Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40? (Read 1114 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40?
Reply #30 - 05/29/12 at 12:21:55

I bought mine as my first road bike because it was inexpensive and large enough to put a smile on my face  Grin

My wife initially had no interest in riding with me, but I always hoped that she would want to. After about 18 months of riding, and giving my daughters rides to school and such, she finally asked if I was ever going to take her for a ride. I did, and she was hooked  Grin She still says she has no interest in riding it herself, but enjoys riding with me.
The bike is a little small for the two of us, so eventually I will add another bigger bike, but when I do, I don't think I will be able to sell my first bike.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
TheShaggyDA
YaBB Newbies

England
Reply #31 - 05/29/12 at 12:57:13

Fell in love with the Savage when I first saw one in a dealers in the early 90's. I've always liked simplicity, and here was a bike that just looked so clean, it quickly became my yardstick for comparing other bikes. Unfortunately it never seemed to be the right price or time to buy one. Over the years I've had a lot of bikes, but my favourites have been the singles, with low down torquey grunt - particularly my '63 AJS M16 :-

and a 2004 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic :-

When I had the Bullet, I saw a line drawing of an Enfield chop that is pleasing to the eye :-

Look familiar? Smiley

Hopefully, a '94 Savage will be sitting in my garage in place of the '99 CB500X in the next week Smiley

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #32 - 05/29/12 at 14:03:09

Low buy in price (used), light weight, belt drive, no carbs to sync, lots of torque, everybody not in the know thinks its a sportster Grin,  this forum, and just to be different.

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #33 - 05/29/12 at 15:00:26

Couldn't ask for a better bike to learn on.
Has the perfect amount of room to learn, by that I mean you wont get bored of it to quick like you might with a 250.
Perfect bike to learn on, Even for a guy of my stature the bike is perfect. There have been several instances that if I head a much heavier bike I would've lost a couple turn signals and foot pegs......
Its simple!! If you're learning how to do work on a bike a single cylinder is perfect!

if only somehow i could convince all the kids my age that you shouldn't ask your rich parents to buy you a hayabusa for your first bike then we'd have less motorcycle accidents....

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #34 - 05/29/12 at 15:32:42

This is my 4th bike . But I didn't have one from 1989 to 2009. I went down to the Suzuki dealer to see what was available . I spotted the s40 and liked it's style and size . I imagined I wanted a black one,and a few days later there was a black  2005 with 2,500 mi on craigslist not too far from me . I contacted the seller ,and bought it . A decent price too ,I thought. I ride almost every day and really enjoy it . And this forum is the icing on the cake!

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #35 - 05/29/12 at 20:47:37

It's a bit roundabout, but here's the story:

When my daughter wanted to move from the pillion to the rider's seat, I found the Buell Blast that a friend had used as her first bike.  It needed a little work, so I was riding it back and forth to a local Harley shop.  It was so much fun getting on a thumper, that I just had to have one.

So I indulged myself with an '04 Royal Enfield 500.  The nearest dealer was 90 miles away, I had some fun fitting it out so that, aside from the disk brake, it was pretty true to it's 1953 heritage.  Right foot shift, solo springer seat, lots of fun things.

I had it for a few years and finally found out that the combination of British design and Indian quality control was, at least for me, insurmountable.  

So I found the Savage -- the RELIABLE thumper.  

To quote Forrest Gump, "Simple is as simple does."

And, in a quote attributed to the Soviet era industrial designer, Mikhael Kalashnakov, "What is simple is beautiful, and what is simple always works."

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 05/30/12 at 07:20:11

Yup.  I think of it as the VW bug (the old ones, not the bugs they make now) of bikes.  Carbureted, air-cooled, (belt-driven is good too, but not part of the VW analogy); in short, relatively simple to maintain and inexpensive to own and operate.  These are important to me as I'm not a professional mechanic but I want to do most of my own maintenance and I don't have a lot of disposable income.  If I could get rid of the electronic ignition and revert to a points & condenser setup, I'd be completely satisfied.  Even with the igniter unit, she's still a great bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #37 - 06/06/12 at 20:52:28

Like arteacher and Lancer I started out on a thumper. Mine was a Harley Sprint SS350. I've had other bikes and always wanted a Triumph Bonnie but when it's time to put up or shut up..........the big singles always win!

Simple design,simple maintenance,tourqey as He&& and just a fun ride that's dependable for my 80 mile a day commute to work. And it ain't another Harley wanna-be!!!!!!

PLUS.....one really great group here at Savage.com Grin

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 06/07/12 at 15:09:16

because it has 2 wheels, belt drive, single, between 500 and 750.

WWW   IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 06/27/12 at 14:33:45

I forgot to add someone that is handicapped or has a hand injury it has a very easy pull clutch even 2 fingers will pull it and the light weight is easy to get off the side stand and move around period.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #40 - 06/27/12 at 14:55:14

I bought mine because it was within the price range I was looking at. Plus it was a large single. I also love the basic lines of the Savage kinda looks like a smaller HD but without all the breakdown issues Smiley

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #41 - 06/27/12 at 23:33:05

low price, easy, dynamic (I have LS 400.compared with other bikes, Honda, Yamaha), light weight, belt drive, no carbs to sync.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #42 - 06/28/12 at 06:18:15

I (sadly) no longer own an LS650, despite owning 2 in the past (an '03 Savage and an '05 S40) ... loved 'em both; perfect fit and near-ideal for my life/riding style. Currently own and enjoy Riding a 2007 Kawasaki ZZ-R250 (EX250-H) but after Riding a lady-friend's recently acquired 2004 Savage a couple of weeks ago, I know I won't rest until I have another LS650 someday! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #43 - 06/29/12 at 06:10:53

Because it is what I can afford

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #44 - 06/29/12 at 10:43:23

I got mine because:
- it was big enough to ride two up safely on the highway.
- it had disc brakes in the front (my previous bike had drum front and back)
- had a sissy bar for Mrs. Tolerance
- was in good shape even though it was 20 years old
- I could afford it

I keep it because:
- I can do all my own servicing on it. (even if it does take me a while to get around to it)
- I can wind it out and still be in control (no 300km/hr bikes for me)
- It has more torque than I need around the city
- It's light enough to bomb around the city through traffic

all that, and besides, I've grown rather fond of dear Nessy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:17:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.