do not thing I'll ever buy a different bike, just a great all around ride.

IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #47 - 07/03/12 at 05:38:17

I got mine as something to learn on.
-It's my first bike
-It's the biggest engine I could get (400cc) as a first bike to learn on (military rules).
-It looks cool, except for the rust from a lazy PO
-Gives me something to work on.. I'm bored so I needed a hobby
-It's small and lightweight, so it's easy to maneuver
-I hate sport bikes (uncomfortable for my back, shoulders, knees)
-It's comfortable to ride for the most part
-And.. this forum is awesome.

1997 Suzuki Savage LS400 - Seat Lift Mod, Lotsa Rust and Rattling parts...

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 - Lots of mods
2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 07/03/12 at 14:35:37

Drifter wrote on 05/27/12 at 06:28:59:
Here are some of my reasons what are yours?
1. Light weight
2. Cheap to Buy.
3. Simple and basic.
4. Reliable!!
5. Produced for 26 years...amazing!  2013?
6. Easy to mod.
7. Parts are cheap and easy to find.
8. Single cylinder.
9. Air cooled
10. Threaded valve adjusters..no shims!

All the above. What more does one need?   Grin

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 07/03/12 at 23:15:33

It's a primal experience to ride an ls650. It reminds me of riding my Rupp minibike back in the day. The sound and feel of a Thumper is unparalled. I love the weight to torque ratio, the flickability, the simple design, the "what is that" questions it evokes, belt drive, reliability and quirkiness. With my mods to the bike, it really is a beaut to ride, I have a Vulcan 800A as well,(it has it's own merits) but the s40 is a great scoot! The mirrors on the s40 don't vibrate a bit, but the Vulcan's do? Time for homemade bar snake...

JohnnyCat

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 07/04/12 at 08:07:48

SuperSavage wrote on 07/03/12 at 23:15:33:
It's a primal experience to ride an ls650. It reminds me of riding my Rupp minibike back in the day. The sound and feel of a Thumper is unparalleled. I love the weight to torque ratio, the flick-ability, the simple design, the "what is that" questions it evokes, belt drive, reliability and quirkiness. With my mods to the bike, it really is a beaut to ride, I have a Vulcan 800A as well,(it has it's own merits) but the s40 is a great scoot! The mirrors on the s40 don't vibrate a bit, but the Vulcan's do? Time for homemade bar snake...

The utility of the Savage was best illustrated during a recent 650 mile round trip from Clovis, NM near the Texas Panhandle border to Chama, NM near the Colorado border. Traveled in 106F heat near Fort Sumner to 53F cool (wunderground.com data) near Chama, with 44 mile portion at 75 MPH on I-40, climbing at grades to 6%, etc.

The Savage kept chugging right along. A few bikers commented on the big single jug it has. Had absolutely no problems keeping up with the traffic. Yes, she's cruise capable.

Maintenance during ride consisting adding a quarter quart of oil every 200 miles. (AFAIK, the air cooled engine''s looser fit and warmer operating temperatures contribute to this. Some have ruined the head cam bearing surfaces by not keeping the oil level up, the cost of simplicity, LOL. With no water jacket, there's no worry of overheating.)

Next, I'm planning a trip from Clovis, NM to Hatfield, AR (1250 mi. R/T) in October. Will keep all posted.  Grin

Oh, and BTW, my mirrors do shake a little. I've got extra long stems to see past my broad shoulders.   Cheesy

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 07/05/12 at 05:00:02

Its way cheaper and more reliable than the Royal Enfield bullet.

Now if suzuki were smart they would build a retro version, a bobber version, a cafe version a bagger version etc.  

I am considering putting a savage motor in a RE frame, best of both worlds. Cant understand why no factory can do this????

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #52 - 07/05/12 at 07:42:04

Drifter wrote on 07/05/12 at 05:00:02:
Its way cheaper and more reliable than the Royal Enfield bullet.

Now if suzuki were smart they would build a retro version, a bobber version, a cafe version a bagger version etc.  

I am considering putting a savage motor in a RE frame, best of both worlds. Cant understand why no factory can do this????  

Drifter all the manufacturers have missed the boat as far as the big singles and 360* twins are concerned. Every brand used to have several of each in their lineup. Look now and almost everything is V-Twin Harley knockoffs except the crotch-rockets that are triples and fours.

Yamaha has even dropped their VStar 650 now. Kawasaki has dropped the Vulcan 500 360* twin. The 883 Sportster is considered a "starter" bike. It seems that everyone has bought into the American advertising gimmick of "size matters" Sad .

My first bike was a thumper...a Harley Sprint SS350. HD now refuses to acknowledge they ever had them! Go figure!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 07/05/12 at 10:44:35

Drifter wrote on 07/05/12 at 05:00:02:
Its way cheaper and more reliable than the Royal Enfield bullet. Now if suzuki were smart they would build a retro version, a bobber version, a cafe version a bagger version etc. I am considering putting a savage motor in a RE frame, best of both worlds. Cant understand why no factory can do this????

They do market surveys, go with what they think will obtain sales with optimum (least) manufacturing costs at good profit. Even Harley more or less makes "basic" models, to which owners and rebuild shops enhance and modify.

I've had sales people steer me from the "beginner" Savage and Kawasaki 500 LTD for more expensive larger cc bikes as "more desirable" ("You'll grow tired of that Savage/500LTD quickly!") Also there is ignorance in the riding community, looking at the S40 as a beginner's bike.

Personally, I'd like to see an 800 cc Savage. Now that would be a real rider. I don't know if someone makes an overbore and oversized piston combo in that size.

If one goes for an overbore of 2 mm with say, a Wiseco oversize piston, effective volume goes up from 652 cc to 695 cc, enough to call the bike 700 cc's.

ZAR wrote on 07/05/12 at 07:42:04:
Drifter all the manufacturers have missed the boat as far as the big singles and 360* twins are concerned. Every brand used to have several of each in their lineup. Look now and almost everything is V-Twin Harley knockoffs except the crotch-rockets that are triples and fours.

Yamaha has even dropped their VStar 650 now. Kawasaki has dropped the Vulcan 500 360* twin. The 883 Sportster is considered a "starter" bike. It seems that everyone has bought into the American advertising gimmick of "size matters" Sad .
Unfortunately this "size matters" is true. (The only legitimate reason is for older gentlemen to make up for testosterone loss Smiley) The Vulcan 500LTD is definitely not a beginner's bike IMO. It has a detuned Ninja 500 motor and is a little larger than the Savage frame wise. It is definitely a cruiser I wouldn't mind owning (add to the stable at a right price).

These including the Harley 883 are not beginner bikes. A newbie needs something that is light, easy to tool around in to get their basic riding skills in order. Something in the 100 to 250 cc range is really what they need. Once they have their basic skills in order (balance, riding, gear shifting, acceleration, braking, maneuvering, lane positioning, evasive maneuvers, etc.), moving on to one of these "intermediate" bikes would be the right ticket.

I am grateful during my college years, I had a used 1971 Honda CB100 bike. (In 1979 as a student, I picked it up from a used parts dealer (breakers) for $300.) During those couple years, I dropped that bike a number of times (indestructible!), but I got totally familiar with it. (Still have it!)

However, there is a cult following with the Savage/S40. During a recent CMA motorcycle meet in Chama, a number of riders took an interest in the Savage, especially in light that I rode it in on my 325 mile (524 km) trek, taking note of the engine's very large jug. It's an attention getter. And there was a 44 mile (71 km) portion of I-40 that I traveled 75 MPH (121 kmh at 5200 rpm).

ZAR wrote on 07/05/12 at 07:42:04:
My first bike was a thumper...a Harley Sprint SS350. HD now refuses to acknowledge they ever had them! Go figure!

This is not hard to figure out. Harley Davidson was purchased by AMF some 4 decades ago. The Sprint SS 350 although an excellent bike, was an Italian Aermacchi sold under the Harley name. IMO, current Harley upper management doesn't consider AMF ownership as under the Harley tradition. That is when quality control in Harley suffered with their home produced offerings.

I think it would be neat if Harley would reproduce the Sprint as retro with say a Buell Blast 500 cc thumper engine.    Smiley

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #54 - 07/05/12 at 11:13:11

HPT I've been throwing the SprintSS/Buell 500 thumper idea at HD dealers for several years now with mixed results. Mostly those results have been either laughed out of the joint or pitched out of it!!!

And like you,my Savage gets a lot of comments everywhere I go. And when people see that I run the Interstate at 70mph and travel 500-1000 miles a week on it they sit up and really take notice. Then they mumble something about crazy fools on mopeds on the Interstate and go shopping for an even bigger HD knockoff!

Go figure!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 07/05/12 at 15:26:45

I agree with you guys, Harley uses the same engine in 20 different models, Suzuki would have to invest very little to make different versions of this bike. Its a hole lot cheaper to make a new frame seat and tank than to start from scratch with a new bike and engine. Besides they have street cred world wide with this bike its been built for so long.  1986-2012....13?

I have a 500 vulcan and Ninja 500 both are great bikes, with 180 cranks, its hard to get them to sound good...i finally did after several experiments. The Ninja will run 132 MPH stock. Plenty fast for me anymore and to fast for most to start with!

I dont get the bigger is better thing....i think alot of HD riders are senile and impotent and need the loud pipes ..cant here to good...look at me....1800cc...long stroke...dreams.. 800 lbs like them and 50 hp average 500cc metric...dont bother they wont believe you Shocked Would be a great study for some PHD. darn i better be carefull of what i say i might be a few short years away from being a harley owner.... Shocked  Best marketing in the world!! All manufactures could learn from them ...using the same engine works!!

There have been rumors that Triumph is developing a new cub in 250-350cc look forward to that. Suzukis TU 250 is a cool little retro bike with FI. I do hope Suzuki keeps the S40 around next year and adds FI. 2012 is the last year for carbs on street bikes so it might be the end of the line for the savage.....it would be so easy to add FI and a bigger tank!!  Suzuki are you listening????  Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/05/12 at 18:29:54 by Drifter »  
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 07/05/12 at 16:30:48

ZAR wrote on 07/05/12 at 11:13:11:
HPT I've been throwing the SprintSS/Buell 500 thumper idea at HD dealers for several years now with mixed results. Mostly those results have been either laughed out of the joint or pitched out of it!!!

IMO, laughing is basically a psycological defense mechanism and poor strategy to put down people who don't fit the mold or meet their conceptual interest of a buyer. If they really were to consider you a customer or a potential friend that might steer others toward them, they would have stated something more kind and express a willingness to help you when you decide you'd like to look further down the road at one of their offerings.

Quote:
And like you,my Savage gets a lot of comments everywhere I go. And when people see that I run the Interstate at 70mph and travel 500-1000 miles a week on it they sit up and really take notice.

Yes, the Savage is definitely capable and an attention getter.

Quote:
Then they mumble something about crazy fools on mopeds on the Interstate and go shopping for an even bigger HD knockoff! Go figure!

To be a leader is to stand apart from others. The reason for a bigger bike is to impress others. Just like you, I don't need to spend as much for as for a car, to enjoy my ride. Besides, motorcycles, especially the "rice" brands depreciate heavily. If I want something larger, I'll wait patiently and pick something up in near mint condition (like my Savage in 2002) for a song!   Grin Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 07/06/12 at 01:05:46

Drifter wrote on 05/27/12 at 06:28:59:
Here are some of my reasons what are yours?
1. Light weight
2. Cheap to Buy.
3. Simple and basic.
4. Reliable!!
5. Produced for 26 years...amazing!  2013?
6. Easy to mod.
7. Parts are cheap and easy to find.
8. Single cylinder.
9. Air cooled
10. Threaded valve adjusters..no shims!

Yes to all of these statements PLUS, with a 30" inseam, I needed a ride with a relatively low seat height and my 06 S40 is perfect!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #58 - 07/06/12 at 06:34:39

I too get quite a few comments.
"Look at the size of that jug! How many cc's is it?" Being the most common.
I ride with a few guys- A Harley, a Honda 750 and a BMW 1200. I can easily ride away from them all up to 50 mph, and pretty much keep up till 70 mph.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 07/06/12 at 11:41:56

Just take that action up into the mountains where the windy roads say you can't ever break 65mph -- the Savage rules up there where the air is thin.

To which statement the 600cc crotch rockets all laugh quietly amongst themselves ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:19:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.