Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Let's move Memorial Day back to the 30th of May (Read 156 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Let's move Memorial Day back to the 30th of May
05/26/12 at 22:24:35

This day should not be used as a "kickoff to summer." It should not be a three day party weekend. I know that people who have fun and enjoy this weekend can also remember what the holiday is for. But this really should be a somber holiday and not a three day weekend to be made into a party.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: Let's move Memorial Day back to the 30th of Ma
Reply #1 - 05/26/12 at 23:25:51

I agree but its probably never gonna happen. The only people affected by the wars now are the Vets and their families. The average American gets bored with it. We dont fight to win anymore so people lose interest. To all you Vets on this website who served our country you have my deepest gratitude. You dont get the recognition you deserve but I would like to say thanks for a job well done.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/26/12 at 23:35:04

30th,,.. also my dad's birthday...  so, I visited his grave today...
I go early, so other vets will see his flowers...

... but,... I also plan a barbecue...

Honour the fallen...
Respects to you, Star,...
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 05/27/12 at 05:58:59

Up here we celebrate the "May 2-4" weekend, on the closest Monday to May 24. A weekend for young people to go camping and drink large amounts of beer. Also known as Victoria Day, to celebrate the birthday of a dead queen from another country. (England).
Our Veterans Day is Nov. 11, but we don't have a holiday.  Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #4 - 05/27/12 at 19:11:47

I ,too, would like to see it taken more seriously but from what I see on a retail floor, we may be the last generation to fully appreciate it! If they don't respect the living why should they respect the dead?

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #5 - 05/27/12 at 19:38:29

I hesitate to bring it up, but the isolation of our military from the population happens because we have a volunteer military.  When you have a draft, every family has an investment in the military.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/27/12 at 20:22:27

friday flags placed at every tombstone @ our local fed cem
today retire(and destroy w/proper honors) the flag that flies over the quad there
tommorow gathering of living vets and citizens to remember the fallen
who sacrificed themselves for our freedom

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 05/27/12 at 21:13:25

Boys and girls, we need to educate our children. My daughter and I just finished watching the Gary Sinese Joe Mantegna Capitol salute to Memorial Day. It was entertaining but very touching. She asked me lots of questions. (She's 14) I told her all the Viet Nam folks and Korea folks and Iraq and Afghanistan people we go to church with during the show and watched a tribute to our Mississippi people from mostly Viet Nam. We can moan all we want about school and society and all the bad stuff in the world and our own government, but WE need to take time to show our children what is important.

Serowbot. my wife and I took our daughter to the cemetery to put a flag on dad's grave yesterday just after we came from the funeral home where his brother lay. Thanks to any and all who served in any way.  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 05/28/12 at 09:16:23

Here's the NBC Nightly News coverage of my hometown's tribute to our fallen heros...

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/26/11897204-the-beauty-in-the...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 05/29/12 at 06:39:25

Thanks, Ejid.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 05/29/12 at 06:57:55

Italy has two Veterans' Days, one on May 24th, to celebrate May 24th, 1915, when Italy joined the WW1 effort (and got back quite a slice of Italian territory from Austria).

The other is November 4th, to celebrate Nov.1918 when Austria said " 'nuff! " and signed the Armistice.

We do not feel there is anything worth celebrating re: WW2, although the "Democratic Party" (previously known as "Communist Party"  Shocked) will rouse a lot of hubbub over April 25...

gerald.hughes wrote on 05/27/12 at 19:38:29:
I hesitate to bring it up, but the isolation of our military from the population happens because we have a volunteer military.  When you have a draft, every family has an investment in the military.

I lived in the US during the Nixon years, and I remember all the protesting and marching not only against the war in Vietnam, but against the draft as well.
A well-fed nation which lives in peace generally does not like to see its youth whisked away for the draft.
This was true in Europe as well. Italy revamped its "love affair" with the military only when it switched from draft to enlistment some 15 years ago.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 05/29/12 at 20:58:15

I don't think it should be solely military, but some sort of national service would be a positive force for our country.  Pulling young people off the labor market, taking them away from home and having them do something useful while meeting their contemporaries from different backgrounds would truly expand their education.  Maybe tie it in with a college/technical training grant, too.

What about all the young single moms?  Well, four days a week at their primary assignment and one day working at the child care center.  Heck, there's a lot of parenting and child-care skills they can pick up.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 05/30/12 at 00:51:27

I'm with Doc H... military, or Peace Corps,.. or volunteer at Habitat for Humanity, or any of many services to the public good...
... but,.. a selfless service... to better humanity...
... and rewarded by assistance to education, apprenticeship, or employment...
A chance to equal the playing field... for those born without a silver spoon, to make their place using a steel shovel...

Equal access is not a reality,.. but, at least equal opportunity, with determined effort...
Poor people don't want a free ride... just a ride... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 05/30/12 at 03:14:08

drharveys - FSO wrote on 05/29/12 at 20:58:15:
I don't think it should be solely military, but some sort of national service would be a positive force for our country.  Pulling young people off the labor market, taking them away from home and having them do something useful while meeting their contemporaries from different backgrounds would truly expand their education. ...

I second that.

All Nations throughout Europe have some kind of "Civil Defense" or "Civilian Protection" organization. I believe in the US it is called FEMA.

Drafting young High School graduates for a one year stint working for FEMA would be an interesting experience.
Out of State, obviously  Wink

Possibly really really far away from home (I'm not kidding, one year away from your family, having to look after yourself, before going to College, would mean Freshmen would be a lot more responsible for themselves)

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 05/30/12 at 07:11:47

I think two years of mandatory service at age 18 would be very appropriate.  It like the idea of it being focused primarily on military service but other areas like National Guard, forest/parks service, border patrol, FEMA or some other civil service capacity could also be a part of this.

On the subject of changing Memorial Day back to the 30th, I agree.  I'm not sure if, prior to changing it in 1971, studies may have been done and they decided that a 3-day weekend leaving an uninterrupted 4-day work week disrupted productivity less or something like that but I agree with the idea of getting the focus back to the real intent of remembering our fallen.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:25:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Let's move Memorial Day back to the 30th of May

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.