Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40? (Read 1114 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Re: Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40?
Reply #15 - 05/27/12 at 18:01:54

lightweight, aircooled simplicity, and I knew the previous owner so I knew it was taken care of. ...and, like Serobot, it wasn't "just another Harley". (Man I get tired of those guys, even the other H-D riders get tired of those guys) The first time I opened her up I was hooked!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #16 - 05/27/12 at 18:06:53

I was looking locally for a small crusier style bike, and this is what I found. I have only had it a month, but I have enjoyed it. There are some things that Ihave had on other bikes that I like as done by them better, but overall this is nice bike.

I am only 5'7" and 160lbs, so the bike is pleanty big, and commutes great. Good on gas, seems easy to work on, though I haven't had to yet.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #17 - 05/27/12 at 19:23:43

I like the thump and simplicity, but wish the handlebars were dampened a bit so I could ride further.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 05/27/12 at 21:11:22

Thump !  Thump !  Thump !

and

There ain't anything else even close to being so simple .    

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #19 - 05/27/12 at 21:20:32

Great donor bike for the RYCA cafe conversion.  It turns heads everywhere I go. Grin Grin Grin

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 05/27/12 at 21:23:43

I was looking to get back in the business after 30+ years, and it was in a small local sale paper and dropping in price after the first week. After the owner sent me an email and a side view of the Savage I told him I needed to ride it. He said fine, but if I went down it was mine. After a mile down the road and back it was a deal. I guess I just got lucky?

But I didn't have to keep it. That was all the Savage's charm. Fast, pretty, reliable, light, cheap, mechanic friendly, and nobody around knows what it is since I removed the side cover decals.  Grin And this support group is good, too. Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #21 - 05/28/12 at 02:09:08

I've had two LS650's in the past and loved 'em both ... I no longer own one, but I did Ride a Savage yesterday ... am teaching a friend to Ride and she has an old '96 LS ... scooting on that brought back a lot of memories and a lot of familiar sensations! (In voice of Wayne Campbell), Oh yes ... one day I will have another Savage!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #22 - 05/28/12 at 05:24:46

Because this forum is awesome! Every question has been asked and answered on here -- it's the best manual in the world. Grin

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #23 - 05/28/12 at 08:15:24

Why do I ride a Savage ?

1) it's a BIKE, not a child's electric scooter

2) it's a thumper, just like my first love

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 05/28/12 at 13:15:41

My first big single experience was in 1969, Olathe Kansas, it was a 1956 BSA Goldstar freshly rebuilt for 1/2 & 1 mile flat track racing.  It was LOVE @ FIRST RIDE.
It was bad to the bone !
The photo is of a '62 Goldstar with all the stuff needed to ride on the street.  

My '96 Savage early on in its transformation.

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #25 - 05/28/12 at 20:06:51

All the reasons listed, especially #3. The existence and quality of this forum, was, and remains, a HUGE factor. And the cool thing is, the longer I own it, the more I like my decision to buy it. EVERYTHING else I look at costs too much &/or weighs too much &/or is too complex (oxy sensors, multiple everything, etc., etc.). I LOVE the way this bike invites my involvement, tinkering, changing, adding, subtracting - all without breaking the bank. This has been perhaps the most rewarding and satisfying purchase I've ever made.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #26 - 05/28/12 at 22:13:44

I fell for it the first time I saw it on display at Vancouver's Expo '86.  It is a great looking bike.

IP Logged
cowboy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/29/12 at 06:40:39

i got mine because i needed a lite bike that i can load and unload by my self. and not fast. i know me and i,d be pulling wheelies and gettn tickets. mine is used as a small parts runner.and to spot equipment. and i use it for fun too. i had two other thumpers both yamaha s a sr500 and a xt500 loved both. and a bsa 250 Cool

DSCN2896_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #28 - 05/29/12 at 09:32:54

As a new adult rider, I did a lot of research and decided on the s40 based on this web site as well as the web site at the link below. Although number 9 on the top ten list, the s40 has the largest displacement and I believed would be the best all around for me. After learning the basics on the much bent 250's at the MSF course, migration to the S40 was easy. The weight is about the same and the extra torque really helps. Just my 2 cents.
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/howtostartridin1/tp/Ten-Beginner-Bikes.htm

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #29 - 05/29/12 at 10:29:35

i got mine because it was the best "fit" for me when i wanted to learn to ride - then i was glad i got it instead others i had sat on because it was easy to maintain, got great gas mileage, looked cool, sounded cool was a pleasure to ride.......some day i will get another one just because of the sentimental value of having owned one as my first ever bike.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:25:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why Do You Ride or Own A Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.